Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 AM

85 posts, read 195,698 times

Advertisements

What do you tell them ?
What do you do to provide a foundation to protect them against falling into one of these things
Did it work ?

I don't remember my parents talking to me about smoking/alcohol or drugs, I did not AVOID drugs on purpose, just did not present an opportunity. so it was sheer dumb luck that i did not end up like a couple of my friends did- dead.

Last edited by sasha77; 07-03-2014 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
What do you tell them ?
What do you do to provide a foundation to protect them against falling into one of these things
Did it work ?

I don't remember my parents talking to me about smoking/alcohol or drugs, I did not seek it out on purpose. so it was sheer dumb luck that i did not end up like a couple of my friends did- dead.
Early. Had no choice. My daughter, at the tender age of 7 or 8, watched a 5th grader marched out of her elementary school by the police. He had been attempting to sell "cheese" (heroin). Is that sad or what?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 AM

85 posts, read 195,698 times
Do you mind sharing the details of your talk ? What did you say ?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Early. Had no choice. My daughter, at the tender age of 7 or 8, watched a 5th grader marched out of her elementary school by the police. He had been attempting to sell "cheese" (heroin). Is that sad or what?
it is sad,,,but you are right,,,take the opportunity

however, as your child gets older early , to midteens,,,take the mystery/allure out of substances

when I was 14-15 at a family gathering one of my uncles saw us trying to steal an adult drink,,,he came over,,and said ,,here,,, have my beer (knowing we wouldn't like it) but I took a big drink and spit it out as did my cousin,,,,
that took any and all mystery out of alcohol away from us for quite a while

when my son was younger in his teens,,id let him try a couple drinks a sip, most things he didn't like,,
so when the time came -under peer pressure to drink, he didn't take it - ironically, it was more the
kids that had very strict parents....you see this when kids go to college- the kids that had very strict parents,,,they went nuts, partying and drinking..
im not advocating,,,,giving alcohol to kids, or not being strict,,,,
just try to avoid it being a big mystery

the best gift a parent can give a kid, is confidence, then they make far better decisions
most drinking, drugs are an escape from who they are

poor parenting, and poor role models are destructive for kids- also, on the other extreme, you cant smother kids, because natural curiosity is part of being a teen

my son is now a responsible 21 yr old adult,, I was lucky, I did not have one issue with drugs or alcohol with him in high school, sadly, he could see firsthand how destructive it was when his peers were taking/using them

Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Pretty much from the moment they can talk and understand speech is when I start. That is when you start to explain to them what drugs are - how to recognise them in the house - never to eat them - that the wrong thing in their body at the wrong time can cause all kinds of horrible problems - and so forth.

And then you build on this over the years up to and including the teens from there.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
My children are the ones that lecture us about drinking. They are 9 and 11. When we go out to restaurants, my son will turn to my husband if he orders a second beer and say, "Dada, one is enough." And when I order a cocktail, I'll offer him the fruit from the rim and he'll make a face and say, "I don't want something that has touched ALCOHOL."

When they were very young, I intended on eventually having "the talk" with them, but their elementary school has had regular "anti-" programs over the years and it has pretty much indoctrinated my children to hate drugs, smoking and alcohol.

I'm not stupid, though. I know at SOME point they'll be curious about the taste of alcohol. And I have no qualms about letting them take a sip of the nastiest beer out there if only to make them decide they don't want it (which is what happened to me).

Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
What do you tell them ?
Did it work ?

I don't remember my parents talking to me about smoking/alcohol or drugs, I did not AVOID drugs on purpose, just did not present an opportunity. so it was sheer dumb luck that i did not end up like a couple of my friends did- dead.
Very very young. I think my daughter was a kindergartner, maybe a little younger, the first time I remember talking about drugs with her. We went into the city to see a show and we met a homeless woman in the train station bathroom asking for money. She asked me what the woman wanted money for (she was clearly a junkie) and I told her it was probably for drugs. We then talked about drugs a little bit. That drugs are something that at first make you feel good but than make you very sick, and that some people wanted to feel good so badly they didn't care about being sick. She asked me how sick they got and I was honest and told her that frequently they died.

That was the end of that conversation but I couldn't count the number of times we talked about it after that. When she was young tv was a great way to talk about those things.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
I started at age 3-4 and talked about if you find pills or something you think might be candy. My daughter was really good and would even show me a gummy bear her friend gave her to see if it was candy.

Then it progressed to teaching her about how medicine is good and bad, and you have to be careful and only take what is recommended and safe. Only mommy, daddy, a doctor, a nurse, and grandparents can give you medicine.

At around age 6 I started to teach her about the difference between legal and illegal drugs. I taught her that cigarettes and alcohol are not legal for children because their brains and bodies are still forming. Later around age 8 I went into how people can die from alcohol poisoning or emphysema. We have family members that died from both of those.

At age 8-9 I talked about why some people do illegal drugs, because it temporarily feels good or it numbs their pain. Then I talked about how that good feeling goes away and people can become addicted. I also said that people in our family become addicted and the drug becomes the most important thing in their lives. More important than friends, family, or their health.

We have started practicing saying no thanks in a light and non judge mental way. It's how I got out of doing drugs when I was in school.

This may be more than most people say to their kids, but knowing my family history I am not leaving things to chance.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM

17 posts, read 21,979 times
I told my children as soon as they could understand the words that were coming out of my mouth, but really, around 4 or 5 years old because of growing up in a major city but I realize, that isn't the only place drugs happen,but I guess it worked, all my children have always come to me with anything and now that they are all grown, they still tell me that they haven't tried anything harder then pot, and they are teaching their children at the same age, I showed them as they got older, tapes of what I recorded from the streets of what drugs did to people, I also moved us all to the burbs, not much better, just not so in your face.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
My kids are 6 and so far the only talke we've had was about cigarettes. They don't see people smoking very often (no one in our family or neighborhood smokes) but they've seen it now and then out in public.

One of my boys saw a woman smoking in a car and said, "maybe she just hates her life and wants to kill herself with cigarettes" lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting