Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times

Advertisements

The library is a great idea. My son LOVES going and 'trading' books for new ones. A bike trailer was also great at that age. My son loved to have a snack and flip through a book while we got some exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisnjh View Post
Just wish to note that riding scooters may or may not be a good choice, but I trust the OP to be able to judge for him/herself.

Why wouldn't a scooter be a good idea? Both my kids loved them at 2.5. Ya know the Radio Flyer plastic ones that the kids push with their feet. To each their own I guess.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
We bought one of those three sweater covered swings. It was so relaxing to gently rock her while someone blew bubbles or we listened to music.

Our child loved playing with the hose and an umbrella. She would sing " rain rain go away" and " rub a dub dub" while I squirted her with the hose. Then she would water the potted plants.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 PM

119 posts, read 546,166 times
A couple more fun things

We made a (cheap plastic) sensory container full of colored rice (one cup rice, food coloring - or those icing coloring gels to what suits you, up to a couple tablespoons of water - mix it up in a cup or plastic baggie and let it dry for a couple hours, repeat for the colors you want) a five or ten pound cheap bag of rice will let you do many colors (and keep some uncolored to brighten the mix. Let your kid dump them in the container and mix it up to make a rainbow, just make sure your container has a lid. Our son is younger than your daughter but loves just playing with it (scooping with hands and shovels, using old herbs or sprinkles containers, having his hands or feet buried in it) and often we "hide" a set of chunky puzzle pieces in there for him to find and then put into their puzzle, though you could do "treasure hunts" with any number of things. Cheap, nontoxic, fun, and easy to vacuum up any spills.

Also fun and easy - on a sidewalk or driveway, especially during the summer when it's hot, using big cheap paintbrushes and a bucket of water to "paint." Especially fun to do this over chalk so the colors are intense. This one entertains all the neighbor kids so make sure to get a bunch of paintbrushes from the dollar store or someplace similar. It also is fun to practice writing with, so you show how to draw a letter or number and have them try to copy you.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I assume that at daycare they are teaching your daughter colors, numbers, etc. If so I would try to make the time with my child less educational and more relaxing or fun. You could play dress-up, have a tea party, take a walk, take a warm bubble bath together, sing and dance together, make a Father's Day Present for her dad, play with clay or paint, build something with duplo legos or such, or cuddle and read.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
The best thing to do with someone that age is to follow their lead. If they want to go for a walk, ask them which way to go, let them tell you "that way" and then go that way. If they want to go to the park, then the park is where to go. Or if they want to blow bubbles, it's time to blow bubbles. They're pretty fun to hang out with at that age, they have interesting ideas.

What's funny about them, they can already be in a rut. You can walk every day with them, ask the every time which way, and certain kids will always want to go in one set direction. If you say "how about going this way this time", you may get a firm "no -- THAT WAY. They might enjoy the sameness, realizing that the same trees are still there, the same cat staring out the window, or maybe they discover new things each time they take a route.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 PM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
If she is already tired from things earlier in the day like the park, playing, etc then we relax. We lay in bed together and read books, play ipad games, and right at bed time I put a movie or show on for her on the Ipad, while I put a "boring mama show" on the tv. This settles her down fast and before long she is asking to lay down and cuddle to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting