Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,646,176 times

Advertisements

My daughter was 11 and while we had discussed it and she had supplies available, when it actually started she didn't say anything to me. She came to the office with me that morning and was moping around and putting her head down on my desk. I was going to taker her to lunch and she said she wasn't feeling well. I finally asked her "Do you have cramps? Is that whats wrong with you?" She said yes, and I gave her some Motrin and told her she should have said something in the first place and she wouldn't have wasted all of that time suffering for nothing. After that I couldn't shut her up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM

546 posts, read 409,374 times
I told my daughter what to expect when the time came, and provided her with supplies well in advance. She didn't tell me right away. I wasn't checking her supplies to see if they had been used, and it was at least a couple of months before she told me. I didn't make a big production of telling her about what to expect, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that she didn't think it was a big enough deal to mention. She was kind of late to start, and I had previously mentioned to her that we might want to make sure there were no medical reasons for that, but I don't think that really crossed her mind as a reason to tell me right away.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
I told my mother immediately. I had no choice. I started at 10, and the supplies were kept in my parents' bathroom, which was off-limits to children. When I told my mother, she didn't believe me. The bloody sheet did the trick. And while some girls have light periods the first time, other girls have heavy periods right from the beginning.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I told my mother immediately. I had no choice. I started at 10, and the supplies were kept in my parents' bathroom, which was off-limits to children. When I told my mother, she didn't believe me. The bloody sheet did the trick. And while some girls have light periods the first time, other girls have heavy periods right from the beginning.
Why didn't she believe you? Who lies about that?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why didn't she believe you? Who lies about that?
I think she didn't believe me because I was only ten. She thought she had a couple more years before I'd get my period.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think she didn't believe me because I was only ten. She thought she had a couple more years before I'd get my period.
You must be older than me then I got mine at 11 and that was pretty normal.

I WISH I had been one of those girls who didnt get mine till way later.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,360,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
OMG my sister who is the mother of four teen girls swears by this as well LOL ....
What they say about close females having the same monthly cycles is true...until my oldest left home at 20, when youngest was 14, there were the three of us having our periods the same week of the month. It just worked out that way. Poor DH!!!!

When I got mine, it was three weeks before my 13th birthday. And I was still unprepared and scared to death.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-20-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 PM

362 posts, read 544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Daughter may have told mom, but mom may be hesitant to tell others (ie. you).

I still very clearly remember the day my grandparents came over to visit, and my grandpa asked me if I had gotten my period yet. I was so shocked that he would ask me that, I was speechless. So then when I did not answer, he asked my mom. She told him no, I had not. I had. It was none of his business!!

I remember that incident as clearly as if it had happened last week, and that was 40 years ago.
Eww. I'm so sorry for you, sweetie. I would die.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
I asked if she had gotten her period yet
How does that even come up in conversation?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,884 times
Thank gawd in 5th grade they told us what to expect. I doubt my mom ever would have told me, and I'd have thought I was dying. When it happened, I'll never forget she was eating a popsicle and laughed when I told her. I'd like to think she acted that way because I was scared to tell her. It was late and she didn't drive, so she told me she didn't have any "products" and gave me a stack of cloth diapers. (she used them for cleaning)

After I went to bed, she came in and told me now I could get pregnant, but don't! That was all that was ever said about it. I swore I do better for my daughter, but only had sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting