Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Any experienes with this? I've checked with the airlines webpage and haven't found anything that would speak to this type of item.

I've flown with car seats, strollers, etc in the past ... but have never needed to bring the pack & play until now.

Can you just put it in the basic soft fabric case and check it?
IMHO the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Most hotels can provide a pack n play or crib just check. And you can rent them in many cities. if you have to pay the airline, the math doesn't work.

If your going to visit family, and you plan on being back, just buy a pack n play and have it shipped from amazon ($70 bucks) and leave it there.

I've never had to travel with a pac n play. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Yeah - a lot of good thoughts on this thread.

I'm flying from AZ to upstate NY - not a very easy place to get into and this will be a one time use need. I don't anticipate going up there for another year or two and by that point the kid will be out of the pack & play.

Staying with my family so no hotel provided options.

Small town surrounded by smaller towns with a couply really small cities nearby. The small cities don't have any rental shops. My town also doesn't have such things.

I do love flying SWA for reasons like this. This airline I'm flying considers a pack & play to be non-essential, basically making it luggage subject to a fee. However, for this particular flight SWA was $600-$700 more expensive across 4 tickets (as was pretty much every other airline). The price difference will not only cover my baggage fees but also my rental car for the trip.

I'm going to have my mom check out the thrift shop in town and also ask around - maybe some others in the grandmother set have a spare laying around. Would be nice.

Not super expensive to check it (would be $40 round trip) ...... however, would probably get banged up a little bit and hauling bags and 2 small children the less additional I need to take the better. Found some decent priced options online (around $60) so I may just buy one and then donate it when done and consider the $20 the cost of convenience.

Good info on the thread though - it is appreciated

Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah - a lot of good thoughts on this thread.

I'm flying from AZ to upstate NY - not a very easy place to get into and this will be a one time use need. I don't anticipate going up there for another year or two and by that point the kid will be out of the pack & play.

Staying with my family so no hotel provided options.

Small town surrounded by smaller towns with a couply really small cities nearby. The small cities don't have any rental shops. My town also doesn't have such things.

I do love flying SWA for reasons like this. This airline I'm flying considers a pack & play to be non-essential, basically making it luggage subject to a fee. However, for this particular flight SWA was $600-$700 more expensive across 4 tickets (as was pretty much every other airline). The price difference will not only cover my baggage fees but also my rental car for the trip.

I'm going to have my mom check out the thrift shop in town and also ask around - maybe some others in the grandmother set have a spare laying around. Would be nice.

Not super expensive to check it (would be $40 round trip) ...... however, would probably get banged up a little bit and hauling bags and 2 small children the less additional I need to take the better. Found some decent priced options online (around $60) so I may just buy one and then donate it when done and consider the $20 the cost of convenience.

Good info on the thread though - it is appreciated
Baby Equipment Rentals in New York - Strollers, Car Seats, Cribs, High Chairs | Rent Baby Equipment

I doubt you can fly to New York without going through a city

Or have amazon ship this one to the address, and skip the hassle of carrying it Amazon.com: Cosco Juvenile Funsport Play Yard, Kontiki: Baby

$45 bucks

Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM

appreciate the links .... I've hit both of them myself

I get into Harrisburg (PA) a little after 8pm the make the drive up to NY

closest place on that list to where I'm at is in Buffalo and that's over 2 hours away

I liked the cost of the Cosco one and I have amazon prime so if a prime vendor is available it's free 2 day shipping .... the size is a bit of a concern though as the measurements are a lot smaller than the one we have now

My mom said a coworker has one that they need to dig out of the attic that they would be willing to sell, but she won't see it to the end of the week ... sounds like that could be my best bet now

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
appreciate the links .... I've hit both of them myself

I get into Harrisburg (PA) a little after 8pm the make the drive up to NY

closest place on that list to where I'm at is in Buffalo and that's over 2 hours away

I liked the cost of the Cosco one and I have amazon prime so if a prime vendor is available it's free 2 day shipping .... the size is a bit of a concern though as the measurements are a lot smaller than the one we have now

My mom said a coworker has one that they need to dig out of the attic that they would be willing to sell, but she won't see it to the end of the week ... sounds like that could be my best bet now
You could also go to craigslist for the area. . .

Though Size shouldn't matter as long as the baby fits. Sounds like the cost for this one time use via amazon (and then selling it on amazon) would be better than paying a airline.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
This was a disappointing thread. I didn't know what a Pack N Play was, but from the sound of the thread title it was something that could help you fly.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This was a disappointing thread. I didn't know what a Pack N Play was, but from the sound of the thread title it was something that could help you fly.
Thanks for the laugh!

I would like to fly, too.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would like to fly, too.
What makes you think I can't?!

Since I know that everyone is really excited and interested to see how this turned out I guess I should give an update on how everything has been resolved.

craigslist was the best outlet for finding one in my area .... still a bit of a needle and a haystack, but if it came down to it there were 3 options within roughly a 30 minute drive, so that wouldn't have been to bad (which is funny, because back there a 30 minute drive seems like you are going forever skipping from town to town, past lakes, etc ......... here in Phoenix 30 minutes is just moving a little bit through the city and you don't think anything of it)

However, through the small town old fashioned way my mom threw out the question to her coworkers if anyone had one. One of her coworkers called up her friends who would be in the position to have one available. Her coworkers friend had one and within 15 minutes of the request they worked out to exchange the pack n play for $20 a couple days later. Awesome. When we leave we'll just stash it up in the attic for any future little visitors.

I definitely appreciate all the suggestions here.

Now onto packing the kids carry on bags.............

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
What makes you think I can't?!

Since I know that everyone is really excited and interested to see how this turned out I guess I should give an update on how everything has been resolved.

craigslist was the best outlet for finding one in my area .... still a bit of a needle and a haystack, but if it came down to it there were 3 options within roughly a 30 minute drive, so that wouldn't have been to bad (which is funny, because back there a 30 minute drive seems like you are going forever skipping from town to town, past lakes, etc ......... here in Phoenix 30 minutes is just moving a little bit through the city and you don't think anything of it)

However, through the small town old fashioned way my mom threw out the question to her coworkers if anyone had one. One of her coworkers called up her friends who would be in the position to have one available. Her coworkers friend had one and within 15 minutes of the request they worked out to exchange the pack n play for $20 a couple days later. Awesome. When we leave we'll just stash it up in the attic for any future little visitors.

I definitely appreciate all the suggestions here.

Now onto packing the kids carry on bags.............
Thanks for the update. I suspected that borrowing or buying used baby equipment would be fairly easy for grandma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting