Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,848,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
There's often older kids out too who keep an eye on the younger ones (there's only 4 young ones). I pop out and check every 10 minutes or so because I'm not quite as comfortable as the other parents are because I'm not used to this but no other parents seem to be out unless its with babies or outsiders at the park.
And if it were only the 4 toddlers would you still allow your 3 year old to be there completely unsupervised, even if for only 10 mins at the park across the street from your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,333,281 times
Yes, they do. They play in the front and back yards of our house and about 4 others. They pretty much have to stay at one of those houses or be visible from the front yard. If they want to go any farther, they have to ask.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:29 PM

421 posts, read 559,604 times
Don't parents leave their babies in strollers outside of restaurants in France ? I think if its the norm, the community is looking out for the kids in general. When I was 4ish I was walking around my neighborhood with my slightly older sister. I remember trying to go home alone once and got lost cause I couldn't see over the grass in a field. Lol. So reasonable limits. I think what natsku describes sounds reasonable

Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,352,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I am wondering if there are any places in the US left where kids play outside unsupervised, and its the norm. So I'm wondering where you live and if kids playing outside in groups or with a friend is the norm, safe, thought as a positive or negative or potentially illegal? At what age do kids get that freedom?

Growing up, we started playing outside with siblings and peers, without direct supervision, at 4 or 5. And by 7 we were given massive freedom, as long as we were home by dinner (how we managed to know when that was, no idea! We didn't wear watches). By 11 we could play outside at night time so long as we were home by bedtime. We lived rurally, and then in apartments. I am 36 so this wasn't like 70 years ago.

Now we live in the city, houston. But our neighborhood is more like a suburb. No kids play outside here. They used to but that group of kids are teens now and it seems no one has since then. I'm sure its neighborhood dependent, but I feel like I never see kids playing outside without a parent hovering. My kids (9 and 7.5) play in our front yard and drive way, and ride their scooters on the sidewalk up and down the block. But thats it. And I have gotten flack for allowing it. I'm always within ear shot, and I check on them. They also know about safety. So....seriously. My son is nervous because he looks young for his age and had a man stop his car and yell at him to go home.

So what about where you live? We want to move out of houston and having more outdoor play for the kids is near the top of our list.
Yes, kids play outside in my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I sit outside and do homework while my son plays with neighborhood friends. Often I just have everyone over to swim in our pool while doing homework.
I am in the counseling field (almost graduated) and there are far too many pedophiles to let children run free!
Where swimming is concerned, the recommendation is that one adult do nothing but watch the kids! It is too easy to get distracted otherwise. Preschool supervision means being able to touch the kids.
CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM

421 posts, read 559,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, kids play outside in my neighborhood.

Where swimming is concerned, the recommendation is that one adult do nothing but watch the kids! It is too easy to get distracted otherwise. Preschool supervision means being able to touch the kids.
CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center
Yep, we always supervise swimming. I even keep an eye on teens in our pool. Not to the same degree, but peak out at them, esp when they are swimming alone.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,298,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And if it were only the 4 toddlers would you still allow your 3 year old to be there completely unsupervised, even if for only 10 mins at the park across the street from your home?
If the other toddlers are there then yeah. I only don't let her play there if there's no other kids there. Usually they don't go to the park without the older kids though anyway, they stay in the communal gardens or in my back garden to go on the trampoline (I supervise that though)

Old 08-10-2014, 04:34 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,352,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Same here. In my apartment complex, I'm a little shocked at how little freedom most of the kids have. We're talking 10- and 11-year-olds not allowed to cross the street. At first I got a lot of strange looks because I allow my 9-year-old to ride his bike to his friend's house at the other side of the complex, or allow my 6-year-old to cross the street, or allow my 3-year-old to ride his scooter on the sidewalk while I watch at the window. I found that they are even more cautious when I'm not hovering over them, thwarting every perceived threat.
As for crossing the street, it depends on the street. Are you talking a quiet street in a residential area, or a busy through street? There's plenty of research that says kids can't really judge car speed until they are around age 10. I'd also be concerned about a 3 year old riding a scooter on the sidewalk, with an adult not within arm's reach. Too easy to go out into the street, or get hit by a car backing out of a driveway.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:34 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,100,118 times
My kids had a lot of freedom, because they could go from yard to yard without having to cross any streets.

Kids do play outside here, although I see boys outside more often than girls, and we have a pretty equal amount of both in the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,298,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Don't parents leave their babies in strollers outside of restaurants in France ? I think if its the norm, the community is looking out for the kids in general. When I was 4ish I was walking around my neighborhood with my slightly older sister. I remember trying to go home alone once and got lost cause I couldn't see over the grass in a field. Lol. So reasonable limits. I think what natsku describes sounds reasonable
Don't know if they do in France but they do to a certain extent in the Nordic countries. I've left my daughter outside shops in her pram a few times.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,116,518 times
Young kids? No. I've seen teens outside but hardly ever younger kids. We have a ton of kids in our neighborhood, but one would hardly know it. However, in our area kids are typically very scheduled and/or in full time care of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting