Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM

384 posts, read 596,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
We have read quite a bit by Andrew Clements (No Talking, Frindle, Trouble Maker, Report Card, and the entire Jake Drake series). Judy Blume is read to death (Freckle Juice and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing are his favorites).
When your son grows a bit older, buy him Blume's book "Then again, maybe I won't". One of my favorites from Blume, it talks about the struggles that teenage boys go through as they go through puberty and grow up (such as friends shoplifting, who eventually is arrested) and provides a very real look at growing up in suburban NYC.
(On a side note, Blume is an acclaimed children and young adult author who is highly against censorship.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,300,120 times
As he likes animal books I'd recommend the Willard Price Adventure series of books. Quite old but I loved them at that age.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM

95 posts, read 395,727 times
Actually my son liked that book and the Dear Dumb Diary books.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,631,076 times
OP if your son has a Kindle, this book is free. It was the most popular children's book where I grew up, and is a great book for animal lovers:

Jock of the Bushveld

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,642,136 times
When they get in a rut like that try reading to him each night from a book that he wouldn't normally go for. A chapter or two each time from some of the classic kids' books might pique his interest in other types of literature apart from the standard Diary of a Wimpy Kid-type reading. Little House on the Prairie, Railway Children, Old Yeller, Misty of Chincoteague, Amos Fortune Free Man and the like.

Being read to is an age-old pleasure and I know my grandchildren are especially intrigued when their dad does the reading.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,499,678 times
Have you tried turning him loose at the library to find something he might like? My kids love to explore the library and find something new. They've even inspired me to do the same thing - reach onto a shelf and grab a book I might normally overlook to see if I like it.

Sometimes the "random book" is a hit, and we want to read more of those kinds...and sometimes it is a miss and we don't finish it.

I'd also encourage nonfiction - it's not something a lot of kids would normally read for fun on their own, but mine have been surprised how much they like it.

For fiction - how about The Hardy Boys series?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 PM

95 posts, read 395,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Have you tried turning him loose at the library to find something he might like? My kids love to explore the library and find something new. They've even inspired me to do the same thing - reach onto a shelf and grab a book I might normally overlook to see if I like it.

Sometimes the "random book" is a hit, and we want to read more of those kinds...and sometimes it is a miss and we don't finish it.

I'd also encourage nonfiction - it's not something a lot of kids would normally read for fun on their own, but mine have been surprised how much they like it.

For fiction - how about The Hardy Boys series?
We have been going to the library weekly since he was a baby. He likes the library and often trolls different sections depending on his mood. He is in a rut where everything is a shrug. I like to pick a variety of topics based on seasons, activities, or just for fun. He loves poems by Langston Hughes, Shakespeare plays, plays, operas, and more.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,610,900 times
Quote:
I am looking for some recommendations from other parents on what to read next. My son reads in school and I read to him at home but he is stuck in a rut. He's in 4th grade, reads on a 6th grade level but insists on only reading 3rd grade books. For example in the last 3 days we read Zeek Meeks, Notebook of Doom, Guinea Dog, The School Mouse, and all the Bad Kitty books. I have tried to get him into other books but he never lasts through the book.

He likes humor most of all. Animal books comes in 2nd I think. He loves superhero movies, Star Wars, Lego, and Pokemon. I have tried many different books and we used to read a wider variety of books but now he is just so resistant to reading anything on his level.

What are 9-11 year olds reading now?
Kids that age used to love Silo (the book about the dog, I'm not sure I spelled correctly) and Narnia, if they could read them. Also Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Holes, Goosebumps. Maybe he just needs to find the right book to keep his attention.

Some good picture books he might like are The True Story of the Three Little Pigs; the Magic School Bus series, which goes from picture books to chapter books.

Does your school have a scholastic book fair? I always find the best books there (our library is kind of sad).

Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,631,076 times
Quote:
I like to pick a variety of topics
He's 9, why not let him talk to the librarian and pick books for himself? I suspect you're not telling us the whole story here.

And Langston Hughes at 9. Okay.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 12,002,989 times
Try Donald Sobol's "Encyclopedia Brown" series - each book contains a separate mystery in each (easy) chapter. Readers can try to figure out solutions from contextual clues, matching wits with boy detective Leroy "Encyclopedia" Brown, or can turn to the back of the book to see how Encyclopedia did it.

Has he read Robert McCloskey's "Homer Price" and its equally funny sequel, "Centerburg Tales"? Hilarious small-town adventures.

Beverly Cleary's "Henry Huggins" series is older, but is still great reading for kids this age.

And - get to know your local children's librarian, and ask for suggestions. Your library should have booklists as well as books about good books - "The Read-Aloud Handbook", by Jim Trelease, is also older, but excellent and works well for locating good books for independent reading as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting