Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 30,578 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, and I own my own car. Its fully paid off. I own it outright. it's titled and registered to me only. earlier today I misplaced my car key, and spoke with my grandma about what to do. and she told me that my mother had a spare key. which I didn’t know about. so, I called and asked her for the key. I told her I probably locked it in the trunk, and when she got home she unlocked the car for me but it wasn’t there. long story short is that she adamantly –refuses- to give me the spare key, and i'm literally unable to get into my car at all. I know that if I were an adult, she’s completely in the wrong, but im only 17. can she refuse to hand over the spare? she is in no way related to my car, the title, or registration. I don’t want to get the police or anybody like that involved but she is absolutely ridiculous and will not hand it over. I cant use my car at all, and this is just a joke. It’s a base Milan, and the key is the only way to get in. ive been at her for about 2 hours now demanding my key, and it is absolutely impossible for me to get it unless I were to get violent. and im not that stupid.

if she can take my key, then she can take my car as well. (legally). surely there has to be some sort of act or protection that I would fall under preventing her from taking anything this substansial and expensive I own. whats to stop her from taking my car for herself when im 17 years and 364days old? which is July 13th this year.

I know some of you may think that I should respect my mother, and not question her. but, I only started living with her three years ago, and we dont have the typical mother-son relationship. so, i'd appreciate leaving personal ideas out. i'm only interested in the legal aspect of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
First, you're a minor. She can do what she wants. She's more than likely trying to teach you a lesson about responsibility. Your best bet? Find your key!

Second, you say the car is titled and registered to you. That means you're under your own insurance (NOT a tag-along on your parents)???

Keep in mind, you're a minor and, if you have an accident and kill someone, your parents are going to be the ones responsible, not you. They can lose their home, their savings, etc. even if there is insurance on the vehicle (insurance only covers a certain amount)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Why not ask her why she doesn't want to let you make a copy of her key or whatever so you get your key back or have a new one? Then go from there.

Other than that unless she starts driving your car I doubt the police can get involved, and even then you'd have to report it as a car theft. While having the key or making a copy without your permission might technically be illegal it'd just be your word against hers, and a jury will just see you as some punk kid.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
What is her reason for not wanting to give you the key?

I think it's better to try and resolve things peacefully if possible. Can you ask her to accompany you to a store so you can get a duplicate of the key made?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
So petty.
it amazes me.

If she were trying to "teach you a lesson" as some have suggested then she should say "I am trying to teach you a lesson".

Mind you it seems to me that what is being taught is a lesson in motherly petty bichiness

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You want this to be a discussion about your legal rights, but you don't want to call the police?

I can assure you that your mother can not take your car. It doesn't matter that you are under 18. It's your property. If she takes it, it's theft and you can call the police.

On July 13th, when you turn 18, you can legally demand your keys be returned to you. Until then, she can hold the keys----but she can't take your car. If she drives it or it disappears, you can call the police and report it stolen. As long as it's sitting in your driveway or wherever it's located right now, there's nothing you can do until you turn 18.

Your only other options are to 1) find your original key; 2) have the dealership make you a new key; 3) have a locksmith change the locks. Of course, options 2 and 3 will cost you money.

Anyway, we can't provide much more information without knowing what state you live because laws vary state to state.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Call a locksmith or call a car dealer that sells that make of car and they may be able to help you get a duplicate key. I'd try the car dealer first. It may cost money, but if you own the car on your own, you should be able to afford this as well.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
You can just go to a ace hardware and tell them the make and yr of the car see if there is a copy. If not you can go to the dealer.
or-
http://www.ehow.com/how_4830847_make...-original.html

Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ti0ZXA&cad=rja
About minors owning cars.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 30,578 times
i dont like giving a lot of personal info, but my mother and grandma are like fire and gas together. i originally bought the car from my mother in April this year, but she found out that my grandma helped me pay for a huge part of it. so, thats some of why shes acting like she is. and she has a criminal history. im trying to look for a way to get my key back without getting her in any more trouble.

a few miniutes ago she just told me that she's depositing the spare into her bank safe deposit box tomorrow morning

and, i live in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting