Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 AM

741 posts, read 1,751,487 times

Advertisements

As the breast milk started coming, and the breast got softer... we did not had the lactation consultant visit us as originally planned.

Now the problem is the baby started liking the easy way... formula milk over the breast milk... since he don't want to put effort in sucking... Also my wife's pain due to incision compounds the problem as she was not able to force him with breast milk

Also if the baby is half hungry, he seems to be ok with sucking breast milk for few minutes but if he is really hungry, he cries so hard that we have to go back to formula 1 feeding bottle

My wife is also trying to use electric breast pump, whenever her breast milk starts flowing automatically

We were wondering if it would be fine to mix the breast pumped milk with formula 1 milk and give it to the baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
As the breast milk started coming, and the breast got softer... we did not had the lactation consultant visit us as originally planned.

Now the problem is the baby started liking the easy way... formula milk over the breast milk... since he don't want to put effort in sucking... Also my wife's pain due to incision compounds the problem as she was not able to force him with breast milk

Also if the baby is half hungry, he seems to be ok with sucking breast milk for few minutes but if he is really hungry, he cries so hard that we have to go back to formula 1 feeding bottle

My wife is also trying to use electric breast pump, whenever her breast milk starts flowing automatically

We were wondering if it would be fine to mix the breast pumped milk with formula 1 milk and give it to the baby
As your wife can probably attest to, expressed breastmilk is a precious commodity. If you mix it with formula, chances are good that it's going to end up wasted. If you mix 4 oz of BM with 4oz of formula, and the baby only drinks 2-4 oz, all of that breastmilk left over in the mix goes down the drain because you can't keep formula for a later feeding, whereas if it's pure breastmilk, it can safely be returned to the fridge for the next feed.

Feed the baby the expressed milk first and then if they're still hungry, make up some formula. I know it's more work and more dirty bottles, but the adage of not crying over spilled milk does not apply to breastmilk!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I agree with the above. I"d say more, but you've already gotten too much advice!

I also say, I give you guys an "A" for effort!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Quote:
Couple of days back my wife delivered the baby through C-Section in her 40th week (39 week and 1 day) of pregnancy, after her induced labor failed. Doctor recommended the induced labor since she had gestational Diabetes.

She is trying to breast feed but unable to do so. So we are giving currently Similac for the baby.
Looks like her breast is very hard and has milk but the baby is not able to suck the milk.
We tried a manual breast pump and that is also not working.

My wife is really worried that she is not able to feed breast milk to the baby.

Please advice if you or your loved ones had this issue and how you overcame it.
I had a c-section with my son (15 years ago), and I had planned to breast feed him. But he just wouldn't latch on, and I was in agony from the surgery. I had a dear friend of mine (who was a huge breast feeding advocate) who tried to help me. But I wasn't able to produce enough milk. So my son became a bottle fed baby. I was sad for a bit. But in the end, it's all about making sure your baby (and wife) are healthy, and thriving.

Also, my daughter was adopted at birth (9 years ago). She was a bottle fed baby. Perfectly healthy and wonderful.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,751,487 times
Given that

1. We are giving only pumped breast milk (say max 5 ounces per day or 20% of daily
consumptions) through bottle feeding and the rest through baby formula...
2. We did not had the lactation consultant visit us
3. My wife is still in pain in forcing the baby direct breastfeeding
4. Baby is very intolerant when hungry and simply happy with the easy way of bottle feeding

Should me and my wife still seek the help of lactation consultant to have the baby directly breast feed and not rely on formula milk?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Given that

1. We are giving only pumped breast milk (say max 5 ounces per day or 20% of daily
consumptions) through bottle feeding and the rest through baby formula...
2. We did not had the lactation consultant visit us
3. My wife is still in pain in forcing the baby direct breastfeeding
4. Baby is very intolerant when hungry and simply happy with the easy way of bottle feeding

Should me and my wife still seek the help of lactation consultant to have the baby directly breast feed and not rely on formula milk?
If your wife wants to try, then yes. It may be something as simple as an incorrect latch that the lactation consultant can show your wife how to correct.

Basically, it won't hurt to talk to them.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
If your wife wants to try, then yes. It may be something as simple as an incorrect latch that the lactation consultant can show your wife how to correct.

Basically, it won't hurt to talk to them.
Agreed.

It may make your wife feel better also. And if the baby still only wants to take the breast milk from the bottle, that's ok too.

At that point she will have tried everything at her disposal. The main thing is that the baby is still getting breast milk.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Agreed.

It may make your wife feel better also. And if the baby still only wants to take the breast milk from the bottle, that's ok too.

At that point she will have tried everything at her disposal. The main thing is that the baby is still getting breast milk.
No, the main thing is that your baby is getting fed.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
No, the main thing is that your baby is getting fed.
Lol. Yes, that's true for the baby. I should say the main thing for mom is that the baby is still getting breast milk. That's super important to moms intent on breast feeding.

My daughter's pump came in and she is so much more confident with pumping and seeing that the baby is getting enough and it's her milk rather than formula.

With my first I didn't breast feed. With my twins I did and felt very strongly about doing so. It was impossible for me to feed them both at the same time. Then came the pump. I was able to feed one and give the other the bottle of milk.

His wife will feel better if the baby gets her milk. The baby doesn't care as long as he or she is fed.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I had a c-section with my son (15 years ago), and I had planned to breast feed him. But he just wouldn't latch on, and I was in agony from the surgery. I had a dear friend of mine (who was a huge breast feeding advocate) who tried to help me. But I wasn't able to produce enough milk. So my son became a bottle fed baby. I was sad for a bit. But in the end, it's all about making sure your baby (and wife) are healthy, and thriving. )
Yep.

Parents make plans, then the baby comes along, and parents do what they have to do to feed the baby.

Clinging to preconceived ideas only stresses out new parents. Babies who have only formula or eat via a bottle do fine. Feed the baby the way the baby wants to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting