Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It does not feel weird (I don't feel mine at all once it's in place) and there is no leakage, given the cup fits properly (two sizes are available). I rarely have to change mine more than twice day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I rinse it out in the shower when I bathe. (Have no fear, menstrual blood is fairly thick, so it doesn't splash.) If I must empty my cup during the day, I tip the contents into the toilet, reinsert it, and then wash my hands as usual after using the facilities. A Diva Cup is no more disgusting to handle than a used tampon or pad -- I find it much less so -- and it is completely odor-free. Plus, although it was a bit of an investment up front (~$35), it has saved me a bundle in disposable products over the last few years.
Thanks for sharing. It has to be more disgusting than handling a tampon with an applicator or even changing a pad. It's possible to do those things without getting your hands a mess most of the time. I'm not interested in getting blood under my fingernails. You can't convince me that blood doesn't get under your fingernails when you're removing and/or inserting it. That's one of the main reasons I won't use the tampons that don't have an applicator. For people who can get past that, I can understand the attraction from a financial and environmental standpoint, but those two advantages would definitely be a hard sell to a young teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,463,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for sharing. It has to be more disgusting than handling a tampon with an applicator or even changing a pad. It's possible to do those things without getting your hands a mess most of the time. I'm not interested in getting blood under my fingernails. You can't convince me that blood doesn't get under your fingernails when you're removing and/or inserting it. That's one of the main reasons I won't use the tampons that don't have an applicator. For people who can get past that, I can understand the attraction from a financial and environmental standpoint, but those two advantages would definitely be a hard sell to a young teenager.
The menstrual fluid is contained in the cup, so it's really not a huge problem. In any case, that's why I wash my hands.

I understand that the idea of a menstrual cup is strange to women who've spent years using disposable products, which is why I thought I'd share my positive experience making the transition. Perhaps there's somebody reading who's always been intrigued by the cup but has been afraid to try it. If so, I would encourage her to give it a shot. I'm a complete convert. I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy one!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times
just found out my oldest daughter uses Diva Cup and she loves it. I never heard of it before this thread. I went thru menopause 20 years ago and have not talked to any women about these things in ages.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
just found out my oldest daughter uses Diva Cup and she loves it. I never heard of it before this thread. I went thru menopause 20 years ago and have not talked to any women about these things in ages.
How funny!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,196,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
The other important item for us was / is a box of baby wipes. I get ones called "One and Done" (can't remember the brand). They are larger and thicker than average wipes.
Those are made by Huggies. I use them at work, and they are definitely superior to average baby wipes.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In hindsight, I wish I'd bought a menstrual cup for my daughter when she hit menarche and told her it was available when she was ready to move on from sanitary pads, but I was still struggling with my own misgivings about using one. Oh well.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM

13,460 posts, read 15,611,632 times
Ah....as the parent of two girls, this topic interests me very much

Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The menstrual fluid is contained in the cup, so it's really not a huge problem. In any case, that's why I wash my hands.

I understand that the idea of a menstrual cup is strange to women who've spent years using disposable products, which is why I thought I'd share my positive experience making the transition. Perhaps there's somebody reading who's always been intrigued by the cup but has been afraid to try it. If so, I would encourage her to give it a shot. I'm a complete convert. I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy one!
This is tempting. I heard about the cup a few years back but was afraid to try it. I wasn't convinced that it wouldn't leak on me.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
I'd make the cup available as an option, but I wouldn't make it the only option to pads. Girls deserve to make these decisions for themselves.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM

5,990 posts, read 6,844,890 times
Wow, learned something new. Never had heard of the Diva Cup. I certainly would have used this - no longer any need. I cannot see my daughter using this, but I'll tell her about it.

Both my daughter and my niece went straight to tampons at the start. I started daughter with the Tampax Pearls because the plastic applicator, with a dab of KY gel, is the easiest to insert. I despised pads, was so happy when I finally defied my mother and started using tampons in my mid teens.

On average, it will take about two years from first sign of breast budding until menstruation occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting