Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,205,718 times

Advertisements

My son's school counselor called me today to tell me that someone came forward telling him that my son has been taking Adderall and more than once. We just moved to this town/state and since he has been in his new high school we have met with his counselor on more than one ocassion.
I haven't spoken to him yet as he is still in school. I'm sure he will deny it. Anyone been here? He is fourteen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
My son's school counselor called me today to tell me that someone came forward telling him that my son has been taking Adderall and more than once. We just moved to this town/state and since he has been in his new high school we have met with his counselor on more than one ocassion.

I haven't spoken to him yet as he is still in school. I'm sure he will deny it. Anyone been here? He is fourteen.
Did the school bother to find out where he got this controlled substance from? It seems a little odd that a student would come forward like that. Maybe since he's the new kid he's being picked on?

I wouldn't accuse your son of it until you had some solid answers from the school - of course you could ask him about it.

There are at-home drug kits you can get to test for drugs. Which ones, I'm not sure of. Ask your doctor.

Have you noticed any change in your son's behavior? Two of my adult sons have prescriptions for the same substance......on the back of the bottle, it says "legal methanphetamine" so you should notice signs in his behavior. Signs such as over-talkative, bouncing from topic to topic, can't sleep, lack of appetite, and in some cases irritability.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
I would get all your facts before you react. I wonder where he is getting it if he is taking it. My son takes it for ADHD and it is a controlled substance. It will have the opposite effect in someone who doesn't have ADHD causing them to exhibit the behaviors that those with ADHD are trying to minimize. I hope it is just a misunderstanding. I hate to think of people taking a drug for fun that others really need. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,205,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I would get all your facts before you react. I wonder where he is getting it if he is taking it. My son takes it for ADHD and it is a controlled substance. It will have the opposite effect in someone who doesn't have ADHD causing them to exhibit the behaviors that those with ADHD are trying to minimize. I hope it is just a misunderstanding. I hate to think of people taking a drug for fun that others really need. Good luck.
He admitted it. Says he took it because he was upset about a girl. He smoked pot twice because he was upset about us moving,again. Have an appointment to get him into therapy this week.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,164 times
Him admitting it is a pretty rare thing, you must have a good kid who made a bad choice. Let him know he has to earn your trust back. Keep very good track of him and his friends. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Him admitting it is a pretty rare thing, you must have a good kid who made a bad choice. Let him know he has to earn your trust back. Keep very good track of him and his friends. Good luck.
Ditto. That's great hta tyou are getting him help. He is likely having touble adjusting. Getting him into some activities can help.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 PM

170 posts, read 983,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Getting him into some activities can help.
I agree. Therapy might help, but it might make him feel like he screwed up and now 'has to see a therapist'.

You should explain how everyone feels stress and goes through transitional phases. We each find our own unique way to cope and deal with these situations...and you have to. They don't just go away.

Some people resort to drugs. Others resort to exercise, music, ect.

gluck

Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
He admitted it. Says he took it because he was upset about a girl. He smoked pot twice because he was upset about us moving,again. Have an appointment to get him into therapy this week.
Oh I'm so glad you have therapy arranged! Him admitting it is a big step in itself......good luck to you.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
That is great he is going to get some therapy. Also I would keep a tight reign on who he hangs out with and what he does on his off time when not in school.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Does anyone remember the commerical spots that Carrol O'connor did about drugs.

He said "get between your kids and drugs anyway you can". He and his wife lost their only son to drugs. His statement says it all. Do it early before they are too old and you have no control over the issue.

One thing that I would want to do is trace the source of the adderal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting