Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:58 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,566,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You shouldn't be in this situation in the future, because he's now an adult, and you don't need to be monitoring his grades. If you are paying for college, I suppose you should know that he's passing, at least. Otherwise, back off. I thought we were talking about a kid.
Agreed. I also thought we were talking about a child. He's an adult. He needs to navigate this himself. If you are paying for all or part of college, you may want to tell him that you will only pay if he's passing everything. Other than that, you don't need to be involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM

4,275 posts, read 6,362,565 times
My kids' schools have their grades online and my kids know that I check every other day AND get notifications on my phone about their grades. The rule in our house is that if a class's overall grade drops below a B, they lose all electronics until it's back up to a B - whether that takes 1 grade or 5 grades. I don't force my kids to be A students, necessarily.

Most times their grades drop because they fail to turn in work on time - rarely do they get low grades on actual projects, quizzes and tests.

If they DID have regular low grades because of not testing well or not knowing the material, I'd consider getting a tutor or meeting with the teacher to find out what alternative study methods they would recommend.

ETA upon reading the rest of the thread: Oh wait, the kid is in college? That's on him then. I agree with the previous poster - if he won't get good grades, you won't pay for college. That's the agreement I had with my parents (they also said they'd only help pay for four years, not five).

Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,860,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for your replies to my postings.

We trusted our kid and believed him. So we just found out that our kid has been hiding his bad grades from us all this while. We confronted him after deep probing, but he felt sorry for this. It concerns us.

We are not sure, what did contribute to his behavior . We are in a dilemma to believe, what he says.

How will we help him to rebuild his credibility?

What are the strategies work to stop this behavior moving forward?

Thanks for sharing.
He is clearly terrified of criticism for some reason and needs you to put all your attention on what he is doing well, especially any effort he is making to do well even if his grades remain low. The more effort he puts in, the better results he will get. Once you and he are focused on rewarding his efforts, his grades will come up, he will not have anything to hide and his credibility will improve on its own from there.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,544,183 times
Colleges let parents access their children's grades? I thought that grades were confidential.

And you do need to step back, OP and let him handle this. If he needs to, he'll have to take the classes over again.

You seem more focused on that he lied instead of the reasons why he lied.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,388,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Colleges let parents access their children's grades? I thought that grades were confidential.
I think he showed his parents his grades. What he lied about were his AP scores. I think you have to get a 3 or a 4 for it to count for college credit. He probably got a 2.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:58 PM

83 posts, read 88,174 times
Quote:

We trusted our kid and believed him. So we just found out that our kid has been hiding his bad grades from us all this while. We confronted him after deep probing, but he felt sorry for this. It concerns us.

We are not sure, what did contribute to his behavior . We are in a dilemma to believe, what he says.
The video game machine is the likely culprit. I realize nothing is mentioned about video games in this thread, but 90% of the time, the root cause of bad grades can be traced to them.

What I would do is break the game machine and throw it in the trash can. In fact, set the machine on the ground, hand your son a sledge hammer, and make HIM break it. Refer to the video below so you'll know what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTw3Coh51k

Old 04-03-2017, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,129,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think he showed his parents his grades. What he lied about were his AP scores. I think you have to get a 3 or a 4 for it to count for college credit. He probably got a 2.
Many colleges will not accept a 3 for credit. Some schools require 5s and some schools don't give credit at all, but will let a student skip a class and go on to the next level. AP is not an assurance of college credit or of skipping courses. It depends on the particular school and what they will accept. Also, it is unlikely that they will accept an AP class for credit in the student's major area.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,993,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post
The video game machine is the likely culprit. I realize nothing is mentioned about video games in this thread, but 90% of the time, the root cause of bad grades can be traced to them.

What I would do is break the game machine and throw it in the trash can. In fact, set the machine on the ground, hand your son a sledge hammer, and make HIM break it. Refer to the video below so you'll know what I'm talking about:

The "kid" is a freshman in college....forget video games...its parties. And most kids go through this in their freshman year to some degree.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,630,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post

I don't think the OP even mentioned videogames so not sure why you are suggesting this.

Also, I've never understood exactly what the lesson is supposed to be in destroying/wasting something as a punishment. If videogames were an issue, put it away until the issue is resolved. If it is not resolved, I could see donating it eventually but destroying it seems to me a very wasteful way of making a point.

**yes, I realize the child in question is now in college, so it should be a non issue. This post caught my attention though and I've always wondered about this.**

Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,560,613 times
Quote:

How will we help him to rebuild his credibility?

What are the strategies work to stop this behavior moving forward?

Thanks for sharing.
.If he does not make the grades,dont pay for his college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting