Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This isn't Facebook, but it applies anyway:

Urban Dictionary: Vaguebooking
It's just more Shakespearean drama. In the other thread he indicated he is absolutely not going to sit back and take it--the opposite of what he is saying here.

I feel for that poor kid who can't seem to locate a mature adult in his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It's just more Shakespearean drama. In the other thread he indicated he is absolutely not going to sit back and take it--the opposite of what he is saying here.

Amen. This whole thing is absurd & makes me oh so grateful for my own & my childrens' boring ass life.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:

It looks like that is where dad is headed, what a shame.

I feel so bad for his son.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-23-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate remark/ word choice

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:

I agree. I feel sorry for the kid.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM

291 posts, read 392,457 times
The take-away here is that having a good lawyer on a retainer is ALWAYS worth the money in a divorce case.

A good lawyer could get the alimony reduced or paused while OP is disabled. I don't care what men's rights advocates say: in most states you can't even GET alimony anymore for more than six months. Women are supposed to work.

Second of all, child support is not 50% of a person's income in any state. So however she got that money, I have no idea, but you needed a lawyer. I couldn't even get 30% of his income for two children still in daycare, and my state is supposed to be extremely pro-woman according to men's rights people. So seriously, OP, if your story is straight, you have been royally screwed.

A lawyer would also inform you about what your ex-wife is doing legally. S/he would inform you that some events you've described here are legally impossible. S/he'd explain what is going to happen and what your options are.

Most importantly, if your son had questions about what is happening with his support legally, you could refer him to the lawyer who would be able to do what everyone here is telling you to do: to explain in relatively simple terms, legally, what has happened, why you are not paying support, and to be objective and look your kid straight in the eye and say, "Your parents do love you, though they're in a tough spot right now, and they're doing their best."

I know you don't have money. I know you aren't expecting a settlement. But you need to contact a legal aid office.

On personal terms just leave the poor kid out of it.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
It is stressful for a child, even an adult child to hear divorced parents complain about one another. Even hearing the petty stuff was annoying. All you have to say is "I love you, and due to my injury, sometimes I was unable to be with you, and support you. If you feel short changed I'm sorry for that, but I have always loved you." How your son reacts to the conversation, has nothing to do with his manhood.

You sound rather dramatic. Just be sincere, and to the point when talking to your son. Don't try to get a leg up, by putting down his mother. She is his mother, and his perception of her does not need to be tainted because of his parents failed marriage. If he has questions, answer them without anger or blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting