Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

HONG KONG, Sunday, Nov. 11 — The Chinese government announced late Saturday that it had confirmed the presence of poison on toy beads exported around the world, while in the United States, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said that seven more children had been sickened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/wo...l?ref=business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Even tho it's very difficult [totally impossible] I try VERY hard to NOT purchase anything made in china.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
I don't even buy toys anymore, but it's scary because even trinket items or learning materials are sometimes made in China. This is sad and scary.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
I'm not buying anything from China right now for sure... at least anything edible nor anything for my kids. It is difficult but doable to filter out such things. There's someone or multiple people "out there" trying to poison US children, that much is obvious right now. Why take a chance on buying something this holiday season made in China when the reality is that 99.9% of the goods imported to the US are not tested... and if they are tested it's only for one or two things.

Seriously folks... don't be stupid, let the Chinese Government and US retailers know you won't tolerate this crap by costing them money this holiday season. We'll see change for sure, but we just need to provide some encouragement since we're talking about huge quantities of goods and hundreds if not thousands of manufacturing facilities.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Even tho it's very difficult [totally impossible] I try VERY hard to NOT purchase anything made in china.
Me too; I sometimes leave a store empty-handed rather than purchase Chinese-made goods. I even went to some higher-end shops (Crate & Barrel, Williams-Sonoma) looking for kitchen gadgets NOT made in China....and struck out. I'm so SICK of this. I don't want Chinese-made goods touching anything that I put in my mouth. Who's to say they're any better with those than they are with childrens' toys?

I had to admit it but I may actually have to go on e-Bay to find some decent things NOT made in China. Luckily I have a nice set of flatware that I inherited from my grandmother that was made in the USA; otherwise I'd be eating with Chinese-made forks and spoons. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting