Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHvaris View Post
I am glad I came across this forum. When my daughter was about 8 months I had left my daughter home with her father. I had bath and feed her so she was ok for the night. Well I come back about an hour later because I forgot something. Her father had her in the bath with him. He had her siting on his lap. Both were naked. and she was directly on his genital area I found that to be very odd!!! We had a argument and I ended our five year relationship and he went back home 1300 miles away. My daughter is about to be 6 and I had a conversation via phone with her father about it and he swears he meant no harm.

When I sit down, the juncture where my legs meet my torso is the most comfortable place to put a baby. It also happens to be near where my genitalia are. I placed my baby there regardless of what I was wearing. Perhaps the issue is different because he has external genitalia?

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
1. Nudity does not equal sex or sexual activity.

2. People who immediately think of sex when discussing parents showering/bathing with their children are...Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: You may disagree without name calling

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
If you go to someplace like a beach, there are outside, public, community showers where daughters not only shower with their dads, they shower with strangers.

Why is this suddenly a problem if it's done inside the home?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When I sit down, the juncture where my legs meet my torso is the most comfortable place to put a baby. It also happens to be near where my genitalia are. I placed my baby there regardless of what I was wearing. Perhaps the issue is different because he has external genitalia?
I think the question arose because the baby had already been bathed and fed for the night.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
I look forward to taking a bath with my daughter, although I have never thought of showering with my kid. We're not there yet, but doesn't the kid get cold while mom has the water on her? My dh and I don't like showering together for that reason.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,315,838 times
I personally don't think nudity is an issue. Our almost 3 year old has seen both me and my wife naked and I didn't think anything of it. In fact he's quite baffled by why my wife has no weenie. At first he had thought it had fallen off. But I'd feel a little uncomfortable showering or bathing naked with him at this point. I'm not really sure why. I don't see any issue with parents doing it if they and the kids are comfortable with it though. Not sure about the dad in the previous post who was bathing naked with his daughter after she'd already been bathed and the wife left. At that point it's not about bathing your child, it would seem he just wanted to be in the bath naked with her. Kind of strange

Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As the father of 6 and someone that has helped give baths I see showering as not something that the kids want to do. I see it as not very efficient to be in the shower with them. Kids like to take baths. They want to have a little fun in the tub. Part of the bath time for a kid is playing in the water. Take my 9 year old son. He has had maybe 2 or 3 showers in his young life. He does not want water pounding down on him. He prefers a bath. I see his point. I was taking baths till I was probably 10 or 11. I did not like showers at all back then. My son would take a bath a couple times a day if he could.

Our daughter is 6. She loves to take baths. She even has her bath toys, many of them are dolls that she plays with in the water. She does like having someone in the bathroom to talk to many times. As she is getting older though she is requesting her privacy while in the bath and I offer it willingly. She learned to wash her self by the time she was 4 and isn't that the point to helping out in the tub anyway? Kids need to learn to wash themselves. I don't see how getting in the tub with them helps out. I don't plan on being there in the tub with them when they are cleaning themselves. As far as washing her hair, that is something her mom does, although one night our little girl informed me that she did it herself. She needed help brushing it out. (Boys are so much easier in the hair department.)

The other kids are all 12 and older and have found that showers are the way to go. Then again with the younger kids still wanting baths, it is just so much easier to hit the shower and get out.

As for me, I would have thought it strange for anyone to get in the tub or shower with a child. Not that I am thinking any bad ideas of being in the tub or shower with your own kid, it just does not seem like the best way to get the kids clean. If your child is young and needs to have help bathing, I would think that they will also need help drying off, and getting dressed. How do you do that when you are in the same position? Would it not be easier to just be prepaired to help them out? Also, when you have more than one kid it would be much easier to get one bath out of the way and progress to the next bath.

I totally agree one hundred percent on this whole entire post.

Once my boys were around 11 or 12, they did showers.

Bathing them in a tub was easy, I couldn't imagine standing in the shower with my sons only to be both wet and dripping when we all came out, it makes no sense. i can see standing outside the shower, ready to get them with a bath towels, but not stand in the same place....

and while I see nothing wrong going on here, I am not really thrilled about the father standing in the shower (with bathing suit) with his daughters. I don't really like that too much. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
It's been interesting to see the various responses on this thread. I don't see a problem with it and see it as a part of caregiving. For the guy I mentioned in the OP, he does it because he finds it easier/faster than giving a bath, and the kids enjoy it. I gave him a hard time about the bathing suit, which is due to his own modesty, and he said that he knows his kids will have questions about the differences between males and females, but he doesn't want to be there as an exhibit. That's what led to the conversation about the age where it should stop.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM

168 posts, read 314,324 times
Children should never bathe with parents of the opposite sex. Btw, it's highly unhygienic bathing with another person.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Children should never bathe with parents of the opposite sex. Btw, it's highly unhygienic bathing with another person.
And that would be because?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting