Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,430,902 times

Advertisements

There are two SAHDs on my street.

I know one fairly well. He's an attorney who walked away from the rat race. He homeschools, knows all the neighbors by their first names, is married to a very nice woman, has terrific kids, well-behaved dogs, drives an environmentally sound car, walks two miles at a brisk pace every morning, and, whenever I peek in his cart at the grocery store I'm reminded that he's a lot more careful about what he feeds his family than I ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,637,202 times
We have quite a few in our community. I think it was more of a thing before the economic downturn, but now it's quite well accepted around here.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:52 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,429,932 times
DH makes way more than I ever could. Even when he was laid off, when our youngest was a baby, I still did most of the work. He could always think of something he had to do, someplace he had to go. I don't think it would work for him.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,406,512 times
I really think it depends on the people. It can be like the guy who said he could never do it, he'd find it too emasculating and humiliating, or the guy whose wife never let him forget that she made more $$ than him. Or it can be a partnership where both sides are grateful for the other's unique contributions. It also requires that both people are secure AND mature. No belittling allowed. No trying to "one-up" the other on who does more or who suffers more. You have to let a lot of stuff go, either in word or in deed. (Like not bitching when the dishes aren't done, and not complaining when you don't get time alone).

It can work -- some of us are living proof -- but it is not the norm, sad to say, even in these more-enlightened times, and some folks delight in making us feel somehow lesser because we have different roles. Why? Who knows. I guess it makes them feel superior.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,748,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Would I be one? Hell yeah I'd be one. Watch TV, cook and have free time all day while the woman brings home a ton of money. Yeah, life sounds like it'd be sooooo hard.
Cook two to three nutritious meals a day, pay the bills and manage the household budget, keep the home stocked with necessities and groceries (this means shopping with kids), clean the baseboards and trim and blinds and light fixtures and corners and walls and windows regularly (not to mention the floors, bedding, dusting, vacuuming, mopping, toilet scrubbing, etc), attend all school functions, drive kids to all after school activities and doctors' visits, including orthodontics appts, music lessons, sports, etc., keep yourself fit and healthy by exercising regularly, keep the flower beds and garden flourishing, help with homework and school projects, clean up poop and vomit and pee and blood when necessary, keep various pets alive and well taken care of, spend quality time with each child and your spouse every day...and then tell me how much free time you have to sit around and watch TV.

By the way, my youngest daughter is active duty Air Force and her husband had to get out of the military due to health issues. They are currently stationed overseas, and they have three girls ages 2, 5, and 7. He is a SAHD and does a TERRIFIC job with those girls - and he's a great cook as well! He does all of the above and then some - and is about as manly as they come. I am very proud of their family.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM

122 posts, read 108,643 times
I am one and I hate it. Counting down the days until school starts back.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 AM

391 posts, read 845,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Do you know any? Guys, would you be one?
Hell yah I would be, I love my son.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM

30,705 posts, read 80,329,380 times
I would love to do that, but I make ten times what my wife makes so it is impractical. We would have to move to a trailer park, dump the pets, default on some debt. . . it would be a mess.

I do not think I woudl have loved it when the kids were babies. I do not like babies all that much. I have no interest in being covered in anyone's slimy effluvia. Post diapers and other uncontrolled slimy emissions, I would love to do it. Kids are great. I enjoy housework when I have time for it. It allows you to achieve a feeling of immediate accomplishment. Obviously it is not all roses, but I think I woudl enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,453,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Would I be one? Hell yeah I'd be one. Watch TV, cook and have free time all day while the woman brings home a ton of money. Yeah, life sounds like it'd be sooooo hard.
If that is your concept of what parenting involves then it can only be from lack of experience on the matter - and if that is how you would parent a child I can only hope that you never have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutePwnage View Post
I've had women flip out at me when I asked her to pay dutch or the whole FOURTH date (after I paid for the first three), so I'd imagine the relationship would be kiboshed the second I wanted to stay at home while she worked. Do women actually exist that would be fine with their husband staying at home if the situation called for it in short stints?
You appear to be attracting some pretty awful women then and I do not think your sample set is representative at all. I think most PEOPLE (not splitting this into women and men) when they get together - and have children - simply want to do whatever is best to financially support the family unit as a whole - regardless of which (or both) parents this means have to go into the work force in their particular case.

The decision to be (or not be) a SAHD should be based on what is best for the whole family - not what sex each person happens to be.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 AM

741 posts, read 1,296,048 times
My Husband would be one in a heartbeat. I'd love to make triple my salary in a secure field and let him stay home. He has day dreamed about it on and off. Once I went back to work from maternity leave he took two weeks off to stay at home with the baby before grandparent care kicked in. He loved it. I'd come home everyday, he'd be strutting around with a towel on his sholder, burping a baby. Rug vaccumed, something in the microwave, complaining about an unorganized linen closet.....ah....it was THE LIFE for a working life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting