Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
By then, you should have a solid relationship/marriage (so less chance of becoming a single parent), and a good career, to provide for the child, as to not suck tax money from hard working people.

For example:

A family headed by a single parent can cost the tax payer nearly £6 million.

£5million: The extraordinary sum it can cost the taxpayer to support a single mother of three on benefits | Mail Online

I've noticed all the wealthy couples I know don't have any children at all.

Why don't people make wiser choices?
I can tell you one reason. My niece has a condition that makes it difficult for her to get pregnant. And that condition will worsen and worsen, making her odds lower and lower as she grows older.

Should she wait? Of course not. You shouldn't judge, without knowing the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^=
I waited until I was married before I had children.

Same here, but that doesn't make me any better than anyone else.
Yes it does. And it's not even close.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Im not sure if the topic is having kids under 30ish or having kids on welfare.
People have been having children forever before the age of 30ish. Until recently, IMO, couples were mature enough and finanically able to have children in their 20's and even late teens. They didnt have PhD's or master or 60,000 in the bank, but thats not what it takes to be a parent/family.
Apparently for young people today its financially more difficult or people are spoiled, entitled and immature. Kids are living with and depending on their parents into their mid 20's. They are more into doing for themselves, partying, travel, etc. So, yes, they should wait before having children. This is all a different issue from having children while depending on welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryazer24 View Post
"The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" and the only resolution is to educate ones self to know that they should wait and earn their degree and money first
There is a downside to waiting on that degree and money, neigher of which makes you a better parent. Older parents physically and medically have a more difficult time conceiving and delivering and taking care of children. A couple I know just had twins at 43, they also have a almost 3 yr old. By the time they start college they will be about 60. They may never live to see their grandchildren. (I know this can happen regardless of age). This couple has relied heavily on their parents and I dont think they could do it without them.

If everyone stops having kids until their mid 30's we will lose the grandparent/family dynamic. I think that will be sad. I have great memories of my grandparents and I have grandkids of my own and Im young enough to be able to do lots of things with them.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Same here, but that doesn't make me any better than anyone else.
Don't misunderstand. I didn't say those who waited, such as I did, are "better" individuals than anyone else. It makes them more mature and responsible people.

Does that mean a "better" person to others? Maybe so.

What's better about waiting until marriage is the situation for the child most of all... and it's better for the taxpayer as I never took a dime from the Gov (taxpayers) to raise children.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I can tell you one reason. My niece has a condition that makes it difficult for her to get pregnant. And that condition will worsen and worsen, making her odds lower and lower as she grows older.

Should she wait? Of course not. You shouldn't judge, without knowing the facts.
As long as she doesn't end up on welfare, she should not wait. I assume she makes enough income to raise a child alone.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Because condoms are 99.9% effective. There are 365.25 days in a year. A young couple having sex three times a day are pretty likely to have a child within a year if they are using condoms.

Because they are ready to start a family. My wife and I took (take) our marriage commitment very seriously. We were engaged for two years. We wanted to have a family when we were young so we could still have fun with them when they became teens. We also wanted to have kids while my wife was still able to revocer from pregnancy quickly, less likely to develop complications and we were both still sufficiently energetic to deal with little ones. I was making well over $100K a year so we were able to pay our bills and still eat well even though we could not afford a house (renters are not supposed to have kids?). I cannot remember which of our kids were intentional and which were not, but it does not matter. We were not interested in killing them for convenience and we were happy to have them. Life is not all about finacial matters. What one person thinks is being able to "afford" kids may be different for another.

I had a girlfriend in high school whose dad was in his later 70s. He was senile and a huge embarrassment to her. Sometimes when I ws around heir house, he woudl mistake me for her or for her brother. Generally if he told me to take out the trash, I just did it, but it mortified her. He died before she finsied college. I would not want my kids to have to deal with that.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
. Low income Poorly Educated - They typically lack poor arental supervision and sex is an inexpensive form of entertain and escapism. This leads to premarital sex and teenage pregnancy and children
Premarital sex becoming so acceptable is a big part of the problem. And I'm not moralizing here but what GOOD did the sex revolution it do? Endless streams of boyfriends, but seldom a husband. Numerous fatherless children and parasitic women living in poverty. SDT's, some fatal and some chronic are as common as squirrels in parks, out-of-wedlock babies are as well, causing a burden on society and generations of fatherless children. These of the poorly educated and low-income people will repeat the mistakes of their parents (some do pull themselves out of the morass for a better life).

Why aren't these young ladies NOT taught about protecting themselves from pregnancy and disease and men who only want them for sex? How can they be so stupid, to blind to think because a man takes them to bed that he loves them? Apparently the parents and churches are not doing their job.

And lastly, why do so many young mean feel nothing for the children they father? No love for the children and no sense of responsibility? When they (most of them, not all) hear the girlfriend is pregnant they take off, knowing society will be forced to raise their children. What kind of parents raise sons like this?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Because condoms are 99.9% effective. There are 365.25 days in a year. A young couple having sex three times a day are pretty likely to have a child within a year if they are using condoms.

Life is not all about finacial matters. What one person thinks is being able to "afford" kids may be different for another.
Use your common sense here. If a woman or teenager has to go on welfare, SHE cannot afford to have children. It's not different for different people. It's a simple across the board fact.

Quote:
I had a girlfriend in high school whose dad was in his later 70s. He was senile and a huge embarrassment to her. Sometimes when I ws around heir house, he woudl mistake me for her or for her brother. Generally if he told me to take out the trash, I just did it, but it mortified her. He died before she finsied college. I would not want my kids to have to deal with that.
This doesn't apply. Even a young person can suffer an accident or stroke leaving them (brain damaged) just like this senile dad in his 70s. Most people in their 70s are not senile. Few people wait until their 50s to have children. Many women are already going into menopause by then. He has a younger wife you say? If he's in his 50s, to have teens in his 70s, he's thinking of retirement, not starting with infants......

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM

606 posts, read 944,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
What's better about waiting until marriage is the situation for the child most of all... and it's better for the taxpayer as I never took a dime from the Gov (taxpayers) to raise children.
Then you're, statistically, extremely unusual. A solid majority of people who are raising kids qualify for a child tax credit of up to $1,000 per child (if a single parent is making under $75K or a married couple is making under $110K), above and beyond the standard dependent deduction. Many more people take tax deductions on their child care expenses. Not to mention that approximately 90% of Americans send their kids to public school, and in the vast majority of cases their own property taxes don't fully cover the costs of educating their kids.

Those are all entitlements. Just because they don't come with a government check doesn't mean that money isn't flowing from society as a whole to parents -- it absolutely is.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't get it either but in Illinois we glorify teen pregnancies and out of wedlock ones. It's disgusting because a married couple who falls on hard times will struggle to qualify for assistance but a single mom who keeps making babies will find it is is easier to have more kids. Why they don't go after the dads no idea but some of these scummy guys end up making many babies (we have the serious baby mama/baby daddy issue).
This isn't just going on in Illinois. It's common all over the USA. Making it worse is the lack of sex education of the young ladies, and even some foolish older ones who think if a man sleeps with them they're both in love and he'll be around etc etc etc.... they don't seem to learn from what happens with friends. They don't learn after having one or two children whose fathers fled long before they were born. They can't seem to accept that the men are USING them for sex and couldn't care less about them and any children they father. Can they even be educated about such matters? And who should do it?

I still say cut off the welfare and other freebies and watch the birth rate drop among these women. That will get through to them when little else seems to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting