Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,595,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Soccer. The little ones are so funny to watch when playing soccer -- they are like this little pack that all runs close together around the field LOL
My granddaughter just started soccer and it is hysterical. Funniest part was when she suddenly got this burst of energy and mowed through two tackles and kicked in a goal. It was funny because she is SO all-girly-girl, but she sucks at tap & ballet. We were looking at each other like, Wha....? It was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,550,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You said that your kids started playing football at 5 and 6, but the OP's kid is just turning 4. Football here doesn't start until 5, so her kid would be too young. I just checked, and the only sport that will take a four-year-old here (very youth sport centric area) is soccer. In fact, he'd even be too young for soccer due to his later birthday. For what it's worth, I (hugely into sports) think four is too young for organized sports.

If he wants to throw a ball around, take him out to play catch like parents used to do before any sport started at four.
I agree that 4 is too young for some kids. Soccer was the only sport that took 4-yr-olds here also, and the local Y had a soccer camp for 3-yr-olds.

Team sports is hard at this age for many reasons, especially maturity. On our first soccer team, the practices went well, but during our first game two of the boys suddenly turned clingy, cried, and wouldn't leave their dads' side. One couldn't even play, he was so overcome.

And the problem is that you never know how your kids will react in the moment. Sometimes they surprise you with what they CAN handle, though.

Birth order makes a difference, too. My youngest has brothers 7 years older than him. So he was READY to do anything. He could not wait to get sports gear on, it almost didn't matter what kind. But a firstborn may not want to.

I checked the Y nearest the OP, and their flag football program doesn't start till 5 either. So she may have to settle for a family "team" in the backyard for a while, or else just try soccer like so many of us do.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,657,130 times
T-ball was a horrible fit for my high-energy son.

I'd recommend gymnastics, both my kids did it and it was fun while expending energy. Swimming is great for that age group, and important. Soccer and flag football are both fun too, but maybe better in a year or two.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM

352 posts, read 327,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
My son will be 4 in November. All last season he watched football with dh and said he wanted to throw a ball "like the big guys". Now we told him the season is about to start again soon and he is still talking about throwing a ball. We bought him a football and he runs around the park with it.

I was wondering if this is too early to start an organized sport. He is rather fast for his age and very resilient-rarely cries when he skins his knee, etc. Clearly the sport won't be football, but what would be the best choice?
4 is definitely not too early for organized sports. For kids who have that desire, it's never too early. They mature VERY fast on the playing field. I am not a father (yet, I hope to be one in the next 2 years), but I run a sports foundation as well as being a board member, founder and coach at a K-8 school. The younger the kids start, the better they are at taking instructions, following directions and working with others. Team sports are especially important to start young, but individual sports can teach a lot of discipline too. I train with several fighters who have these crazy kids...and the second they get put into boxing or MMA classes they become calmer and better behaved.

I started Little League and AYSO at age 4. AYSO started just weeks after my 4th birthday, Little League was when I was 4.5. Not all leagues will allow such young kids to participate, but my niece and nephew were able to join teams at that age and they loved it.

As an added bonus, it's a REALLY CHEAP BABYSITTING service for an hour to get some errands done while the coach takes care of your kid. It's also a great way to connect with your child by taking an interest in their sport without pressuring them.

Sign your little guy up for football, he'll love it and you'll see plenty of benefits from it.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM

4,490 posts, read 9,364,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
For what it's worth, I (hugely into sports) think four is too young for organized sports.

If he wants to throw a ball around, take him out to play catch like parents used to do before any sport started at four.
This.

My nephew's first year of soccer (age 4?) I attended one game. A couple kids on each team were truly involved in the game. A few others were enjoying being on the field. The rest of the kids would have preferred to quit at the first drink break. A few cried: Do I have to keep playing? When is it over?

My great-nephew wanted to play soccer the first year he was eligible. He was coordinated, energetic, and wanted to join a team. He spent practices fussing, complaining, and running off from the practice area.

My cousin coaches little ones in football - including his own kids. He uses candy to bribe the kids and keep them happy.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM

217 posts, read 316,445 times
Swimming and karate

Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,766,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Swimming and karate
I've never seen a swim team for this age..is it popular in your area?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,178,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've never seen a swim team for this age..is it popular in your area?
I started swim team when I was 5, so for a 4 year old it would probably just be swim lessons and other water activities in a class setting.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,766,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I started swim team when I was 5, so for a 4 year old it would probably just be swim lessons and other water activities in a class setting.
Swim team start at age 7 here....and while I think swim lessons are VERY important for all kids...they are much different than a team.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,178,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Swim team start at age 7 here....and while I think swim lessons are VERY important for all kids...they are much different than a team.
I was on a swim team from when I was 5 until about 16-17. I know that its much different then swim lessons. But if the OP is interested in this suggestion made by another poster, then her son would first need to know how to swim. A 4 year old is old enough to learn how to swim, so it would be a good activity to participate in if there are no other sports in the OPs area for a 4 year old to participate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting