Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 07:50 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,784,936 times

Advertisements

Not all R rated movies are the same. I definitely don't let my kids watch anything with nudity or worse in it, but some blood and gore? No issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 01:05 PM

335 posts, read 155,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I can't give any examples, but re-watch some of those 30 year old R rated films and you will be shocked at how mild they seem.
The 1971 horror film I Drink Your Blood was the first horror film to be given an X rating, and the violence and gore portrayed in it is cartoonish by today's standards. If released today I doubt it would receive anything higher than PG-13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Not all R rated movies are the same. I definitely don't let my kids watch anything with nudity or worse in it, but some blood and gore? No issues.
I personally believe that you could do a child a lot more harm having them believe there is something dirty about a human body than you would allowing them to see one in it's natural form.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:27 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,784,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I personally believe that you could do a child a lot more harm having them believe there is something dirty about a human body than you would allowing them to see one in it's natural form.

That's fine.

However, I explain to my kids that any blood (or minor gore) is fake. It's not real. They get it. however, nudity and worse is real. Good luck explaining that one to kids.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:32 PM

1,140 posts, read 620,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
If you were watching some sort of art movie showing the human form... then it's okay.

But pretty much most of the nudity in mainstream movies has something to do with sexuality... that is something that kids can do without.

I'm not saying they won't be exposed to it outside the home, but you have control over it with the content you decide they can watch.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:21 PM

116 posts, read 36,982 times
I hardly ever permit my daughters to watch movies. Their aunts and grandparents on the other hand..........

For me, they need to focus on school. I take them to the Ohio State Bowl Games and the Michigan Game this season.

Children do not learn anything watching movies.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 620,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
I hardly ever permit my daughters to watch movies. Their aunts and grandparents on the other hand..........

For me, they need to focus on school. I take them to the Ohio State Bowl Games and the Michigan Game this season.

Children do not learn anything watching movies.
Not sure if you're just trolling... but really?

You don't let them see any movies? Yet it's fine to watch full grown men run into each other? How does the latter teach them anything?

I guess having fun is a bad thing in your family.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Not sure if you're just trolling... but really?

You don't let them see any movies? Yet it's fine to watch full grown men run into each other? How does the latter teach them anything?

I guess having fun is a bad thing in your family.
I learned to be a lot like my mother (who I haven't seen in 12 years).

My mother was strict with my education and only let me watch football and sports on the weekends and any championship games.

She would buy me things. I do the same with my kids.

Also, I am a strong Conservative. Not into Hollywood.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:20 AM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Education isn't everything either. I'm also not sure how you think you're so much higher and mightier for taking your kids to a college football game over turning on a movie.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:17 AM

215 posts, read 127,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
I learned to be a lot like my mother (who I haven't seen in 12 years).

My mother was strict with my education and only let me watch football and sports on the weekends and any championship games.

She would buy me things. I do the same with my kids.

Also, I am a strong Conservative. Not into Hollywood.

So why haven’t you seen you mom?

Old 12-28-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolona1721 View Post
So why haven’t you seen you mom?

Hello,

Here is a better explanation of why:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/grie...atherhood.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting