Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,869,256 times

Advertisements

I remember hearing a story from my mom about how when i was 3 i didn't get something at the store and threw a world class tantrum. She proceeded to ignore me and walk around the next aisle until i stopped and ran to find her. Now i wouldn't do this for obvious safety reasons of which i told her. But how does everyone else deal with the dreaded tantrums. We don't give in to them of course....and first try to laugh at how silly they look. Often this does work for us anyway because they tend ti start laughing too. But if it progresses then it was always time outs in the corner or loss of a privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,202,340 times
If I'm in public, we leave. People in Target don't deserve to hear a kid throwing a fit any more than do the people in Bennigan's.

If I'm home, they go to their room. Either way, removal of their intended audience works wonders.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
In public or private, I simply stood there without any emotion whatsoever.

They quickly realized that there wasn't any purpose to temper tantrums. As a result, my children rarely had tantrums.

I believe they would have had more temper tantrums if I had made them leave the store.

Afterall, leaving the store would be giving them what they wanted, which would have encourage more temper tantrums.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,176,700 times
They are looking for a favorable response and giving in to their actions. Hopefully of getting what they want.
If they get the opposite of what they expect, they will learn that tantrums don't get them what they wanted.
They will eventualy learn honey gets better results than vinegar.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,869,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
They are looking for a favorable response and giving in to their actions. Hopefully of getting what they want.
If they get the opposite of what they expect, they will learn that tantrums don't get them what they wanted.
They will eventualy learn honey gets better results than vinegar.

I don't know i have some apple cider vinegar in a glass and it does wonder for getting the flies. hehehe

Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,808,387 times
I used to tell them to watch their head and not bang it and walk away.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
You could try this:

Cut out some stars from pieces of paper. Have your child (or if he is too young, you write) STAR on the front of the STAR and the words Stop, Think and Relax. On the back of the star, have him write or draw a picture of something that makes him happy or calms him down. When he feels an outburst coming on, he can go get a star and do the thing that helps him.

This comes from a board game you can get here:
Amazon.com: Stop, Relax & Think: A Game to Help Impulsive Children Think Before They Act: Becky Bridges: Books

Any technique to help with tantrums basically includes teaching your child self-calming. Becky Bailey teaches breathing to calm down in preschool classes.

http://www.beckybailey.com/disciptip.cfm?identifier=3 (broken link)

Some other self-calming techniques for kids

Self-Calming Techniques for Aggressive Children - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Self calming - Kids can do it too! - Wellsphere

Dorothy

Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,651 times
In public we only had to leave a store once. It was made clear that such behavior was not appropriate and we would limit our excursions not only to the store but to the park and the ice cream shop should such behavior show up again. We all have to do things we don't want to do...heck, I hate shopping so I certainly understand that kids don't like it but it still must be done. If we can't behave enough to go to the store we aren't going to go anywhere else either.
We tried not to take them out in prime melt down time...when they were tired or hungry or just had too long of a day, etc.

The kids didn't ask for a bunch of stuff but when they did we simply asked them if they had their money to buy it. I let them earn quarters by washing windows & baseboards, folding and putting away laundry, emptying trash cans...whatever little jobs were age appropriate. They never got in the habit of expecting something every time we went out.

Tantrums at home...DS didn't really have many. He gave himself time outs when he felt frustration coming on and he was very verbal so we could communicate more easily. DD was a bit rougher but consistent consequences and addressing the real issue instead of the tantrum seemed to help. We taught them a few calming techniques that I think helped as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,933,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I remember hearing a story from my mom about how when i was 3 i didn't get something at the store and threw a world class tantrum. She proceeded to ignore me and walk around the next aisle until i stopped and ran to find her. Now i wouldn't do this for obvious safety reasons of which i told her. But how does everyone else deal with the dreaded tantrums. We don't give in to them of course....and first try to laugh at how silly they look. Often this does work for us anyway because they tend ti start laughing too. But if it progresses then it was always time outs in the corner or loss of a privilege.
When we were outside of the house I would remove the child from the public space and let the tantrum run its natural course. At home we just ignored tantrums. When it had run its course I would aks the child "Are you ready to speak nicely to me now?" The tantrums decreased as the kids got more verbal and as they realized that they did not really get what they wanted from the tantrum.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM

556 posts, read 798,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post

I've done exactly that before. Just walked away! Sometimes I ignore it, sometimes I put them in their room, and on a rare occasion I might wack their butt. It depends on where we are and what the fit is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting