Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Bad News Bears was a late 70's/early 80's movie while Sixteen Candles was a PG-13 film in a pre-PG-13 world but unlike say Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Poltergeist and Gremlins, was not violent, thus making it PG.
Today Sixteen Candles would probably get an R rating. There is nudity and f-bombs left and right. Clearly the studio fought for that PG rating so they could hit their target audience, even though it wasn't that long before that "teen" movies were normally of the Porky's or Spring Break mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think it depends upon the content of the movie. I have nothing against normal sex in movies, but I wouldn't let my kids watch excessively violent movies, or movies that glamorized drugs. By 14 or 15, they are going to watch what they want.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I am a hypocrit of sorts:

My children watch some violence based R rated movies at 12 and 11. But.... I wont watch them watch any sex based R rated movies.
You would rather watch them kill people then see a nude person ?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Today Sixteen Candles would probably get an R rating. There is nudity and f-bombs left and right. Clearly the studio fought for that PG rating so they could hit their target audience, even though it wasn't that long before that "teen" movies were normally of the Porky's or Spring Break mold.
Well yeah it is studio based but Porkys's and Fast Times is much more raunchy than Sixteen Candles. It's like comparing Superbad or Sex Drive to say The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Two different styles of coming of age movies.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can believe it. But movies don't have to be in the horror genre to be given an R rating.
Fair enough. I think there's a world of difference between horror/slashing nonsense which is clearly overstimulating their developing amygdala - and occasional nudity which isn't so much of an issue for me.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well yeah it is studio based but Porkys's and Fast Times is much more raunchy than Sixteen Candles. It's like comparing Superbad or Sex Drive to say The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Two different styles of coming of age movies.
Well, Porkey's and Fast Times were definitely rated R. There would have been no way a studio could get it lower. I have no problem with teenagers seeing any of those movies. I was really just commenting on the fact that the rating system has changed over the years. Parents are more strict about what their kids see now than they ever were in my youth (at least in my experience). The thing that got an R rating in the '70s and '80s was heavy sexual content and/or violence. Nudity and sex jokes were considered tame, even for kid movies like Bad News Bears.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
I was in high school when I saw my first R movie. Can't remember what it was though - not anything significant.

My kids watched "Slumdog Millionaire" with me last year (rated R) but it was the version edited for TV, not on regular cable. So it had some disturbing stuff cut out. They were 10 and 11 at the time.

I use kids-in-mind.com to determine whether or not I'll let my kids see a movie, regardless of MPAA ratings. At this point I let them see most things rated 3.6.5 (sex.violence.language) or less on their scale, and occasionally have gone to 4.7.5 - but very, very rarely. It all depends on the content that lends itself to that higher scale rating.

For instance, my now-12 year old daughter REALLY wants to see "Deadpool" when it comes out but it may end up being a rated R movie. But if "Deadpool" rates at 4.7.5 at kids-in-mind, I'll consider taking her despite the rating. But if the "4" content includes graphic nudity or sex, then no - she won't be going. And if the "7" content is particularly brutal versus typical comic book variety violence, then no - she won't be going.

We do not have the paid movie channels on our cable, and my kids are really good about knowing what they can and cannot watch on Netflix (knowing it shows up in the "just watched" category also hinders them from getting away with watching something they shouldn't). My kids do not have TVs in their rooms and I have parental controls on their electronics that do not allow them to watch anything rated higher than PG-13.

Movies that were PG when I was their age (early 1980s) would be rated R today. So even with the older movies I have to find out what the content is before I let them see it. I don't try to shelter my kids, but I do try to be a discerning parent as far as what they see/hear.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
I feel like the rating system is all a moot point, given the video games that kids can get their hands on these days. I mean, yes, a parent can attempt to control what they see, but if they go over to a friend's house, it could be all over. I let my 14 year old play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto and he has been for a couple years, but I'm just one of those liberal parents. I don't believe in shielding kids from the real world. Frankly, it's annoying to me when I try to buy him and his friends movie tickets for rated R movies and I'm told I have to watch it with them. Why??

Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, Porkey's and Fast Times were definitely rated R. There would have been no way a studio could get it lower. I have no problem with teenagers seeing any of those movies. I was really just commenting on the fact that the rating system has changed over the years. Parents are more strict about what their kids see now than they ever were in my youth (at least in my experience). The thing that got an R rating in the '70s and '80s was heavy sexual content and/or violence. Nudity and sex jokes were considered tame, even for kid movies like Bad News Bears.
My parents were mostly strict though as I said by 13/4 I was watching rated R movies (no idea when my brother was) but they were mostly the _____ Movies or say Terminator. And most times it was with them. The issue with Porky's and Fast Times vs. Sixteen Candles is that for one, there were sex scenes in those two I vividly recall that I don't in Candles. Also the nudity wasn't as gratuitous in Candles. Candles today would likely be a medium/hard PG-13 while Porky's and Fast Times would still be R like their gross-out sex comedy counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I was in high school when I saw my first R movie. Can't remember what it was though - not anything significant.

My kids watched "Slumdog Millionaire" with me last year (rated R) but it was the version edited for TV, not on regular cable. So it had some disturbing stuff cut out. They were 10 and 11 at the time.

I use kids-in-mind.com to determine whether or not I'll let my kids see a movie, regardless of MPAA ratings. At this point I let them see most things rated 3.6.5 (sex.violence.language) or less on their scale, and occasionally have gone to 4.7.5 - but very, very rarely. It all depends on the content that lends itself to that higher scale rating.

For instance, my now-12 year old daughter REALLY wants to see "Deadpool" when it comes out but it may end up being a rated R movie. But if "Deadpool" rates at 4.7.5 at kids-in-mind, I'll consider taking her despite the rating. But if the "4" content includes graphic nudity or sex, then no - she won't be going. And if the "7" content is particularly brutal versus typical comic book variety violence, then no - she won't be going.

We do not have the paid movie channels on our cable, and my kids are really good about knowing what they can and cannot watch on Netflix (knowing it shows up in the "just watched" category also hinders them from getting away with watching something they shouldn't). My kids do not have TVs in their rooms and I have parental controls on their electronics that do not allow them to watch anything rated higher than PG-13.

Movies that were PG when I was their age (early 1980s) would be rated R today. So even with the older movies I have to find out what the content is before I let them see it. I don't try to shelter my kids, but I do try to be a discerning parent as far as what they see/hear.
With the PG movies from the pre-PG-13 era being R, I can see that. The MPAA was always a political jungle that studios could fight for lower ratings whether it is by cutting things or what not.

I am a fan of Deadpool but I imagine it will be higher than 4.7.5. on the MPAA rating scale. There is a sex scene in the redband (rated R) trailer as well as a strip club (with Stan Lee as the DJ.) There is a LOT of cursing in the redband trailer including f-bombs. There is also a LOT of violence including blood and even a bullet flying through three thugs head straight on in succession. Granted this is par for the course with Deadpool comic (in particularly the Marvel-MAX run) but I would try to tell your 12 year old that this is a graphic movie that you will let her see in the house but can't in good conscious let her see it in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I feel like the rating system is all a moot point, given the video games that kids can get their hands on these days. I mean, yes, a parent can attempt to control what they see, but if they go over to a friend's house, it could be all over. I let my 14 year old play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto and he has been for a couple years, but I'm just one of those liberal parents. I don't believe in shielding kids from the real world. Frankly, it's annoying to me when I try to buy him and his friends movie tickets for rated R movies and I'm told I have to watch it with them. Why??
Well yeah but unless the parents buy the ticket or a 21+ friend buys the ticket for Junior, Junior isn't likely going into to see it. I nearly had this exact problem at age 16 seeing Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines on my own with my parents actually buying the ticket.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
You would rather watch them kill people then see a nude person ?
That does seem to the American way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting