Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 PM

733 posts, read 853,956 times

Advertisements

He may have fine-motor control problems, or even gross problems if he is unable to get his arm into position.

Yes, use gel pens. Etch-a-Sketches. Spirographs. Sand writing. Icing writing. Key practice with things he likes (cars, dinosaurs, whatever) and holidays. Don't punish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Experiment with pencils or pens to see what is the most comfortable. The wrong writing implement can interfere with their writing fluidity.

His grip may be too tight, thus making it harder for him to write. Time him and see how long it takes for his hand to get tired. As you work with him, it should take longer for him to grow tired.

Use flex balls or other things to increase his hand strength.

Start with shorter times and increase it gradually. Motivate him with some type of rewards.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
I think she meant that 5th grade was a bit late to address that this is a problem. Most schools work on printing only until 2nd grade so the issue should've been addressed then.

Personally if the printing is at least somewhat legible, I'd just teach the child to type.
Exactly....if this has been a problem all along, since ringing starts years before, it should have been looked at then if possible......not that it's to late to help.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Not too late. Handwriting Without Tears has a products for older kids, which I used with my youngest. Now that he's finished seventh grade, his printing is fine and he's generally able to keep up with classroom note-taking. He never did master cursive, but he uses a keyboard with ease.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
I dont think i hand written anything in the last thirty years, now its text or type, so why bother?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM

Because in a classroom environment, competent handwriting is essential, and the OP's child still has many years of school ahead of him. I am a very fast typist, and I still struggle to keep up when someone dictates information to me. Furthermore, keyboarding is very distracting to other students in a lecture setting, particularly when there are several people attempting to take notes that way.

I'm sitting here with my husband, who works in tech consulting. He says he has stacks and stacks of bound handwritten notes from client meetings. Customer wants A, B, C. No scratch that. Let's do X, Y, Z. Let's tweak that to include G. Hmmm. Can we move X over here? No way can he type that kind of stuff effectively, and he types faster than I do. The point of Smart Boards is to take the hand-written stuff and digitize it. Why? Because hand-writing is still the best way to get certain kinds of information down.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I dont think i hand written anything in the last thirty years, now its text or type, so why bother?
He will still need to do many assignments, quizzes and tests in school using handwriting. Even writing the answers to math problems and formulas in chemistry and physics will be difficult for a child/teen with handwriting issues.

Also, many people do use and need handwriting each and everyday whether it is for quick things like writing notes to coworkers, spouses or children, or writing a grocery lists to taking notes during business meetings and even lengthier writing responsibilities on the job and at home.

You can't always whip out a computer & printer from your pocket to dash off a quick written note or comment to give to someone

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
He will still need to do many assignments, quizzes and tests in school using handwriting. Even writing the answers to math problems and formulas in chemistry and physics will be difficult for a child/teen with handwriting issues.

Also, many people do use and need handwriting each and everyday whether it is for quick things like writing notes to coworkers, spouses or children, or writing a grocery lists to taking notes during business meetings and even lengthier writing responsibilities on the job and at home.

You can't always whip out a computer & printer from your pocket to dash off a quick written note or comment to give to someone

That's why we text nowadays

Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I enjoyed the Handwriting Without Tears video. Is there something for older kids. My 13 year old daughter has an IEP and some sensory problems. I would love to find something for her this summer. her handwriting looks like a 2nd grader and it worries me.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 AM

Check the HWT website. You can order directly from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting