Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 PM

372 posts, read 599,624 times

Advertisements

Times have changed. A few days ago my aunt told me my cousin will be required to use a tablet in kindergarten. This got me thinking about how different things are from being a kid even 10-15 years ago. So what else is different? Do kids still do sleepovers or are those too dangerous now? Do schools still celebrate Halloween or was that deemed offensive? I would hate to be a kid today because it seems like everything is dangerous, offensive or banned. I feel like kids don't get to have a real childhood anymore and are forced to grow up too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
It just all depends...yes and no. Right and wrong. Place to place. Being a kid is different, for sure. But all the questions really depend on where you are.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Times have changed. A few days ago my aunt told me my cousin will be required to use a tablet in kindergarten. This got me thinking about how different things are from being a kid even 10-15 years ago. So what else is different? Do kids still do sleepovers or are those too dangerous now? Do schools still celebrate Halloween or was that deemed offensive? I would hate to be a kid today because it seems like everything is dangerous, offensive or banned. I feel like kids don't get to have a real childhood anymore and are forced to grow up too soon.
You've just asked about the entire Parenting forum.

Use the blue "Search" tab on the right side of the main page to find many threads about the many topics you asked about.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
[quote=Omatic;41130888]Do kids still do sleepovers?[quote]
Yes.
Quote:
Do schools still celebrate Halloween?
Yes.
Quote:
I would hate to be a kid today because it seems like everything is dangerous, offensive or banned. I feel like kids don't get to have a real childhood anymore and are forced to grow up too soon.
Pfft. That's because you're probably not a parent.

Everything is fine. Kids today are smarter, safer, stronger, have better nutrition, and more opportunities than ever because of the hard work of parents, educators, and pediatricians/pediatric researchers like us.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
The big difference I see from when I grew up is that kids are way more scheduled now than when I was a kid.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
If you only pay attention to faux outrage I can see where you might get these ideas....but that isn't reality.

Things are different. ...but then out childhood was different than our parents....but kids still have fun, they still go trick or treating (unless their parents are fundies)....they are still kids and in many cases have it better than you or I did.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The big difference I see from when I grew up is that kids are way more scheduled now than when I was a kid.
This is the only difference I see too. Kids are in tons of activities now, which can be bad if taken too far, but the exposure to a wide variety of activities is good.

Technology will always change things. My daughter has an iPad lab, I had a computer lab, my parents just had a library. Changing the way kids are taught and access information isn't necessarily a bad thing (though I think TOO much technology can be hindering).

Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
Halloween for my kids is like a month long celebration, culminating in Trick-or-Treating. They go to several parties and events prior to the actual date. For me, it was just one really fun day in the fall. So, lucky them.

They still go to sleepovers, too.

I will say that I had more freedom as a kid. I ran around in the woods all day long, biked to the pool with the neighborhood gang at age 9. I had a lot less supervision, I guess the modern term is "free range". I'm definitely not a helicopter parent, and my three kids are outside with their own neighborhood gang at this very moment, but they won't leave the block. I'll find them either right out front, or in one of three families' back yard.

I think their schoolwork is tougher than mine was, too. I didn't have homework until the 4th grade, but my kids started with it in kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting