Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times

Advertisements

As the father of 6 and someone that has helped give baths I see showering as not something that the kids want to do. I see it as not very efficient to be in the shower with them. Kids like to take baths. They want to have a little fun in the tub. Part of the bath time for a kid is playing in the water. Take my 9 year old son. He has had maybe 2 or 3 showers in his young life. He does not want water pounding down on him. He prefers a bath. I see his point. I was taking baths till I was probably 10 or 11. I did not like showers at all back then. My son would take a bath a couple times a day if he could.

Our daughter is 6. She loves to take baths. She even has her bath toys, many of them are dolls that she plays with in the water. She does like having someone in the bathroom to talk to many times. As she is getting older though she is requesting her privacy while in the bath and I offer it willingly. She learned to wash her self by the time she was 4 and isn't that the point to helping out in the tub anyway? Kids need to learn to wash themselves. I don't see how getting in the tub with them helps out. I don't plan on being there in the tub with them when they are cleaning themselves. As far as washing her hair, that is something her mom does, although one night our little girl informed me that she did it herself. She needed help brushing it out. (Boys are so much easier in the hair department.)

The other kids are all 12 and older and have found that showers are the way to go. Then again with the younger kids still wanting baths, it is just so much easier to hit the shower and get out.

As for me, I would have thought it strange for anyone to get in the tub or shower with a child. Not that I am thinking any bad ideas of being in the tub or shower with your own kid, it just does not seem like the best way to get the kids clean. If your child is young and needs to have help bathing, I would think that they will also need help drying off, and getting dressed. How do you do that when you are in the same position? Would it not be easier to just be prepaired to help them out? Also, when you have more than one kid it would be much easier to get one bath out of the way and progress to the next bath.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Don't have baths here so shower is the only option once they outgrow the baby bath. Its not hard to clean them in a shower (well I imagine it could be in a cramped shower but we have open showers in wet rooms here rather than cubicle showers) so its really easy. My daughter plays with a bowl of water in the middle of the bathroom while I shower and then she comes in the shower and I wash her, and then she goes back to playing with the bowl of water while I dry and sort myself out, and then I dry her. Just as easy as a bath (easier in my opinion cos I get washed at the same time)

Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 AM

270 posts, read 592,917 times
At first I thought that is a joke. Really?? And he's wearing a bathing suit? For me as a European that's just weird. It's his child...why shouldn't they shower, bath or go to the sauna together? Without bathing suits.

My boys are 17months old and we often shower all together in the big walk in shower. Hubby, me and the kids. It's fun, safes time and we love it. When I grew up, my family and friends always went to the naturist beaches, like everybody else. I don't see the problem.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM

171 posts, read 311,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I think people make way too big of an issue of nudity.

Yeah I agree with that.

When my daughter turned around a year or so. I started changing behind the couch, behind the bed, around the corner. Daughter doesn't need to see a me naked, I'm usually Modest like that. Wife on the other hand. Changes in front of our 2.5 yr old daughter with no problem.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
What is the reason for all this modesty, anyway?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 AM

39 posts, read 152,614 times
I am glad I came across this forum. When my daughter was about 8 months I had left my daughter home with her father. I had bath and feed her so she was ok for the night. Well I come back about an hour later because I forgot something. Her father had her in the bath with him. He had her siting on his lap. Both were naked. and she was directly on his genital area I found that to be very odd!!! We had a argument and I ended our five year relationship and he went back home 1300 miles away. Moderator Cut My daughter is about to be 6 and I had a conversation via phone with her father about it and he swears he meant no harm. Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Please start a new thread about your specific situation.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
In my family, I have routinely taken showers together with my daughters, now age 4 and 7, since they were infants. I find it easier to wash them in the shower than in the tub, and I feel like it's easier to rinse them too. Sometimes they take baths together instead, but if we are in a rush, we usually go for a shower. They like to play in the shower by soaping up the walls and then dumping water over to clear off the soap.

My husband is not usually the one to bathe them, but he does sometimes when I am busy doing something else or not at home. Now that they are getting older, he feels less comfortable about being naked with them and will wear his bathing suit with the younger one, and he doesn't bathe together with the older one anymore. My 7yo has just recently started to be more modest about her body, and we respect that. I think it is just a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHvaris View Post
I am glad I came across this forum. When my daughter was about 8 months I had left my daughter home with her father. I had bath and feed her so she was ok for the night. Well I come back about an hour later because I forgot something. Her father had her in the bath with him. He had her siting on his lap. Both were naked. and she was directly on his genital area I found that to be very odd!!! We had a argument and I ended our five year relationship and he went back home 1300 miles away. Did I do the right thing by splitting and not letting my daughter be in his presence alone? My daughter is about to be 6 and I had a conversation via phone with her father about it and he swears he meant no harm. Advice is welcomed.
It definitely sounds as though he crossed boundaries, but only you and he would know for sure. It would have been pretty easy to tell if he was aroused.

That isn't what this thread is about though, and I would hate for your story to feed paranoia about opposite sex parents caring for their children.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
My son is 7 has has bathed and showered himself since he was 5. Someone said earlier that a 5 year old would be too young for that but that's not true. I think we have took be careful taking showers with our kids after 5 years of age. They talk and might tell their friends who then might tell their parents and one day the wrong person hears it and that's all it take for trouble to start.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
I let my daughter shower with me (mom) and she's almost 4 she has seen my husband naked before but didn't ask questions or even make a big deal. I find nudity to be a natural thing and don't make a big deal about it. I don't think my husband would be walking around naked when she's 13 lol but she happen to walk into the bathroom while he was showering and me brushing my teeth, and well the shower curtain is clear. I think its normal now a days to be weary of nudity and children because people run their mouths. Look at the poor couple who took pics of their kids in a bath and brought them to Walmart and then had the law come down on them. Pure insanity I mean this kid was literally sucking on my boob 2 years prior while I breast fed so it'd be silly of me to hide now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting