Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM

6,495 posts, read 7,898,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Overkill?!? No, not at all.
Thanks but there's no need for me to click on the links. I think I am pretty OK with understanding allergies. I can tell by your use of exlamation point and mildly insulting choice of words that your passion for the avoidance of peanuts is militant. You can make a career out of it maybe, become an attorney and file class action lawsuits against establishments for the innapropriate handling of peanuts.

Quote:
And a child does not even necessarily need to ingest a peanut, simply sitting in the same room an asnother child eating a peanut could cause a reaction or even death.
And yes, even being in contact with a food that was once in contact with peanut oil in any form can cause a reaction, or again, death.
Seriously, you should educate yourself.
My education is pretty intact (at least average), even on the grave subject of peanuts. Judging from your opinion on it though, I would assume you advocate that kids be left on the couch so they don't die from their allergies.

Maybe you're right. I mean I do see kids dead in the seafood and cereal aisles.

I'm not talking about forcibly shoving a spoonful of peanuts into an allergic kids mouth and then locking them in a room. Again, there were NO peanuts in the crackers. It was a label...these types of labels are relatively new. I didn't read about stories of all the dead kids in their prek class because Johnny brought some crackers to class prior to the labeling.

I didn't realize how serious this epidemic was so based on what you said let's you and I team up and start a charity for the children...PeanutStrong! I'll be soliciting donations for the 5K soon.

Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-30-2013 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: Personal Attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,931,280 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how accurate that lightning strike statistic is....
I hear about children dying from exposure to allergens constantly.
Here are just a few recent ones:
Losing a Child to a Food Allergy: A Family’s Love Story | Inspired Bites
Utah boy
NJ Boy Dies From Possible Milk Allergic Reaction | Gratefulfoodie.com
Page 2: College Freshman With Peanut Allergy Dies After Eating a Cookie - ABC News
According to the Centers for Disease Control on average around 11 people a year, adults and children, die from complications related to a food allergy.

Meredith Broussard: Food Allergy Deaths: Less Common Than You Think

The often cited number of 150-200 deaths a year that is used in many publications is an "estimate" released by the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) which is a lobbying group funded largely by Dey Pharmaceuticals who are the makers of the EpiPen. FAAN is also headed by a former Dey executive. The FAAN number is based on a limited study done in 1999 about food allergies in Olmsted County Minnesota. During that study one person died when their throat swelled while exercising. This death was not directly attributed to a food allergy, but was reported in the study as anaphylaxis. FAAN then used that single death to extrapolate an estimate of annual deaths while completely ignoring the CDC's actual statistics.

The CDC has been tracking the number since 1998 and doesn't even report it in their annual releases because the number is so miniscule. More people die in lawnmower accidents and lightning strikes then do from food allergies. On average 40 to 50 Americans are killed each year by lightning. Time to make sure our schools have Faraday cage's installed over top of them...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Time to make sure our schools have Faraday cage's installed over top of them...
Exactly.

To the one's who still don't get it - please understand, I'm not suggesting that it's OK to bring in a PB snadwich into a classroom if there is a kid with a known allergy. But (I'll say it again) there were NO PEANUTS IN THE CRACKERS. Hello.

It seems so crazy and over protective nonsense. I'm a pretty sensitive guy, I am OK with expressing emotion (I'm a man), and think it's fine if men cry. So don't misunderstand when I say that this is a nutty (pun intended) and panzy a$$ direction we are headed towards (No, I am not a member of the NRA). No Billy...don't touch the mud, it's got germs.

Let's protect our kids in a reasonable and healthy way.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If SHE eats something with tree nuts, she cannot kiss him or sleep in the same bed with him that night. Yes, he is THAT sensitive.
I'll try not to kiss any of the kids in PreK on the lips if I eat a PB sammich then.

I'm joking.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,374,215 times
The whole food allergy thing has gotten a lot worse...SO glad my kids are out of elementary school at this point, because the "not alloweds" were getting stricter every year. I hear they are going to be banning PB&J sandwiches this year...if I had a kid in elementary, I'd have to say something about that (my kids LOVED that sandwich!)

I do feel bad for the kids with the allergies, but if they keep banning certain foods, pretty soon there will be nothing left for the kids to bring in for lunch.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,374,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'll try not to kiss any of the kids in PreK on the lips if I eat a PB sammich then.

I'm joking.

LOL, you had to say you were joking?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
LOL, you had to say you were joking?
LOL, yeah. When I said I was joking, I just meant that I wasn't trying to be insulting to the person who posted the thing about her friend. I didn't mean I was joking about kissing the PreK kids (because as you know, that would be kinda obvious).

Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,870,706 times
Quote:
It was the last day of my kid's preK. He'll be going to Kindergarten in Sept. Yep, the big time!

We brought in some animal crackers to be distributed to the kids for his farewell day. The teacher tells us she cannot distribute the crackers because it has that label that says they were produced in a factory with other machines that may have had peanuts on them.

What would you think of that?
I would think you have a very kind, considerate, careful teacher.

You should be glad the teacher was looking out for the safety of all of her students.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Outside food is allowed in this particular preK. And these are 4 and 5 yr old kids, wouldn't the parents know if they had a peanut allergy. And even if they didn't, the crackers don't have peanuts. You don't think it's overkill?

Edit: I'm sure that many of the cookies and stuff that other parents make at home and bring in are made in kitchens where tehre have been peanuts. They took the class to a Hibachi restaurant when learnign about Asian culture...that restaurant has peanuts in their kitchen. Just ot clarify - it was not an ingredient in the crackers. It was just that typical label that is on many food items that says the crackers were produced in a place that has machines that may have had peanuts on them.

Seemed way over the top to me. Waaaay over the top.
Allergies are private medical information, the school may not have shared that information with you.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
According to the Centers for Disease Control on average around 11 people a year, adults and children, die from complications related to a food allergy.

Meredith Broussard: Food Allergy Deaths: Less Common Than You Think

The often cited number of 150-200 deaths a year that is used in many publications is an "estimate" released by the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) which is a lobbying group funded largely by Dey Pharmaceuticals who are the makers of the EpiPen. FAAN is also headed by a former Dey executive. The FAAN number is based on a limited study done in 1999 about food allergies in Olmsted County Minnesota. During that study one person died when their throat swelled while exercising. This death was not directly attributed to a food allergy, but was reported in the study as anaphylaxis. FAAN then used that single death to extrapolate an estimate of annual deaths while completely ignoring the CDC's actual statistics.

The CDC has been tracking the number since 1998 and doesn't even report it in their annual releases because the number is so miniscule. More people die in lawnmower accidents and lightning strikes then do from food allergies. On average 40 to 50 Americans are killed each year by lightning. Time to make sure our schools have Faraday cage's installed over top of them...
Its because we have become much more aware that deaths are not higher than that.

I had a student just this year leave in an ambulance with sever anaphylaxis over another students eating almonds in the same room.

She easily could have died were it not for the fact that she is nearly an adult and immediately knew what was happening to her. Additionally, the nurses office with the epipen was literally 10 ft away.

If she were a little kid, or we didn't have access to the epipen she could have died and likely would have died before the ambulance came (it took them 12 minutes to get here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting