Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:10 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,379,878 times

Advertisements

My first two are boys. They had both had a variety of words they were saying by their first birthday. Third child is a girl. She started talking a little earlier and put phrases together earlier than the boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,457,905 times
Our second appears to be later than the first two. Not really in the time before talking happened - but in the working vocabulary available to him.

The first who is now 4.5 exploded with quite a number of words just before the first year. And the grasp of the language has been pretty advanced ever since - and now the working basics in a second language too to the point that conversation with people in that language of the same age is quite smooth.

The second who is now 1.1 had the first word "car" around 8 months which was a surprise to us. We tested this at the time. It was definitely that word and definetly used in the correct context.

But after a week of using it - it stopped and did not return until 1st birthday. And it remains the only working word that we have identified.

So in terms of sitting up and using a first word - our second was significantly earlier but then stopped. In terms of exploding with a working vocab and never looking back and just getting steadily more vocal and verbose - the first wins hands down.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,781,675 times
I dislike giving excuses for kids not talking on schedule, such as "well it's my second child, and second children usually talk late", because you may be missing a child who legitimately needs help.

When you are dealing with late talking toddlers, *most* of them (I read somewhere approx. 75%) are just late talkers and will catch up on their own eventually. However a significant portion of them (approx. 25%) are having trouble due to some sort of issue, and need intervention. And the important thing to remember about things like speech intervention, is that the earlier you start intervention, the more it helps.

So if you have a 2 year old who is not talking yet, and you don't get them evaluated by a professional, you are basically taking a gamble that your child is in the 75%. And if it turns out later that your child was in the 25%, you've missed out on getting therapy at an early age when it helps the most. And if you live in the United States and wait until after the 3rd birthday, you've missed out on getting help from the Early Intervention program which is an incredible free program. You can still go through the public schools to get services after 3 years old, but it becomes more difficult to qualify for free services at that age.

My son (second child) was not talking at all at 18 months. Everyone told me he was a second child, he was fine, he would catch up, stop worrying. My mama gut knew differently, and I called Early Intervention and got started with Speech Therapy. It was one of their terrific Speech Therapists that noticed that my son was having absence seizures, where his eyes would glaze over for just 1 second, and then it was over. Something I never would have noticed on my own, but the therapist noticed it because he was trained in it. Now that my son is on anti-seizure medications, his speech has completely caught back up to normal at age 3, and he's going to be just fine. I shudder to think what would have happened if we hadn't sought intervention at an early age, and if he had started school still delayed and undiagnosed, possibly never correctly diagnosed.

Please mamas, if your child's speech (or lack thereof) is worrying you, go get them checked out. It's not going to hurt them to have an evaluation, it can only help. I know it's comforting when everyone tells you your child is fine, but there's a small chance they might not be fine, and they need YOU to figure that out for them.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,135,927 times
#2 was a very early talker and excellent communicator (we still call him our "news anchor")

#3 and #4 didn't really talk much until right around their second birthdays. With both it got to the point I was getting concerned and planning to address it at their 2yr well visits...then the switch was flipped right before their birthdays and it was a non-issue.

#1 was somewhere in between

Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,520,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My first two are boys. They had both had a variety of words they were saying by their first birthday. Third child is a girl. She started talking a little earlier and put phrases together earlier than the boys.
I have boy, girl, boy. Girl talked (and walked) the earliest. Third child talked latest. It was hard for him to get a word in edgewise with the other two, but he's been making up for lost time since then!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,541,447 times
My first (boy) didn't say more than one word until just after 2 years, when he started speaking in sentences. He was extremely verbal and learned another language within the next year.
My second (boy) developed very typically with language, having many words by 18mo and phrases and short sentences by about 2. Although he spoke the amount he was supposed to, there was so much I couldn't understand that my oldest had to "translate"
My third (girl) also developed very typically with language, and was much more comprehensible early on.
They are each 18 months apart.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,423,957 times
Early. She was/is very advanced. She had about 13 words in her vocabulary by 13 months and could say two word sentences. By 15 months it was over 50, and at 18 months three word sentences and she could say her name, a long and not so easy one, fairly well.

My dd1 and ds2 had about 15 words in their vocabulary by 16 months.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,056,181 times
First child (girl) started at average time, very quickly had a large vocab.

Second child (girl) was much later and I was quite concerned. Several doctors and a speech pro told me not to worry as receptive language was good. They were right; she was fine by age 3.

Third child (boy) was also later, but I didnt worry as much about him, based on previous experience.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
My oldest and youngest both walked earlier and talked after that. My middle talked earlier and walked later. Pediatrician told me that it is rare for kids to master walking and talking at the same time.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:39 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,465,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Just curious as I've read a stuff that says the 2nd child won't talk as fast as the first born, bc the first born sometimes does the talking for them. I've even encountered some 2 year olds that were hardly talking at all, and they had older siblings.
my 2.5 year old is definitely a slower talker/learning to talk compared to his older brother. We even have him in state sponsored language development classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting