Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston05 View Post
Thanks for all the responses...

I think we can rule out Aspergers. It's not that she has trouble making friends, it's that she doesn't even want any.

But then again, The most unusual thing is that she seems to have no interest in guys at all. It's weird. Even the quiet kids I know have at least went on a few dates or shown interests, crushes, etc. Worries me.

And yes I am going to suggest to her about going to community college soon. Though it doesn't seem like you'd be able to do much with writing classes. What are the odds of becoming an author? Not looking too good.
Who said she had to be an author? She could be an English teacher, a journalist, an editor, a publisher, she could do PR. She should find out about career possibilities while she's at school. What are the odds of her finding a satisfying career while working at a movie theater and sitting in her room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
I'm sorry, I just don't get worrying mostly about whether or not she has a boyfriend. Honestly, who cares? I'd be more concerned if she doesn't have any goals regarding a career or education or something. Is the job she has one that has opportunity to move up and eventually be self supporting? What are her plans for the future and how does she plan on supporting herself in the future? Those would be my concerns. A boyfriend? Pfft.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
I would just be playful about her her activities, like a roughhousing soughta childish way, and then even mock yourself, while doing so.

Otherwise I would go outside to places, you feel your daughter "should" be going to, even if she does not. I mean any soughta place you have been, even if you had bad experiences.

Like school is alright, but you want to maybe see her going outside and dealing with life, with men.....is that is what you are saying, or go outside and deal with her business outside???

Also you say she is writing things? like what, but otherwise I would just ask her about her, and what and who she is, and just be playful about it, but never judgmental, unless you want to stress your opinion. Not to be judgmental and all.

Community college? If she is a real go-getter, she could do the running-man and go to a big four year college. Community college is for people who are unable to get into the regular four year schools, and their credits do not count to some degree requirements.

THat is my opinion on this
Community college is also for those who can't afford four years at those schools and for those who are seeking vocational education. In many states, state universities are required to accept community college credits.

Community college sounds like a great idea for OPs daughter because it wouldn't be as intense of a social environment.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM

483 posts, read 692,343 times
OP, I have to say, based upon my experiences with my own mother, if you go anywhere near "the odds of being a writer these days aren't too good" with her, what your daughter is going to hear is, "and I don't think your writing is good enough to beat those odds". That's what I thought/heard at her age, because I can't think of any youngster who starts out thinking "yes, I am really mediocre at this creative pursuit" - because if they did, we probably wouldn't ever get any successful novelists or novels. I mean, maybe I wouldn't have made a writer, but having to race into supporting myself full time and taking a draining McJob that saps me of any desire to do anything except veg out in front of the TV until it's time to start things all over again, certainly hasn't spurred me to write drafts on spec in my "spare time". No offense intended, just trying to stick up for the young creatives.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,793,239 times
Read the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain:

Quiet (QUIET): The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (Jan 24, 2012) (QUIET): Susan Cain: 8937485908175: Amazon.com: Books

Actually, just read the summary first. You will quickly see why introverts are misunderstood but often very successful. They often, also have a high "EQ" (emotional intelligence). I'd read the book to try to understand your daughter. She probably just doesn't need /want social stimulation. It's hard for extroverts to understand. But it she is happy, it is OK.

And the writing she does may just be a good sign (see book).

Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,793,239 times
Also, there are MUCH bigger problems you could have with a daughter this age. Think about the young adults / parents dealing with drugs, unwanted pregnancies, unemployment, depression, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting