Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 PM

298 posts, read 335,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Thanks for the note, but I agree with the others who said my going down as a tagalong would be a terrible idea. There's a host of practical reasons why it would be impossible but even if there weren't, I'd think it ill-advised. This is her time to spend with her friend and that family, to get away from us for a week. It really would be awful for me to impose myself into this scenario.

I appreciate all the support here. With the passing of days I realize now that hormones had a lot to do with my feelings when I started this thread. I feel better now and am seeing more of the bright side of the situation. Our original summer plans for my daughter can be changed with less hassle than I'd imagined, and our other daughter will benefit from more of our parental attention while G is away.

So it's all good.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea.

It's not like you would be the only adult there.

You wouldn't be imposing, especially considering another whole family is going!

What are the other practical reasons why it would be impossible?

I actually really do care to remove that doubt from your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,959,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
It wouldn't be a terrible idea.

It's not like you would be the only adult there.

You wouldn't be imposing, especially considering another whole family is going!

What are the other practical reasons why it would be impossible?

I actually really do care to remove that doubt from your mind.
OP wasn't invited. Her daughter was. It is imposing if the OP decide to invite herself along.

If she was uncomfortable with her daughter going out without her, then OP only need to say no.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 AM

298 posts, read 335,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
OP wasn't invited. Her daughter was. It is imposing if the OP decide to invite herself along.

If she was uncomfortable with her daughter going out without her, then OP only need to say no.

OP wasn't invited because of space considerations.

If she gets her own hotel room, there would no space problems, which makes it OK for her to go.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,466,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
OP wasn't invited because of space considerations.

If she gets her own hotel room, there would no space problems, which makes it OK for her to go.
BFFs family is going on a pre-arranged house-share vacation with yet another family we don't know at all. I am only on vague speaking terms with BFFs mom and dad as it is--we only see one another as we wave in driveways. I'm quite sure they wouldn't have "invited" us to stay in their house no matter how much space there was. This is their annual vacation thing, and we have no part of it. (However, if this goes well, NEXT year I am absolutely going to suggest that we share a house together. This year there just wasn't enough notice to make such a suggestion, and in any event their plans were already made. Let's just hope the girls are still BFFs...)

For this year it's not like the BFFs family--or even my daughter--would mind if I (and my husband and other daughter, without both of whom I wouldn't go anyway) rented a room somewhere nearby the same week. If it were just me and I insisted on spending loads of time with her and her friend/friend's family that would be rude, imposing, and embarrassing as hell for G. But even for the three of us it's impossible for practical reasons. That particular week is not one that I or my husband have free--both of us work full time and have to plan vacations far in advance--and as it was we had to shuffle around G's schedule to make it possible for HER to go.

In any event, the vacation I am mourning is the renting of an entire house as a family at the gorgeous beach we went to before, not three people jammed into a motel room somewhere. Been there, done that. The good news is we've made plans for later in the summer to go somewhere else as a complete family.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,140,542 times
You actually realized you are being irrational and went in search of ways to improve instead of rationalize. That sounds like good parenting to me. Best of luck dealing with this; you are more mature than many parents.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM

793 posts, read 1,353,321 times
Agree with lurtsman.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,715,493 times
I have had the pleasure and good fortune to provide my children a lifestyle I only wish I had...I have to admit when I hear either one of them start to bemoan what bad luck they have in a trivial matter I feel some resentment towards them...it's a human emotion not an attractive one but real nevertheless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting