Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:13 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,499,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2yellow View Post
Well actually, the page was disabled... I had her sisters check from their pages and a friend of mines searched her name ... but the page was enabled as of yesterday. She hasn't posted anything though. I did try to inbox her, doesn't appear that she has read them ...
She'll read them. Be a steady beacon for her.

When I was in Hawaii (for a year) my youngest (20 at the time) was involved with a MUCH older woman (she had kids his age...however her kids were good friends of my son's, but I digress). They were involved in illegal activities, according to some people who know. I was paying for his phone so he could call me but they ditched the phone, disabled fb and, last I heard they went to Mexico. I'm not exaggerating when I say I cried my eyes out nearly every day for about a month or two, mostly because I feared for his safety and even his life. I had no news, text, email, call, fb message from a person I'd spent every possible moment with for nearly 2 decades. I love him more than life itself.

He's doing better and I hear from him, mostly when he's asking for a few dollars. But I will give him the $20 he needs to pay for fix-a-flat and tire repair. I'll order and pay for a pizza delivery. If he was in my home I'd feed him. I never want to alienate him. That was excruciating.

Remember the story of the Prodigal Son. That's a great example of what you're going through. Please consider reading it anew if its been a while. A demonstration of a father's love, true, but it's how we should all love our children. Even teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:50 PM

19 posts, read 15,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
She'll read them. Be a steady beacon for her.

When I was in Hawaii (for a year) my youngest (20 at the time) was involved with a MUCH older woman (she had kids his age...however her kids were good friends of my son's, but I digress). They were involved in illegal activities, according to some people who know. I was paying for his phone so he could call me but they ditched the phone, disabled fb and, last I heard they went to Mexico. I'm not exaggerating when I say I cried my eyes out nearly every day for about a month or two, mostly because I feared for his safety and even his life. I had no news, text, email, call, fb message from a person I'd spent every possible moment with for nearly 2 decades. I love him more than life itself.

He's doing better and I hear from him, mostly when he's asking for a few dollars. But I will give him the $20 he needs to pay for fix-a-flat and tire repair. I'll order and pay for a pizza delivery. If he was in my home I'd feed him. I never want to alienate him. That was excruciating.

Remember the story of the Prodigal Son. That's a great example of what you're going through. Please consider reading it anew if its been a while. A demonstration of a father's love, true, but it's how we should all love our children. Even teenagers.
Yes... it is hard to explain the horror one goes through waiting to hear from their child. Not knowing is the worst!!!!

She finally called today and needs $300 to get her car (that I bought) out of the impound. I told her that I needed the money to make my own car payment (it's the truth). Suddenly, she wants to be responsible and complete the CNA classes that she started ... but she needs the car to get to the classes ... I bought the car a year ago for that very reason and since then, sugar has been poured in the tank (I paid for repairs), tags expired, everything expired .... and instead of her doing what she needed to do with the car which was the original plan, she destroyed it. I do agree with the other posters that I need to stop enabling her by bailing her out ... I worried myself sick this weekend and now that the weekend is almost over and she can pick up the car tomorrow .... she calls. Typical.

I told her that I was here and that she didn't have to live how she was living, she can come home at any time ... she said she knew.

I have to say though, I feel a whole lot better knowing that she is okay.

I am definitely going to read the Prodical Son tonight ... I really appreciate you suggesting it and I'm glad to hear that your son is doing okay

It helps to know that I am not alone in dealing with this issue ...

Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 AM

51,828 posts, read 26,234,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2yellow View Post
Yes... it is hard to explain the horror one goes through waiting to hear from their child. Not knowing is the worst!!!!

She finally called today and needs $300 to get her car (that I bought) out of the impound. I told her that I needed the money to make my own car payment (it's the truth). Suddenly, she wants to be responsible and complete the CNA classes that she started ... but she needs the car to get to the classes ... I bought the car a year ago for that very reason and since then, sugar has been poured in the tank (I paid for repairs), tags expired, everything expired .... and instead of her doing what she needed to do with the car which was the original plan, she destroyed it. I do agree with the other posters that I need to stop enabling her by bailing her out ... I worried myself sick this weekend and now that the weekend is almost over and she can pick up the car tomorrow .... she calls. Typical.

I told her that I was here and that she didn't have to live how she was living, she can come home at any time ... she said she knew.

I have to say though, I feel a whole lot better knowing that she is okay.

I am definitely going to read the Prodical Son tonight ... I really appreciate you suggesting it and I'm glad to hear that your son is doing okay

It helps to know that I am not alone in dealing with this issue ...
Good news about her completing the CNA classes.

You have made a good start by saying you were unable to help her with getting her car out of impound. How did she figure it out?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,145,473 times
If she really wants to complete the classes, can't she take a bus or get a ride with another student? I would not give her money to fix the car since she already destroyed it (or her "friends" did).

She needs to prove she's willing to do what she needs to do to turn her life around before you give her any further assistance. Moral support only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting