Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,531,953 times

Advertisements

My mom is planning on taking my daughter to Paris next year. I'm not invited. She never took me or my sister anywhere like that.

I realize that I'm jealous and I'm not ever saying anything about it but there it is. We are after all only human
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,393,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My mom is planning on taking my daughter to Paris next year. I'm not invited. She never took me or my sister anywhere like that.

I realize that I'm jealous and I'm not ever saying anything about it but there it is. We are after all only human
Yes, but maybe your mother couldn't at that time. How fortunate for your daughter - will she be learning French?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

298 posts, read 335,667 times
@OP: I sent you a message about some hotels in the area that only cost $70/night.

I implore you to take me up on that advice and go spend the vacation with your daughter!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,968,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
@OP: I sent you a message about some hotels in the area that only cost $70/night.

I implore you to take me up on that advice and go spend the vacation with your daughter!
She doesn't need to go on that vacation with her daughter. That daughter just received a very special privilege of spending a very nice vacation with her friend's family.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,618,923 times
Quote:

Terrible idea. She's 14! She doesn't want her mom "intruding" on her vacation with her BFF. That would be weird, trust me.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,513,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Thanks, everyone. I know I'm being ridiculous, but wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

I do find that every triumph my daughter has is poignant, since my own childhood/adolescence was difficult. I'm glad beyond measure that DH and I are giving our children a peaceful, stable upbringing with no drama. I didn't count on how it would make my inner child feel.
Hang in there, Sanderling. Being a mother is fraught with emotions, and menopause does indeed suck.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,043,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Thanks, everyone. I know I'm being ridiculous, but wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

I do find that every triumph my daughter has is poignant, since my own childhood/adolescence was difficult. I'm glad beyond measure that DH and I are giving our children a peaceful, stable upbringing with no drama. I didn't count on how it would make my inner child feel.
You are entitled to your feelings. Even if you think they are irrational they still exist. This is a good place to let them out.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 AM

19,998 posts, read 30,513,722 times
you have protected and enriched your daughters life - from your own experiences-thats what good parents do
even when the echoes in past, distant winds are painful.
thats how i raised my son- i tried to share in his joy, the opportunities i didnt have, and it was liberating-also keep in mind-you are one of the most influential persons in her life and a role model as a mom- you are setting "norms" as how she will be raising your grandkids.

if you can raise a daughter/son that has much more confidence, than we, ourselves, ever had, thats one heck of a gift you gave her- she can take on the world and hold her head high---damn good job!!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,472,023 times
Quote:

Thanks for the note, but I agree with the others who said my going down as a tagalong would be a terrible idea. There's a host of practical reasons why it would be impossible but even if there weren't, I'd think it ill-advised. This is her time to spend with her friend and that family, to get away from us for a week. It really would be awful for me to impose myself into this scenario.

I appreciate all the support here. With the passing of days I realize now that hormones had a lot to do with my feelings when I started this thread. I feel better now and am seeing more of the bright side of the situation. Our original summer plans for my daughter can be changed with less hassle than I'd imagined, and our other daughter will benefit from more of our parental attention while G is away.

So it's all good.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM

298 posts, read 335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Terrible idea. She's 14! She doesn't want her mom "intruding" on her vacation with her BFF. That would be weird, trust me.

The BFF's mom is there, so it wouldn't be weird.

It would only be weird, if say, the girls were 19 and all going with their friends, and one mom insisted on going.

In this face, the daughter's parents are the only adults NOT there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting