Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,814,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
What do you think should be included in core education? I mean elementary through high school.

I know I sometimes think "I can't believe I wasn't taught that!" and try to make sure my kids are taught it, but by me.

In particular, I cannot believe that economics and finances are not part of a basic education!! A few years ago my H and I went through hell financially, and when all was over I/we had a brand new financial education!! And I felt stupid for not getting it until I was 30! Buuuut, my kids will benefit. They also learned so much, and still are. Their eyes don't glaze over when I talk to them about interest payments, and they are very careful about their $$ and making it grow. But if we hadn't had this terrible thing happen to us financially, they wouldn't know anymore than they did in first grade about economics.

There are a few other topics that I feel I MUST address, that I don't think the school will go over enough. And sometimes when I think of a topic, I wonder if there's another one that I'm overlooking!

(I put this in Parenting as opposed to Education because I'm wanting opinions of parents, what they want for their kids)
Seriously, who needs to know anything practical like finance and economics?

Kids need to know more about creationism and everyone should sign a petition to the effect that he or she will not only refrain from using anti-GLBT rhetoric but will rat out anyone who does. Then they should spend no less than 65% of the day studying the personal history of Barack Obama and why he is America's greatest president.

It's not like schools are supposed to teach people to think for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrishalia View Post
I think religion is also very important, student should know about their religion at least.
Ah, I think the parents are the best teachers of that.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Originally Posted by sehrishalia
I think religion is also very important, student should know about their religion at least.

So, what do you think THEIR religion is?

Actually, you are not far off the mark. Students should know about other people's religion.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Seriously, who needs to know anything practical like finance and economics?

Kids need to know more about creationism and everyone should sign a petition to the effect that he or she will not only refrain from using anti-GLBT rhetoric but will rat out anyone who does. Then they should spend no less than 65% of the day studying the personal history of Barack Obama and why he is America's greatest president.

It's not like schools are supposed to teach people to think for themselves.
now, jimbo, someone is going to come along and think you are serious. They should really create some sort of special font for sarcasm before somebody's head explodes.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,331,669 times
More essay writing, because you do so much of it in college and university.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,703,120 times
teaching about world cultures

Young Americans are grossly undereducated about how other cultures and people are and assume that the entire world is just like the USA. Kids aren't worldly enough.

Also a basic knowledge of government, who our leaders are

US Geography. Its sad how many Americans don't know where many states are in the country or what the state's capitals are. Many people just assume the biggest city is the capital, or they've heard of a state but don't know where in the country it is. Sad.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,723,098 times
I think that all high schools should at least offer (like as an elective or something) a theology or world cultures class, among other things. I've been saying so for years, mostly because I'm so sick of all the ignorance surrounding such topics.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM

300 posts, read 1,015,900 times
No-one should learn spanish, why cant we just communicate in ENGLISH. we are Americans .

What they should teach is respect.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,991,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
No-one should learn spanish, why cant we just communicate in ENGLISH. we are Americans .

What they should teach is respect.
That's a parent's job, not a school's.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,364,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
What do you think should be included in core education? I mean elementary through high school.

I know I sometimes think "I can't believe I wasn't taught that!" and try to make sure my kids are taught it, but by me.

In particular, I cannot believe that economics and finances are not part of a basic education!! A few years ago my H and I went through hell financially, and when all was over I/we had a brand new financial education!! And I felt stupid for not getting it until I was 30! Buuuut, my kids will benefit. They also learned so much, and still are. Their eyes don't glaze over when I talk to them about interest payments, and they are very careful about their $$ and making it grow. But if we hadn't had this terrible thing happen to us financially, they wouldn't know anymore than they did in first grade about economics.

There are a few other topics that I feel I MUST address, that I don't think the school will go over enough. And sometimes when I think of a topic, I wonder if there's another one that I'm overlooking!

(I put this in Parenting as opposed to Education because I'm wanting opinions of parents, what they want for their kids)
I like your last statement there, because it sums up my answer

some schools are in the position of needing to 'parent' students because parents don't... although there are many drawbacks to this, taking time from academic education is one of them.

I believe schools need to "get back to the basics." too many schools throw "advanced" stuff at kids who haven't even learned the basics that they will need in college and later life.
I think they should offer a standards curriculum containing all of the basics, and allow for electives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting