Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:58 PM

215 posts, read 260,316 times

Advertisements

I searched for similar threads but couldnt find any so here goes. Both my spouse and I work full time and my 2 and half year old goes to daycare. When I see her in the evening there is about 3 (precious) hours that I can spend with her. Some days we take her to the park but most days we do activities together: reading, learning counting, alphabets, finger-painting etc. I mentioned this to a friend who suggested some very different things: Blowing bubbles, letting her play in a splash pad, taking her for a ride on bike etc..I am curious to know what most parents do.. Can you please share your activities? I would love to incorporate something new into our routine every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,967,661 times
We go to the pool in the summer months or ride scooters or go for walks.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,106 times
Sidewalk chalk is fun too! Cuddling and reading is a great way to spend time as well.

They remember the little things.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,858,749 times
When our son was that age he loved it when I'd blow bubbles. It can be done outdoors, or indoors (best not around food though.) He would happily chase the bubbles.

If you're indoors than let your child relax & play in the bathtub while you sit alongside the tub. Put waterproof, floaty toys in the tub, and play with them together.

Sit all together on the couch & read age-appropriate books out loud.

Sit on the floor with your child & play with his favorite toys.

After not seeing you all day I'm sure he just wants to relax & spend time together. I would imagine that daycare is noisy & not a relaxing place, so just doing something quiet with him would seem beneficial.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
Set up a tent in your living room if you have one. Then set up toys pillows and blankets inside. Pretend to camp and have a picnic. The. You get to pretend to be a bear.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 PM

506 posts, read 327,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We go to the pool in the summer months or ride scooters or go for walks.
Just wish to note that riding scooters may or may not be a good choice, but I trust the OP to be able to judge for him/herself.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
Fingerpainting is fun! You can use nontoxic paint and put your child in an oversize tshirt over their clothes. If you buy a canvas you can have a cute handprint/ footprint keepsake.

You can use shaving cream or pudding for a fun twist.

Cook with your child. Make easy things like pudding. You can put instant pudding in a jar with milk and put the lid on tight. Then you take turns shaking it up.

You can also make butter with a small glass baby food jar and a glass marble. Put in heavy cream and the marble. Screw it on tight and shake it!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,490,733 times
We go to the library one evening every oher week. My kids have loved that since they were babies. We check out a few books, play with the puzzles and toys there, and sit and read.

Most other nights we go for a walk. My 2 1/2 year old could walk 2 miles without any problems. I loved that chance to talk to him about everything (and it's a great learning experience too - identifying colors, counting, letters, etc), and he was learning that exercise is fun

Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
We would put on music and dance. When she was a little bit older we played a "guess what animal I am?" game where we took turns pretending to be different animals and guessing what we were. We played other pretend games like "restaurant," "doctor's office" and "vet's office."

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

215 posts, read 260,316 times
Great ideas, noting them down. Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post

After not seeing you all day I'm sure he just wants to relax & spend time together. I would imagine that daycare is noisy & not a relaxing place, so just doing something quiet with him would seem beneficial.
Well said. I should definitely relax with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting