Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 PM

8,282 posts, read 7,636,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure, let's argue about the use of the word "always", as opposed to "often" or "regularly". I think you get the gist.
I'd rather not argue, thanks.

Like I said, I'm sure the blogger's family and friends know a lot more about her situation than I do. I hope many people find comfort in her words and take her advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM

26,952 posts, read 27,201,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My 12 year old daughters read this out loud today. An Open Letter to My Teenage Son About Drinking*|*Kathy Radigan
Great letter. Oddly, it did not evoke any emotion in me about my own (adult) kids, who seemed to avoid this in high school, but certainly faced it while in college. Reading it made me wish that my own parents had been this proactive with my siblings and me. Not that we ever got into trouble, but I recall more than once wondering why they didn't pay more attention to what was going on back then. They just assumed that we never wandered into that unsupervised party, of which there were many, many more than they probably ever imagined.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,469,678 times
That's pretty much the way my parents approached the topic with me and my siblings, and it worked well. I did not drink at all in high school, and I drink infrequently (a couple times a year at social occasions) as an adult. I have never abused drugs. Other than prescriptions, only ibuprofen has a permanent spot in our medicine cabinet. Nobody in our immediate family smokes or has ever done so.

Accordingly, I think the author's message can be very effective with some kids, and it's how my husband and I have chosen to handle the issue with our own children. Her most important point, one that I've talked to my kids about frequently, is this: Don't compound a bad decision with more bad decisions. It's a lesson every one of us needs to learn and heed.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-26-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting