Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:29 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,118,515 times

Advertisements

If you want to pursue it, how about inviting the other boy out to a movie or something like that? You'll get a better idea of the interaction between the kids, and if it really isn't a good match, at least the diversion of a movie will work for a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,411,382 times
I think that you need to plan in advance and invite her children over to play for the next few times. Do you reciprocate?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,850,238 times
I agree about the reciprocation. If it's always your kids going over there, the mom is going to feel taken advantage of. I'd text the mom and ask her to ask her son if he wants to come over. If she says no every time, then you'll know the kid is just not interested in your son.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:15 AM

458 posts, read 614,527 times
Personally I'd leave it alone. It won't be the only time your son is likely to face this type situation. I certainly would not allow him to go over there again just so he can "see for himself." It subjects him to potential and unneccesary rejection. People say one thing and do another without explaination all the time. This isn't a family member or close friend so, I'd move on!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,978,387 times
Ill give inviting them over specifically a try. The kids sort of ran between houses when playing so I never really thought of it. Also, because of our move, most of our toys are packed up so I didn't think of it as much fun. But I will give it a go

Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM

22,886 posts, read 48,263,275 times
So your son has been there numerous times, but you never ever invited them over?
Yeah.. I'd be writing you off too.

People get tired of the neighbor's kids coming over all the time...

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,723,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A block away my kids met a family of kids we haden't known before (they are just now being able to go off our block when playing). My kids loved to play with the kids and I went over and met the mom. She is 100% " no worries, let them come any time, we love having guests". I got her cell so I could text her. For a while it was ok, once in a while the kids would come home saying the kids werent home or busy. BUt then it became every time the kids came right home. So I started texting ahead of time and it was always "oh so sorry we are doing x".

My son (9 y) started blaming me for saying no, so I let him try a few more times in person. Its been no every time. My gut is that her boys don't want to have him come play. he is a fun kid but has a strong personality and the kids already have a group of friends on their block.

So...what to do. My son won't "get the hint". He just wont. I am thinking of texting the mom and just asking her point blank if the kids aren't welcome. But in a nice way. But then how do you explain that to an 8 and 9 year old?

Then I think I should let him go anytime (with in reason) he asks to go over and maybe someday my son will get the hint. But tonight I let him go and he came home really upset but took it out on everyone around him.

Ugh. Any ideas?
What you see as a "strong personality" others may see as bossy. Have a play date and observe how your son interacts with other children.

Also have you reciprocated by inviting the children over to your house to play? The mom might have felt like you are pushing your kids on her, and taking advantage of her kindness.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,648,483 times
I don't think it is worth pursuing further. Get your son busy doing something else...

Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,452,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
What you see as a "strong personality" others may see as bossy. Have a play date and observe how your son interacts with other children.
Yep.

And if the mom declines, you know they don't want to play anymore. Then let it go.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I don't think it is worth pursuing further. Get your son busy doing something else...
And maybe unpack his toys !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting