Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,312,950 times

Advertisements

I'm not so keen on the idea of rewarding grades with money. My parents did it for our GCSEs (end of school exams at 16) and if we got below Cs we had to pay them so maybe one off for the really important end of school career exams or final grades when you finish school, I might do that, but not for normal grades throughout the school year. I'd rather my daughter tries her best because she wants to try her best, not because she wants some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,323,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
They do in my house. The only exception is if a lot of effort was put into it and it still resulted in a poor grade. I struggled with economics and pulled out a D but my parents were happy I passed the class. On the other hand if I'd gotten a D on an English test because I didn't read the book I'd have been grounded.
Do you also reward good grades? That's what I'm curious about-if it goes in both directions or one direction.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
I just had a parent teacher conference for my DD. The upshot was outstanding work habits, working well within a group, participate and engagement. Also was performance consistent with or exceeding standards for her grade. I came home, reported. The entire family clapped and cheered. She was so proud she could have busted!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,466,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Do you also reward good grades? That's what I'm curious about-if it goes in both directions or one direction.
My son doesn't get grades yet; he's still on Satisfactory and Not-satisfactory; but I do reward him for good days. A green days means you did what was expected of you; but a blue day means you put in extra effort. So he'll a reward for that.

At my job I get a bonus when I exceed the expectations that have been set for me but yet it doesn't undermine by motivation for wanting to be successful...I've never heard of people being unmotivated by being rewarded. Must be new parenting...kind of like new math.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
At my job I get a bonus when I exceed the expectations that have been set for me but yet it doesn't undermine by motivation for wanting to be successful...I've never heard of people being unmotivated by being rewarded. Must be new parenting...kind of like new math.
What happens if you don't get a bonus? The concern is not being unmotivated BY reward in a given instance but the reliance on reward as the SOURCE of the motivation over time as a base expectation. When the reward becomes a quid pro quo INSTEAD of the recognition of its value for itself.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
My son doesn't get grades yet; he's still on Satisfactory and Not-satisfactory; but I do reward him for good days. A green days means you did what was expected of you; but a blue day means you put in extra effort. So he'll a reward for that.

Me neither. For the colored days, do you put stickers on a calendar to mark the days? I think something like that would be nice. It's recognition for both doing what's expected and going above and beyond.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What happens if you don't get a bonus? The concern is not being unmotivated BY reward in a given instance but the reliance on reward as the SOURCE of the motivation over time as a base expectation. When the reward becomes a quid pro quo INSTEAD of the recognition of its value for itself.
I don't know how much that really plays into reality when the more successful people become the greater their rewards. I only got half a bonus a few years ago and that did motivate me to work smarter.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,466,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I jump off a bridge. What do you think happens? I clock out and go home.

Even if I don't get a bonus I still get my paycheck and then I just try harder to get my bonus next time it becomes available. I've always taken pride in doing a good job, the additional reward is just a nice acknowledgment that my boss acknowledges and appreciates the EXTRA effort. It's just like in school; there were some subjects where I pulled B's easily but I had to really work for an A. And if I missed the A by a few points, I had a plan for how to get it right the next semester.

As a child I was told everyone in our house has a job, my job was to do well in school and I got paid when I did well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Me neither. For the colored days, do you put stickers on a calendar to mark the days? I think something like that would be nice. It's recognition for both doing what's expected and going above and beyond.
Yeah it's comes home in his notebook and he matches the sticker to our wall calendar. He likes doing that more than the actual money, which he usually just stuffs in his piggy bank. One week he had blue everyday and the Smurfs happened to out that week so we had a Blue Weekend. Saw the movie, we made a blueberry dessert, dressed in all blue clothing; silly stuff but he liked that I was making a big deal out of his blue days. Same thing, different delivery.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 PM

13,466 posts, read 15,676,808 times
We reward our daughter at our discretion when she gets an excellent report card. While we expect her to always do her best, we like to show her that we recognize when she does really good work. For example, she made the school honor roll and her grades have been consistently 95 plus. She has yet to expect anything bc we don't always do it for everything.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah it's comes home in his notebook and he matches the sticker to our wall calendar. He likes doing that more than the actual money, which he usually just stuffs in his piggy bank. One week he had blue everyday and the Smurfs happened to out that week so we had a Blue Weekend. Saw the movie, we made a blueberry dessert, dressed in all blue clothing; silly stuff but he liked that I was making a big deal out of his blue days. Same thing, different delivery.
That's awesome. What a great idea. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting