Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
...When he gets denied something, such as a snack right before dinner time or dessert when he didn't finish his meal, he stomps his foot and angrily exclaims that he's mad and doesn't like me...
I would take MORE things away from him if he was acting like that.

Kind of like... If you don't like that, then let's have more of those situations for your pleasure - then you will get used to it!

Also I might have my wife or someone else take something away from me, then I would start stomping my feet, pouting, and acting like a baby. (This is what you look like when you do that!)

And the kid would not like that one bit! Would probably get a very mad look on his face. But he would be cured of that behavior with a quickness. (Might also get a smile on his face when dad does the stomping feet thing as it would look quite funny...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
He sounds a bit like my 5 year old nephew who is living in a traditional family situation (meaning both biological parents who are married to each other). I too think it is an anger management situation of a child testing boundaries and learning to adjust to new social situations.
Karate classes are good outlet for anger at that age, and it helps them learn to manage their emotions.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I would take MORE things away from him if he was acting like that.

Kind of like... If you don't like that, then let's have more of those situations for your pleasure - then you will get used to it!

Also I might have my wife or someone else take something away from me, then I would start stomping my feet, pouting, and acting like a baby. (This is what you look like when you do that!)

And the kid would not like that one bit! Would probably get a very mad look on his face. But he would be cured of that behavior with a quickness. (Might also get a smile on his face when dad does the stomping feet thing as it would look quite funny...)
What's wrong with kids being mad now and then? As long as they don't go overboard displaying it -- and this kid doesn't really seem to be going overboard. He's even going to his room himself -- so the parent doesn't have to do the time-out on him.

Anger is just another emotion that's okay to have. Everyone has probably broken something at least once from being angry -- you get frustrated with something not cooperating and push it too hard and snap! it broke. As long as he doesn't keep breaking things, that's normal.

I let my kids be mad. I don't change the rules because they're mad, but they can be mad. A lot of kids will try to get you to change the rules by telling you they don't like you --- but so what? The best thing is to respond that you love them but the answer is still no.

Little kids can be so angry one moment, an hour later they're fine. Or if they're overtired, they will be irrational but a little nap can have them back to sweet.

For this 5 year old, getting mad might be a fairly new emotion and he's just testing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting