Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM

373 posts, read 591,224 times

Advertisements

Oh, for Petesakes, leave the kid alone. He probably feels awful. This is where Mom cooks him up his favorite meal and earns that "Mom" title.

The rest of the world is out to screw him. Don't be part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,941,948 times
- no punishment / fine
- see what a body shop says - I bet a large amount they can fix it without replacement. Next time he will be sure to be more careful.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,742,315 times
People make mistakes when they are new at something. Having a new driver is all about assessing and managing risk. You want the mistakes to be minor, inexpensive, and without injury. You don't want the mistakes to involve deaths, expensive lawsuits, or massive property damage.

Have it fixed and move on. So he made a little error at low speed in close quarters. He wasn't texting, he wasn't drunk, and he wasn't reckless. Stuff happens.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,459,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofson View Post
My son has had his license for about 10 months and has never had any tickets, never been pulled over, and has never been in involved in any accidents....until today. He went to Target to buy me some stuff, and returned home. In between the two parking spaces my husband and I own is a stone pillar. Today the parking space adjacent to mine had a minivan in it, making it a tight squeeze for parking. Unfortunately, my son turned too late and hit the pole. The car is fine, but has a 3-inch-wide dent and some small strips of paint were scratched off. I'm afraid I might have to replace the whole bumper for almost a grand..... Should I give him a warning this time, and make him pay in full for the next accident (hopefully there will NOT be another accident in the forseeable future!!), or make him pay me the sum it costs for the bumper? Thanks!
For myself, I would give him a warning in this situation. It is something small that happened and it wasn't a major fender bender that he caused.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM

14,480 posts, read 14,446,908 times
My advice? Its all part of learning how to drive. I dinged cars learning. My son dinged a car learning how to drive. My wife still dings cars after 35 years of driving.

No one is perfect. Its all part of a process. Don't charge him for it.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,903,650 times
I agree with everyone else on both points - cost to repair and punishment.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,932,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Are you serious?

He's still learning. It was an accident. That means that he didn't intentionally do it. Give him a break. It's your own son for goodness' sake.
I agree, when it comes to our kids money isn't more important than them. Let it go and chalk it up to experience. I have no tickets, don't speed, obey the laws, but about a year ago I was backing out of a spot in a shopping center and backed into another guy who was also backing up. Things happen when two objects try to occupy the same space.

Don

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,993,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you REALLY need to replace the bumper?
My thoughts exactly.
Superficial aesthetic reasons are the only reasons for fixing it.

And your normally great 17 year old with no previous accidents put a ding in the car,
Make him help pay if you have to fix it but seriously, if the functionality of the car is ok there is no reason to go get a ding out.

Go easy on him, he's less than a year from 18 no one punishes adults for this type of thing. Have him pay a little and be done with it. If you have insurance have him pay the deductible.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM

100,081 posts, read 4,512,791 times
I've done the same thing as a teenager AND as a 58 year old.

I'm sure he feels bad about it. Give him a break and let it go, Mom.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

24 posts, read 32,089 times
I'm honestly shocked that you're even considering making a big deal of this!

Seriously? If you love your car that much, you shouldn't have your teen driving it.

You're considering billing your own child a thousand dollars.... to remove a SPOT on a part of your car that has ZERO impact on any part of its functionality? It might be an issue if he blew your tire and drove on the rim... or shattered a window. Those things actually cause problems. But a BUMP on the BUMPER? You're being ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting