Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,423,399 times

Advertisements

For my daughter, at this age, books, anything anime/manga related, drawing supplies, video game or two, mani/pedi, trip to the salon, Starbucks gift card, Hot Topic gift card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM

8,161 posts, read 6,091,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Please don't think in terms of "cool." That's part of the problem today. And certainly not cash or gift cards. And to get her makeup/jewelry just promotes the girl stereotype.

Personally, I'm big on books. Especially non-fiction.

You could start with this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/b...s-of-2016.html

In fact, she's just about old enough to start reading some classics.

Best (Classic) Books for Teens (108 books)

25 classic novels for teenagers - Telegraph
OP- Don't do this... Books are a very personal choice and unless you know she enjoys a specific series or author, the books you choose will most likely end up in the donate box.

I have a 13 year old daughter.

She loves craft project type gifts, make up, anything from bath & body works, makeup cases, cool hairbrushes, bath balms, fancy soaps, funky socks, under armour hoodies, gift cards are a huge hit because she likes to be "adult" and pay for her own stuff. This also helps her learn to shop smart. "I have a $25 gift card, what can I get and still have enough for sales tax?"

Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM

8,161 posts, read 6,091,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Oh wow! I've read John Saul and had forgotten about him. Also John Grisham. When I was her age, I was crazy about horses (never owned them though) so I have a number of beautiful reference books in my horse library. But really, I would ready anything back then and was always stealing my moms books to read.

To the person who suggested the trip and said time together is worth more than anything to a teen - what?! Maybe some but from what I remember about being 13 is how quickly I craved alone time, and finding myself. It was a time when I started to rebel against doing family functions and trips (though I still had to go on trips through high school). It was a time when as the oldest, I was growing up and felt everything else was babyish.

Yes, I did a couple of day excursions with a favorite aunt to horse shows. But those were special to me because we were closer in age, I knew her well and I was horse crazy.

To suggest the OP take the child on a trip when they've already said they don't know the child well, is a little (no offense) nuts.
My 13 year old loves to go places. I say indoor water park, and she has her bag packed in 5 minutes.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM

6,696 posts, read 5,145,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My 13 year old loves to go places. I say indoor water park, and she has her bag packed in 5 minutes.
And if you said "barn" to me, I would have been in the car before the word was finished. That is true today.

The OP doesn't know the child well so they don't have that luxury.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM

8,015 posts, read 5,477,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I was looking for gift ideas for a 13 year old girl. I am not close enough to her to know all of her likes but I know she likes jewelry and makeup. She loves clothes but not sure what would be best. She is a reader so that is a possibility. She also loves dogs and of course gadgets.

I would prefer to give a gift as opposed to money or a gift card. She has a big heart and she will end up buying something for others...which is great but not why I want to give her a gift.
I think it is wonderful you want to give her a gift. I am not a fan of gift cards or money. Jewelry/books can be tricky if you don't know her taste.

You could make up a cute manicure/pedicure kit--nail polish/nail polish remover, lotion, cute nail file-- all the other stuff that comes with doing a manicure and pedicure. If you search manicure gift basket in Pinterest there are good ideas. Find a cute little pouch/bucket/basket to put it all in.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 AM

83 posts, read 88,174 times
The very BEST gift you can give to any teenager, boy or girl, is some bluegrass music CD's. That is the music kids SHOULD be listening to, rather than rock, rap, punk, or whatever trash they normally listen to.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:27 PM

894 posts, read 593,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Teens love cash. Cash, in funny birthday card.
For kids approximately 8 years old and under, I like to give toys and games. But one the kid turns 9, I prefer to give them cash.

But if you'd rather not, then another alternative is to take the young person to a mall or individual store they like and let them pick out one item they like.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM

894 posts, read 593,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post
The very BEST gift you can give to any teenager, boy or girl, is some bluegrass music CD's. That is the music kids SHOULD be listening to, rather than rock, rap, punk, or whatever trash they normally listen to.
I also think a lot of the stuff many adolescents & teens listen to on the radio is nonsense. But, at the same time, if an adult gave them a cd of music we feel they SHOULD like, odds are the kid will say thanks but never bother listening to it.

However, I wouldn't buy them a cd of inappropriate music full of profanity either though.

The kid & I would have to find some middle-ground where I buy them a gift they like but which I can feel comfortable about giving them.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,571,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
that's why i suggested the weekend trip, to have some bonding time with each other

besides, spending time together is worth more than any gift to a teenager, they outgrow things quick enough

what's wrong with a trip as a gift?
I've done trips with her and unfortunately without getting into it is something I can no longer do. Maybe when she is older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Ha, ha...all kids are different. Funny you should say a water park as she is afraid of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
And if you said "barn" to me, I would have been in the car before the word was finished. That is true today.
Me too....barn, outside, hiking, biking, just get me out of the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post
Well since I am not the parent I do not want to give her what I feel a parent should be giving Ugh...and bluegrass, lol. I'm not for the crazy stuff but she doesn't even like country. I know she would hate bluegrass...sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post

But if you'd rather not, then another alternative is to take the young person to a mall or individual store they like and let them pick out one item they like.
I would love to but I won't be seeing her.

Thank you everyone.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,835,349 times
I also like the gift basket idea filled with spa/bath/makeup. Claires and Bath and Body Works is good for this type of stuff and it's not expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting