Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,127 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother of two children, on 13 and one 16. My 16 year old daughter is spending more time at home that she used to due to her studies. Since the end of summer I've noticed that she's been cutting down on underwear at home. Although she's dressed nicely to go out etc however, at home her clothes have turned skimpy, including in the garden which we share with 1 neighbour. I've brought up the subject a number of times, she just brushes off and now she keeps saying she'll be 17 soon. In all fairness it wouldn't bother me that much if it was just us two, but her dad and brother are there too. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Quick replies are very welcome, this is the only day my daughter and me are alone for few hours!
Thanks again

Last edited by Valmoss; 12-09-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,834,676 times
Have your husband address it with her, from his point of view, that it's embarrassing for him to see her that way. That'll probably have more impact.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,127 times
Hello

Thanks! Well my husband has done something on those lines, but at the moment it doesn't seem to work, she'd just accuse him he's behaving ''like a male''.
Also I'm trying to sort things out when we'r alone at home without the boys, i don't want her younger brother getting into this if possible.
Thanks

Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Have your husband address it with her, from his point of view, that it's embarrassing for him to see her that way. That'll probably have more impact.
That's a good suggestion. Also who is buying her the clothes? At age 16, parents should still have control over what kind of clothes are purchased. Dad could address it -- either through humor or serious that she needs to keep her parts covered.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmoss View Post
Hello

Thanks! Well my husband has done something on those lines, but at the moment it doesn't seem to work, she'd just accuse him he's behaving ''like a male''.
Also I'm trying to sort things out when we'r alone at home without the boys, i don't want her younger brother getting into this if possible.
Thanks
You might want to ask her why she feels the need to reveal so much of her private parts in the home, what is she trying to accomplish. And don't take any of the crap that revealing clothes are more comfortable because that is just crap. Would she like to see her male family members flashing their private parts at her constantly.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,334,912 times
you might also think about some quiet time alone with her away from the house. Talk about anything but her clothes. Just have a cup of coffee together or food court type thing. Let her lead the conversation. See what comes out (without you bringing it up). She already knows how you think.

So just see what is going on in her life. There may be an underlying issue that she may discuss if she feel comfortable.

or not, but at least you had a nice quiet time together.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You might want to ask her why she feels the need to reveal so much of her private parts in the home, what is she trying to accomplish.
I suggest this also. You are basically calling her on her behavior, because she knows good and d*mn well why she chooses those clothes.

Once it's out there, if she continues, she will then be willingly choosing to do it. She obviously has gotten some favorable attention somewhere and is experimenting with the power of her form. It would be a good time to share that how we act and what we wear elicits reactions from people that we cannot control. A wise person chooses clothing that is comfortable for everyone around them and appropriate to the situation.

You also could wear your most revealing clothes while gardening!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,313,819 times
She has clothes on correct? I just don't get how you are noticing she isn't wearing panties unless she is wearing skirts.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,313,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You might want to ask her why she feels the need to reveal so much of her private parts in the home, what is she trying to accomplish. And don't take any of the crap that revealing clothes are more comfortable because that is just crap. Would she like to see her male family members flashing their private parts at her constantly.
Revealing can be so subjective to the individual though.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,007,283 times
Turn down the thermostat for starters. That alone might do the trick.

But, your original post is a bit confusing. Is she merely going braless at home? I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting