Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,858,769 times

Advertisements

I have no damn idea what's going to happen with them. I mean, I'm busting my neck to equip them with everything they need... a good education, solid relationships with family and friends, good influences, knowing right from wrong, etc... but in the end I have no clue if I'm getting it all right and what they will do with the opportunities provided. When y'all crack the code be sure to let me know. Heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,614,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I have no damn idea what's going to happen with them. I mean, I'm busting my neck to equip them with everything they need... a good education, solid relationships with family and friends, good influences, knowing right from wrong, etc... but in the end I have no clue if I'm getting it all right and what they will do with the opportunities provided. When y'all crack the code be sure to let me know. Heh.
And this is an honest answer and really, all you can do. Because, the fact of the matter is, our kids are individuals, with their own character, dreams and drive. Some of that is just who they are, not how they were parented. I've known kids with every conceivable opportunity and advantage, screw up or end up very average; and I've known kids who, by every measurable notion, have succeeded far beyond anyone's belief.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,721,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Will your child be successful because of the school they went to?

Will your child be successful because of your parental involvement along the way?

Will your child be successful due to good genetics?

Will your child be successful because they hung out with the right crowd?

I know everyone will have a different definition of success but it seems some put a lot of emphasis on one certain factor.

I think peers would be first and that includes their school. Fortunately, parents can influence their child's peers by moving to the right neighborhood.

Involved parents and genetics can go both ways. Every day I see kids who could be very capable floundering because they have parents who coddle them. For them, genetics isn't going to matter because their parents are standing in the way of them using what God gave them.

If I had to bet on one thing, I'd bet on living in the right neighborhood. I WISH I'd realized how important that was when I was choosing where to live. Unfortunately, back then I thought parenting and genetics would determine my children's fate. I am finding both as a parent and a teacher that peers matter more than parents or genetics.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,486,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
All of the above.
Another "all of the above"; and we'll never know the proportions.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Here in Jersey people OBSESS over the freaking schools. I always believe that parenting > schools (unless the schools are so rough that learning is hindered by gangs, thugs, and parents that don't care in the majority of the population)

I went to a top tier school when I was a youngster. My wife went to school in a poor area of NJ. She is more successful than me.
A certain crowd obsesses over schools everywhere, not just in NJ.
What happened to you and your wife says nothing. More often than not, it's the other way around.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think peers would be first and that includes their school. Fortunately, parents can influence their child's peers by moving to the right neighborhood.

Involved parents and genetics can go both ways. Every day I see kids who could be very capable floundering because they have parents who coddle them. For them, genetics isn't going to matter because their parents are standing in the way of them using what God gave them.

If I had to bet on one thing, I'd bet on living in the right neighborhood. I WISH I'd realized how important that was when I was choosing where to live. Unfortunately, back then I thought parenting and genetics would determine my children's fate. I am finding both as a parent and a teacher that peers matter more than parents or genetics.
I myself am a firm believer in the influence of peers. It is devilish how strong it can be.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 PM

448 posts, read 749,244 times
I think later in life as a working adult it's important to surround yourself with "successful people" if that is what you are after.

In childhood I'm not sure you can measure the outcome. As parents we like to think we can manipulate the outcome but we can only give them values and opportunities to explore.

Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that is measured matters....Thomas Edison

Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,804,220 times
all we can do as parents is hope after we have given it our best. if your kids are living a independent, self sufficient life and happy, then that's success.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 AM

693 posts, read 1,145,547 times
Any of them have the potential to bring a child to his best or worst.

Life is a journey, prepare your children the best you can and leave the rest to fate.

Some of the most $$$ successful people I know had very difficult teen years and werent generating "honor roll" bumper stickers for their parents.

If I had to think of one thing that is "controllable" it would be the ability for parents to consistently set good examples of honesty, compassion, integrity and self worth even if its not being visibly received by the child, trust me, it is registering for future reference!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,245,196 times
Lightbulb Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
GRIT determines a great deal of success. This is worth the few minutes to watch.

What matters for a child's future isn't IQ. It's this.

I will pass this along to friends who are in education. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting