Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM

421 posts, read 556,903 times

Advertisements

Since three baby birds have left the nest I found I have a really funny reaction. Right after they leave I clean their room manic like for 24 hours. I don't toss their stuff, but I clean and organize. I think its to feel a little control and mourn in a way.

But the op's children were taken from her. I'm imagining there is a lot more to mourn then the kids growing up. All the feelings of loss and all the hopes of getting them back some day must be showing up strongly.

Op, have you worked through the grief of losing them in the first place with a therapist? That just way too much to hold in on your own.

Sending you lots of positive vibes or prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,387,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Since three baby birds have left the nest I found I have a really funny reaction. Right after they leave I clean their room manic like for 24 hours. I don't toss their stuff, but I clean and organize. I think its to feel a little control and mourn in a way.

But the op's children were taken from her. I'm imagining there is a lot more to mourn then the kids growing up. All the feelings of loss and all the hopes of getting them back some day must be showing up strongly.

Op, have you worked through the grief of losing them in the first place with a therapist? That just way too much to hold in on your own.

Sending you lots of positive vibes or prayers.
You know, it took me a couple of years, I guess. My ex husband actually wouldn't let me see my daughter for 2 years during that time, which was awful and exactly the time she really needed her mother.

I do have a social life and I am in a wonderful relationship.

I am very proud of my son for going to college, and now my daughter as well. Their father does not believe in furthering your education.

I am more than happy that my son is breaking free from his fathers grasp. I know it is going to take him a while to truly understand that the lifestyle he lived with his father is not normal and really flat out wrong.

When I left him it actually took me a few years to do that. I do not think my daughter will be able to break free.

I will be fine. It's just tough to see them growing up.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,259,508 times
When my mum was preparing for an empty nest (I don't think my dad was so bothered by it) she started a new hobby that took up a lot of her time (running), she also increased her social life (joining running clubs etc.) and, after a few years, she went back to working full time (she had worked part time the whole time we were home). She didn't end up getting an empty nest as my brother moved back in but even if he hadn't I think she would cope fine as she has so much more going on in her life now.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
But otherwise, congrats on raising a good man in spite of a questionable father figure.
Aw come on... you have the give the dad some credit surely.

There are always three sides to the story.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Aw come on... you have the give the dad some credit surely.

There are always three sides to the story.
I don't think so. He was abusive to all of us and that is why I left him. He paid child support when he thought I deserved it. He did not let me take the kids beds with me. He always tried to take the kids while drunk..in a vehicle.

The kids ended up with him because he could afford a lawyer and I could not. These days he tries to kick the kids out and his gf tells the kids its her house and they can stay as long as they want. Of course they can come here.

He is against college, so my kids going to college has nothing to do with him.

My kids are afraid of him. It took me 2 years, maybe more, of being away from him to stop fearing him.

He deserves no credit.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,082 times
What's done is done. The hardest part is letting go of the hate and pain, the empty nest might signal to you that it's time to stop the fight and let it go.
Apply your feelings to replenishing a relationship with your kids as adults. You'll be the go to grandma, and a good ear when things go wrong.
If possible, refrain from bringing up the dad again. What's done is done, and your kids will appreciate you just being around to talk about everything else. I'm sure you both already know what you didn't like about their dad. No need to beat a dead horse.
Empty nesting gives everyone pause, but a new day awaits. You will have more moments to share the good things now that they are growing up and can decide things on their own. It should get much better.
Give yourself a morning period, and then move above it. New pastures.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What's done is done. The hardest part is letting go of the hate and pain, the empty nest might signal to you that it's time to stop the fight and let it go.
Apply your feelings to replenishing a relationship with your kids as adults. You'll be the go to grandma, and a good ear when things go wrong.
If possible, refrain from bringing up the dad again. What's done is done, and your kids will appreciate you just being around to talk about everything else. I'm sure you both already know what you didn't like about their dad. No need to beat a dead horse.
Empty nesting gives everyone pause, but a new day awaits. You will have more moments to share the good things now that they are growing up and can decide things on their own. It should get much better.
Give yourself a morning period, and then move above it. New pastures.
I have a fine relationship with my children. I do not have to replenish our relationship. I have not ever spoken ill of their father in front of them.

I have had a mourning period, I was just responding to the father getting credit, he really does not deserve it for all that he has done.

Their dad and I have gotten along for the last few years up until my daughter turned 18 in February. He told us all that he was done and since then he does not meet me halfway with the kids and he does not speak to me. He is done.

I usually just talk to his gf whenever I need to know something or let them know something and I actually like it much better since that change was made.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,761,617 times
Congratulations OP, your children have made it out of childhood alive! Have a drink and celebrate.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Congratulations OP, your children have made it out of childhood alive! Have a drink and celebrate.
Aww, thanks!

Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
These days he tries to kick the kids out and his gf tells the kids its her house and they can stay as long as they want.
At least his girlfriend has a head on her shoulders and treats them right. It's good to know if they are stuck there, they do have someone saying positive things to them an it's not only his negativity they hear everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting