Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 AM

18,706 posts, read 19,007,480 times

Advertisements

The head of the table type thing annoys me.... and I cant stand the father who thinks he deserves to be treated like a king because he has a brood of kids he brought into the world... its nice to teach manners but not to instil into children that their parent is a god..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,399,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
LMAO. If you're still around on CD in 10 years you'll no doubt be posting about how unruly your children are and where did you go wrong!#? I just hope I remember this thread. . I agree with you on one thing though, you are whipped in your household...by your children!
Pretty much ^^ . Behavior that is hilarious at 3 is not so funny at 16.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,399,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The head of the table type thing annoys me.... and I cant stand the father who thinks he deserves to be treated like a king because he has a brood of kids he brought into the world... its nice to teach manners but not to instil into children that their parent is a god..
Fortunately, I've never known a man like that, even here in the South.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,773,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Fortunately, I've never known a man like that, even here in the South.
Me either, and I was raised by a southern momma and a NY daddy. You know what though? Dad's chair at the table was dad's chair at the table. It was his chair and his place. Who cared? I didn't. My bed was my bed. Things that I bought with my own money, were MY things. They were MINE. When people treated MY stuff that I bought and treasured, as if it were THEIR stuff, it pi$$ed me off!!!!!!

If we sat down to watch television, did I "wish" I could have sat in Dad's soft, comfy, fuzzy, warm recliner? Oh MAN! YEAH! Oh well, it was HIS recliner. So what. I totally got over it, knew that someday, I was gonna make me enough money to buy my OWN reclinder. Dang, call it a rite of passage! ....kinda like a driver's license, drinking age, etc. When YOU grow up, you're gonna.....

As far as the "head of the household" (king of his castle), maybe, just MAYBE if we started respecting our husbands, maybe if more men behaved as respectable, HEADS of their households, started ACTING like responsible leaders, things would start straightening out a bit. My husband was the HEAD of our household and was treated accordingly! HE never once, demanded to be treated as such. That man, in fact, has NEVER gotten his food first, at mealtime, unless he was FORCED to do so. No, it was ME, his wife, who demanded that he be seen as THE head of this household. We're going on 33 years together and folks, that's why. My sons WANT to attain that position and my daughter is looking for someone whom she respects enough to PUT in that position. Just doin' my job.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM

12,547 posts, read 10,029,133 times
Quote:
Yeah that would suck...nowadays fathers are basically the butt of some long running joke. They are to be laughed at, mocked, wallet poached and expelled to areas of the house no one wants to go (aka man caves). If divorce happens they wont be kings but they'll pay a king's ransom in child support.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 08-15-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM

192 posts, read 272,083 times
Quote:
That's the way it is in France too.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,086,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
I absolutely agree that kids should listen to parents, teachers and other close adults. That being said, respect is earned. Ad parents we brought them into the world, and do endless other things for our beloved children. Teachers spend the day educating them. Random people, however, do not. I don't recommend kids being rude to anyone--adults or fellow children. But some think that simply because adults are older, they are superior.

Pedophiles and rapists are adults too. We may give speeches about.touching but on the contrary we teach them to honor all elders. It can be confusing to children and they may be afraid to say no. If someone is out of line with your child in general, why shouldn't he put them in their place? They have done nothing for him to earn honor.

So a question to the "seen and not heard" followers:
What is older ? The moment someone turns 18, the 9 year old should bow down? Sounds a bit off to me.
I am thoughtful towards my 99 year old great grandmother but when she tells us to put her socks in the stove we don't do it.

The basic point is: The line between respect and total submission concerning adults and children is blurred.
This is one of the silliest, unreflective posts I can recall for some time. You've framed this as black and white and used the example of pedophiles. I'm guessing you're either one of those "noone-can-tell-my-kid-what-to-do" parents with kids that run wild or you're a kid. Either way, It's hard to know where to start.

Adults aren't inherently superior, but in most functioning human societies that I can think of adults are higher up in the human social hierarchy. The default social behavior for children is therefore respect (being polite, appropriate social behavior). Do you let your kids run wild in a restaurant and then get bent out of shape if another customer tells them to quite bumping their table? Or, perhaps, you'd be outraged if I told your little darling to quit texting in a movie? If so, they you are personally contributing to the general decline in civility that we all lament.

And to top it off you seem to be justifying permissiveness with examples that make absolutely no sense. Socks in the oven? Doing what a pedophile wants because they're an adult? Seriously???

Quit screwing up your kids and making the world a worse place for the rest of us.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,894,596 times
From a religious standpoint: My children are trained that we are an authority, so we are to be listened to, respected and obeyed. Do they always 100% do that? no, but thats part of the on going training.

as for the head of the household- same answer as above. In our house, my husband is the head. He gets the head of the table (when there is a chair there), he gets the say in things, he gets the decisions.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 AM

723 posts, read 874,762 times
I'll be polite to everyone but I respect hardly anyone of any age.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 6,350,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I'll be polite to everyone but I respect hardly anyone of any age.
Everyone deserves respect imho until proven otherwise. Even you. It's like "innocent until proven guilty."
What is politeness anyways? If you are not polite out of respect, it almost seems manipulative or insincere at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting