Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 77,229 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,766,982 times
In addition to the phone calls...try something where he can see your face (like Skype). That way he can associate your face to your voice. He sounds like he might be person shy (my daughter is like that - talkative on the phone, but not so much face-to-face) and his mom is his security. Please try and remember that he is only 2 - barely more than a baby really. The world in general can be a very scary place for such little people. Keep a smile on your face, keep trying...and don't ever voice any of your frustration to his mother. Very soon he will realize that there are many more people out there and become more adventurous (and more willing to leave the security of mom's arms).

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM

He's also clingy because his mother lets him be clingy and does not encourage him to be independent.

She called us one day and told us that we would have to take off our shoes because my nephew was learning how to crawl and she did not want him to get germs.

And we've held him before with no problems.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,245,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmua View Post
He's also clingy because his mother lets him be clingy and does not encourage him to be independent.
He's 2. I'm sure you all still realize that he still feels like a baby to her, right? I look back at pictures at age 2 and I feel he was just a baby. It's not your place to decide what is right independence or dependence or not. You see him four times a year, it's presumptuous to decide that you know better for him than his own mother does. Phone and occasional visits do not mean familiarity to most 2 year olds.

Is this your sister?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM

There is always the possibility of course, that she just doesn't feel like bringing him around you because she knows you guys are judging her parenting. I don't know if you have children or not but it's one of the worst feelings in the world, so it's easier to just avoid those family members then dealing with eyeball criticism. She might just not want to be around you guys and is doing 4x a year as a favour.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM

And my brother who sees him a lot more mentioned that my nephew would even be upset if he picked him up.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
There is always the possibility of course, that she just doesn't feel like bringing him around you because she knows you guys are judging her parenting. I don't know if you have children or not but it's one of the worst feelings in the world, so it's easier to just avoid those family members then dealing with eyeball criticism. She might just not want to be around you guys and is doing 4x a year as a favour.
We've never judged her parenting, ever.

That's not the problem, She constantly calls her father and talks to him.

We only go 4 times a year because we are busy with work as are they and we live an hour and a half away.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM

[quote=aliss2;32842611]He's 2. I'm sure you all still realize that he still feels like a baby to her, right? I look back at pictures at age 2 and I feel he was just a baby. It's not your place to decide what is right independence or dependence or not. You see him four times a year, it's presumptuous to decide that you know better for him than his own mother does. Phone and occasional visits do not mean familiarity to most 2 year olds.

Is this your sister?[/QUOTE]

yes

Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmua View Post
This is criticism of her parenting, and if at any point she senses that you believe this, you better believe she will be offended and not encourage more interaction.

Some parents would agree with you - others would argue that he is barely a baby still and independence comes with age. Remember, all children are different - I have an almost 2 year old who behaves in the same manner as your nephew. I have a three year old who could be passed around to any stranger from birth, and tells me to go away because he prefers his grandfather. Children are just like adults - some more sensitive than others - and she feels you are disrespecting that, then she will avoid further interaction.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
This is criticism of her parenting, and if at any point she senses that you believe this, you better believe she will be offended and not encourage more interaction.

Some parents would agree with you - others would argue that he is barely a baby still and independence comes with age. Remember, all children are different - I have an almost 2 year old who behaves in the same manner as your nephew. I have a three year old who could be passed around to any stranger from birth, and tells me to go away because he prefers his grandfather. Children are just like adults - some more sensitive than others - and she feels you are disrespecting that, then she will avoid further interaction.
How would she be able to sense this if we never voice our opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting