Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,640,396 times

Advertisements

This conversation got started on another thread as an aside to a different topic. I think it deserves its own thread. "My" soldier is my nephew, but most who post here talk about their sons and daughters serving, so I thought Parenting was the best place.

Here are some things my nephew has requested. I can't wait to see what others send. We need some new ideas!

Unscented baby wipes (Everything there is dirty, all the time)
Jerky
Proteins of any kind, including tuna and salmon in pouches or cans,
SPAM, Vienna sausages (I know, but when they're on long missions they'll eat anything), canned chicken, etc.
Hard candies like lemon drops, Jolly Ranchers, peppermints, etc.
Coffee
Clean white cotton socks. They have many uses; even as coffee filters!
Games like chess, checkers, etc.
Magazines and catalogs, Soduko, cards, etc.
Colored pencils/charcoals and sketch pads.
Disposable cameras
Int'l phone cards
EmergenC drink packets
Pictures from home- even the most mundane things are welcomed. My nephew's unit has them all over a big wall. Everyday scenes like birthday parties, hikes, fishing, BBQs, etc.

I'll add more to this later, but you get the idea. Also- we send food and non-food separately, and put anything strong-smelling or potentially leaky in freezer bags before shipping. No one wants sugar cookies that taste like jerky!

If you'd like to help, but don't personally know anyone serving right now, don't let that stop you! It amazes me how many don't get ANYTHING. Anyone who posts here can give you an address and that soldier will pass it on to someone who needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,334,641 times
All good ideas. Thanks for making this thread. My soldier is my brother.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 AM

145 posts, read 375,523 times
if you get him a magazine get him something good like Maxim. My hubby loves it and it actually has some good stuff in it.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,022,891 times
Last year there was a web-site to adopt a soldier for Christmas. Then you would purchase various items on the site, and they would ship it to a soldier. I can't think of the site, but I'm sure it'll come up soon.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,981 times
My son my hero!!

Bandanas
Chap stick
Goldbond foot powder
Powdered Gatoraid or the likes
Books
Clothes line and wooden clothes pins.
Deck of cards

Remember...if it melts....not a good idea

Thanks for this tread!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Thank YOU! I hope your son comes safely home soon. Please thank him from your friends here on CD.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,372,970 times
My cousin is now home safe, but he wanted magazines, "chew", and my kids would color pictures for him. He loved those!! I love all the ideas on here!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

My nephew was having a problem communicating via email or myspace. He can modify his myspace and get messages fine, but outgoing is a problem. This made it difficult to let us know when he rec'd our boxes. Well, his sister came up with a clever solution. He changes his mood word on his myspace page whenever he gets a delivery. We each have our own code word. For instance, when he gets one from me, he changes his mood to "full", from his sister it's "happy", and so forth. We tried to get him to use our first suggestions llike giddy and feminine, but he wouldn't play along

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem. Beats having to use up those phone minutes every time they get a care package! I meant to put this on the first post. It's SUCH a great tip!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,382,282 times
My BIL was in Iraq until a few weeks ago. He liked the Crystal Light individual drink packets. They were easy to carry with him and use. He also liked the Folgers Individual Instant coffee sticks. Again, its easy to carry around.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Glad your BIL made it home safely! I've never sent the coffee singles. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting