Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I'm fully aware of what my 10 and 11 year old kids are watching. So far they are pretty good at policing themselves or asking me first.

I have our DirecTV set up so that you need a input a passcode to watch anything rated R or higher. I also have a passcode set up so that DirecTV won't turn on until after the dinner hour so they can't watch TV after they get home from school.

They do have their electronics on which they can get Netflix, but the good thing about Netflix is that you can see "Recently Watched" titles, and if I see something wonky (such as when I saw "Orange is the New Black" pop up), all I have to do is confirm with my husband that HE was the watcher. 10 times out of 10 thus far, he has been. I have a parental control installed on all electronics so that inappropriate websites or content cannot be accessed - I get an email whenever prohibited access is attempted (so far it has not been).

Thankfully, when it comes to TV my kids are much more interested in Cartoon Network than "real" shows. Our Tivo is full of World of Gumball, Clarence, Pokémon and Adventure Time. The only non-cartoon show they watch is Doctor Who, with my blessing. They just don't have any interest in anything else right now. Oh - Wipeout. They LOVE Wipeout.

As for movies, if a movie is PG-13 they always ask me if they can watch it. I use kids-in-mind.com to determine if it's something acceptable for them to see. I mostly ignore the ratings and go straight KIM to find out the specific content. They've seen a couple rated R movies on TV that I thought they could handle, but I sat with them so that I could turn away from the channel if necessary (two movies that come to mind are Slumdog Millionaire and Aliens).
That's good, at some point we as parents have to guide our children into watching more maturer content and that will come and then sex ed all that stuff. Maybe some of the posters in here does not realize the amount of explicit content that are available freely on the internet and is easy to access. Their children is already accessing them without knowing. It isn't like anything in the past where all you see is partial nudity. Today you have access to extreme graphical content easily sometimes a miss search on google turns up some really obscene content. It's hard to explain to children what the depictions mean and they can take that image and it transpires to something else in their brain and changes their social development.

As a kid, I grew up seeing some kids watch adult content and develop this obsession with female body parts and this causes relationship problems for some. They can't communicate with girls without thinking about all the sexual stuff. Which is why some kids rush into sex when they get addicted to this stuff and their parents have no clue about how to restrict their access on mobile devices.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM

105 posts, read 110,987 times
I think that we overreact about the effect things like this have on our kids. My 6 year old would never sit through anything with human actors so it's not an issue. If the 10 year old is actually interested, why not? It could serve as a teaching tool.

We are so adament about sheltering them from anything that doesn't make you poop skittles and that's just not realistic. If you are coddled your entire adolescent life you will hit 18 and not know how to make your own choices or live as an adult.

Just saying.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
me and my cousins, 4 of us, found my dads nudie movies when we were in middle school... watched em all while the parents were out. This isn't a new concept. We were curious. It was gross cause they were older films but hey, saw things I never saw before! This was before the whole being desensitized by video games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting