Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not really.

It is overdiagnosed and has a very low sequelae rate.

Antibiotics for ear infections...also usually over-prescribed.

I know it is easier for me bc I know when it really is time to take something, but as a physician, I pretty much avoid medicating my family. Especially antibiotics. People get antibiotics bc they are patient pleasers. You have no idea how angry people get if you imply they should let their bodies heal themselves. Or that a virus simply takes time. Not to mention this nonsense about how the snot colors mean something, etc.

In 9 years, my wife has taken abx twice. My son once...and I did not really think it was necessary, but I also refuse to treat my family (I just tell them when it is time to see the pediatrician/their doc).

I hurt myself pretty badly 2 weeks ago. Fell off my bike and my back was so messed up I could not straighten out. I could not sit for more than a minute and every position was uncomfortable. Tears in my eyes painful.

I took cayenne, did stretches, heating pad, used my accupressure mat, and ran a 5k 10 days later.

The answer to op is that they need to find a doctor both parents like and trust and go with the third party tie breaker.
Are you saying strep tests have a high rate of false positives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Are you saying strep tests have a high rate of false positives?
Not high. But you can get positive with carrier state vs actual illness. Also normal flora can trigger a false positive.

Studies showing just a false positive rate of 2-15% negative culture, too.

Let us not forget how many people are treated presumptively bc of the classic symptoms...which are actually also present with viral pharyngitis (exudate, swollen tonsils).

Overall, if you have a positive rapid antigen test, the consensus is to treat. Waiting for positive culture results is unlikely to result in bad outcome.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
She did have a positive culture result and has had very high fevers for the past few days so pretty confident the diagnosis is right. Her dad just worries about antibiotics damaging her intestinal flora I guess.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
She did have a positive culture result and has had very high fevers for the past few days so pretty confident the diagnosis is right. Her dad just worries about antibiotics damaging her intestinal flora I guess.
Well, if her culture is positive, he needs to get over it and find a good probiotic.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
We can't find a doctor we both like and trust, we live separately and she sees my local doctors when she's here (which is whatever doctor is available when its an urgent appointment) and his local doctors when she's there.

Have you considered that this dynamic may be playing into the problem?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Have you considered that this dynamic may be playing into the problem?
Well it does of course to an extent but even when we lived together we could never agree on medical matters (which led to her mild skin infection becoming very nasty one time). I'm seriously considering going back to court to try and get sole decision making rights but unsure if I would win or not.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
He's disagreeing with the doctor's advice and wants to get a second opinion (from a doctor he knows will agree with him) which seems ridiculous to me for the issue (antibiotics for strep throat). This happens with pretty much every medical decision so we're trying to figure out guidelines for us so we don't argue every time (he actually called child protection services today over this!)
Quote:
We can't find a doctor we both like and trust, we live separately and she sees my local doctors when she's here (which is whatever doctor is available when its an urgent appointment) and his local doctors when she's there.
In your situation, it sounds like the best plan is to both make the decisions on your own whenever the child is in each of your care. If either of you are uncomfortable with that, it's time to go back to court.

In the United States, parents can lose joint/shared custody if they can't make parenting decisions together. Since he called CPS, I'd take the custody agreement back to court and let the court decide who makes medical decisions. Your ex wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court because the court will view his decision to not provide treatment as putting your daughter at risk. He will also look bad because he called CPS over antibiotics.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well it does of course to an extent but even when we lived together we could never agree on medical matters (which led to her mild skin infection becoming very nasty one time). I'm seriously considering going back to court to try and get sole decision making rights but unsure if I would win or not.
Won't know unless you try.

I told my wife about this - she said she leaves professional decisions up to the professionals.
I don't try my own law cases, I don't rewire my house, I don't pull my own teeth...I make sound, educated, informed decisions based on the judicious advice of trusted professionals.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

I did suggest to him tonight that whichever parent is with her at the time makes the final decision on the issue at hand but he wasn't happy about that suggestion. I'm not eligible for legal aid any more so want to leave court as a last resort but I guess he wouldn't willingly give up that right if I try and get it done through the child welfare officer (as that doesn't cost)

Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
I told my wife about this - she said she leaves professional decisions up to the professionals.
I don't try my own law cases, I don't rewire my house, I don't pull my own teeth...I make sound, educated, informed decisions based on the judicious advice of trusted professionals.
You are completely missing that the father doesn't want to leave the decisions to the professionals. That's why she's posting here. They can't even agree on which medical professional to use. Based on my extensive experience caring for a family that has had many medical situations---my children and husband---nobody should blindly follow a doctor's advice. You take it into consideration, consult other professionals, do your own research, and make the decision yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting