Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM

166 posts, read 260,160 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first thread here and it's based on pure curiosity. I come from a lower class background but have worked hard and paid my own way through college and now live comfortably. It comes as a surprise to me to hear many of my coworkers/acquaintances (majority white btw) tell me how their parents have or still are helping them pay for their rent and other living expenses. And i dont mean 18 - 22 year olds who are still in school. I mean 25-30 year olds who live in nicer neighborhoods and are eating out or drinking at bars very often. It is such a foreign concept for to me understand being an adult and living a carefree lifestyle while still depending on your parent's help.

So my question is, how old were you when your parents finally cut you off? And how much help did they provide? All rent and bills? I'm not asking so that I can turn around and judge people. I simply want to understand something that is not common to me. Maybe this is the norm and i'm the exception.

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,949,566 times
I know there is a vast sense of difference on this. Some parents can't help, some cut their kids off at 18 or 21. I was mostly self sufficient around 21 or so but my parents still paid for some major things when I needed it. They also helped me with my house and provided large presents like new carpeting or such things over the years. They could afford it. I in turn am helping my son. I pay for some things but he pays for others as he until recently did not have a full time job. The idea is that he would have a glide path to self sufficiency. The job market is poor and many people are moving back in with parents. Now that he has a job I will expect he will gradually assume paying for more things. I figure I only have one child and when I go he will get my money anyway. So why not help him. He is very frugal and does not spend lavishly on anything. I would cut him off if I saw him doing foolish things with money.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM

498 posts, read 725,491 times
It's sort of their own personal business and between them and their parents. I don't get why people seem to get offended by this. Once you're out of HS parents shouldn't feel obligated to support their kids financially, but if they want to then it's their own business.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
My parents paid my deposit on my room in student digs when I left for University at nearly 19 years old. After that they haven't helped with any bills and I wouldn't expect them to, thats just a bit weird really. I know they would let me move back in with them if I needed and they would help out in an emergency but to just pay my bills would never cross their minds or mine.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM

22,603 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post

So my question is, how old were you when your parents finally cut you off? And how much help did they provide? All rent and bills?
I was 19. I got myself through college and took nothing from them except birthday and Christmas gifts.
Similarly for my husband.

We helped our kids a bit until they were through college. Then they were off the payroll!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
was 17 when I left home with 85$ in my pack...I never asked for, nor received any help from that point on.
I think that once the kids have left home it's up to them to make ends meet. Sure you can help them out occasionally, or you can lend them some money, but they aught not to expect it...I can't imagine living elsewhere and expecting my parents to pay my bills...that seems bizarre to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
Undergrad years, we are paying all the bills, but not unlimited, as they have a budget to live within. We also paid all the expenses, except tuition for the one who has completed grad school.

Two will graduated college in May, and one has a job lined up so he'll be self-supporting. The other is taking a year to do research before grad school, so it will be a few years yet until we remove him from all support.

Some things just make sense to pay as a family, such as insurance and cell phones.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Hello,

This is my first thread here and it's based on pure curiosity. I come from a lower class background but have worked hard and paid my own way through college and now live comfortably. It comes as a surprise to me to hear many of my coworkers/acquaintances (majority white btw) tell me how their parents have or still are helping them pay for their rent and other living expenses. And i dont mean 18 - 22 year olds who are still in school. I mean 25-30 year olds who live in nicer neighborhoods and are eating out or drinking at bars very often. It is such a foreign concept for to me understand being an adult and living a carefree lifestyle while still depending on your parent's help.

So my question is, how old were you when your parents finally cut you off? And how much help did they provide? All rent and bills? I'm not asking so that I can turn around and judge people. I simply want to understand something that is not common to me. Maybe this is the norm and i'm the exception.

Thanks.
Many, maybe even most, wealthy families will provide for their children indefinitely. Usually in the form of a trust with yearly allowances. I know my father set up ones for all of his children and we were only upper middle class not wealthy. His parents did not give trusts (except to him) but rather a yearly allowance for his sisters and did things like cover major purchases for most of the family.

As for my immediate family we are more middle middle class due to the fact that we have chosen careers with much lower salaries (teaching/research and engineering). But my own daughter has a smaller trust of her own as well which she gets paid from yearly, or more often as needed. If she is careful with it she will be able to use it forever.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Upon my marriage at age 20.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Quote:
Hello,

Ummmm...ahhhhh...what?

I went to work at the age of 11. At that point, I was expected to pay a portion of my income to my parent(s) to contribute to the costs of the household, as well as to remove certain expenses from the household budget (such as clothes and shoes) by buying my own. I did not get ferried to school/work- I walked or rode a bicycle until, at 15 and working full-time in a garage, I bought my own car (which I drove despite not being old enough to comply with certain little formalities such as a license, registration and insurance).

I and my siblings were expected to go to work and contribute to the household until we set off on our own....which we did just as soon as we were damn well able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.