Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times

Advertisements

When a bully kept picking on my older sister she was pretty quiet about it.But when I saw him outside of the school, I pointed him out to my mom. She "jacked him up" (her words). Needless to say he walked into school crying. After a call from the school my mom made us start taking karate. I'd recommend it at the very least as a confidence booster for your child. Or you can try an at home self defense tutorial until he/she is old enough for classes. Try this http://product415.mrcprosper.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=FIGHT2
or search google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,367 times
bullying is a much larger problem than most people wish to believe,i shall give my own experiances with bullying here (being the victim of said crime many a time) A: from what ive seen... teachers do not do anything especially if the bully is a sports player (ex. was walking through the halls on the way to the next class, football player was taunting a "nerd", the person being picked on tried to stand up for himself and literally got yelled at by a teacher for it, side note, i yelled at the teacher stating that if she wasnt going to act properly on the situation, aka repremanding the bully not the vitcim, she was to stay the f*#& out of the situation, to which point her face turned a beat red and she walked away knowing she was in the wrong) B: The classic Ignore it And It Will Go Away theory... load of horse dung, unless its just the "new kid syndrome" been there played that game, after 3 years most of the bullying stopped from the new kid syndrome, but there were people i had to stick up for myself to get it through thier thick skulls that i had had enough C: even after all is said and done with the physical bullying the long lasting mental effects will still be there (been 6 years since high school and i still have some of the mind set that was placed on me back then, and it may never fully go away) D: things with bullying can be taken overboard in higher grades, my mother had to pull my brother out of school completely because a few of his classmates decided to attempt to throw him overboard on a school field trip

that having been said, being your child is only in preschool at this time, talk with the teacher about it, the teacher should not at this time show favoritism, ask him/her to make the bullying stop if it is at all possible... keep the two apart as much as possible, have them under supervision when they are together and proper punishments for acts of bullying but do keep in mind the above for later on in his schooling the last example is more drastic than most bullying may get to i admit, but it did happen so just keep an eye on it, since its in preschool id imagine itll go away on its own, the bully has probably just seen too many tv shows about bullies and the best advice i can give for situations above later on, go to the school once, and state if it is not taken care of in x amount of time, youll take matters into your own hands with the police and court system, or send your child into some sort of a self defence class like karate, or both

and as for telling a teacher... doesnt work as stated above... fighting back does not "egg on" it shows the bully "im not an easy target now back off" that having been said... dont encourage fighting too much, as it may turn the victim into the bully, ive seen that happen a couple times as well

Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
My son is small statured, for his age, and there have been a couple potential bullys' try to push him around. What they didn't know is that he's a little cowboy, tough as Army bootleather and has been tossed around by many a rank horse. He's into steer riding now to, and races motocross so, having been pummeled around like this the thought of some wannabe punching him in the nose didn't give him a seconds pause. The last time this happened I was on a job here in the valley and the school called to tell me he had been in a scuffle and they had called the police as standard procedure OHHHH GOODY I says to myself. Turns out the kid he thrashed was pushing around another kid who was smaller and weaker (of course) and he intervened. Forcefully. The yard duty teacher saw the whole thing go down and was on her way over when my boy lit the would be aggresor up. When the officer got done talking to the bully (in the nurses office) and had the story from the teacer he came in with my son and I , said" well, ya took care of business son" and called it case closed. The other kid was habitual troublemaker and was suspended for a week. My son was sent back to class. If only ALL bullying ended this way.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Why is it such an issue at that age? Pecking orders are simply being established. When I was younger, Id get picked at for a long time, then after a while I'd explode and send some lil boys flying into the sandbox.
And guess what? They left me alone afterwards. No parental intervention, no pyschoanalyitical BS. Its the truth that lil scuffles while you're young helps when you reach higher grades, because your classmates know you wont tolerate being pushed around.

Alot of parents these days seem to get over-involved in things like this, and dont let their kid solve it on their own. My own parents gave me this simple advice " I dont ever want to hear of you STARTING a fight. But if it gets bad and they wont go away, you can definately finish it".

Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Why is it such an issue at that age? Pecking orders are simply being established. When I was younger, Id get picked at for a long time, then after a while I'd explode and send some lil boys flying into the sandbox.
And guess what? They left me alone afterwards. No parental intervention, no pyschoanalyitical BS. Its the truth that lil scuffles while you're young helps when you reach higher grades, because your classmates know you wont tolerate being pushed around.

Alot of parents these days seem to get over-involved in things like this, and dont let their kid solve it on their own. My own parents gave me this simple advice " I dont ever want to hear of you STARTING a fight. But if it gets bad and they wont go away, you can definately finish it".
i agree with that thinking whole heartedly, i just wish i had that kind of thinking embeded into me when i was first starting to get bullied

Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

I agree. The kids need to learn to work out a LOT on their own. Parents help at home by teaching their kids to be respectful of others and themselves. They don't need to go running to the school whining over everything and taking up for their kids. But if your the parent of a kid that is getting picked on........ your best bet as a parent is to teach your child to stand up for himself and self defense. If your child always seems to be the one involved in the "drama" (girls) and is a major part of it....... guess what, your little princess is a part of the problem.

I told my kids the same thing......... "if someone starts a fight with you then you have the right to finish it". I also told them, "most of the time it is the second punch that gets seen by the teacher not the first". That way they will know why the teacher may FIRST believe they are the ones that started something.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Not so sure, I was bullied by a couple kids back in the 70s. My parents were the turn the other cheek and try to talk it out or walk away. Other kids saw this and it seemed I got picked on more. A couple times on the playground, i got fed up and started to fight a couple times. Mom lectured me about not being in control, and violence doesnt solve problems. BUT I didnt have many problems after that. I didnt win all the fights, but at least other kids knew I would throw down and thats seemed enough. I wouldn't encourage fighting, but be prepared to defend one self.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
sad

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
Default When Does He Get His Drivers License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
My oldest son has had a target on his back for bullies since preschool. My advice would be to have him run to the teacher.
So your kid has followed your advice and has been tormented for years. Have you stopped for a moment to wonder if there's a correlation? Because there is.

You might be a nice lady and all, but you're completely clueless. I don't say this out of cruelty, but rather out of compassion for your son - he's already got a rep as an easy mark and probably a tattle-tale, too. The sooner he rejects everything you say and starts to do the opposite, the better.

"Run and Tell" is lousy advice for kids and lousy advice for adults, too. When you have a conflict with a co-worker, do you try to work it out on your own or do you sneak off to management and snitch?

Total Bully Solution

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I hate a bully, Get your boy in karate classes or other self defense classes. and tell him to kick there butts
As a step-mom I signed my boy up for karate. One good kick in the head and your child will be fine.

Bullys will always be around. You can't take every child on a freakin play date.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting