Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that so many people on this thread claim their kids are only doing sports for the fun, the benefits of competition, etc. My kids did competitive gymnastics, and believe me, by age 10 the parents were talking about the scholarships they would get. Most of these kids did not even continue in gymnastics through high school, either on a club or in HS gymnastics. I only know of one person (not at my kids' HS) who got a gymnastics scholarship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I find it interesting that so many people on this thread claim their kids are only doing sports for the fun, the benefits of competition, etc. My kids did competitive gymnastics, and believe me, by age 10 the parents were talking about the scholarships they would get. Most of these kids did not even continue in gymnastics through high school, either on a club or in HS gymnastics. I only know of one person (not at my kids' HS) who got a gymnastics scholarship.
Knowing a few gymnasts (either through work or my DD's friends), I am told that gymnastics scholarships are few and far between. Some gymnasts also competed as divers and that's where they received scholarships.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Knowing a few gymnasts (either through work or my DD's friends), I am told that gymnastics scholarships are few and far between. Some gymnasts also competed as divers and that's where they received scholarships.
Yes, the scholarships are few and far between. But you would be amazed how many parents don't seem to know that.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
We most defiantly were thinking scholarships when DD was 10 or so. She has a natural talent for the sport and scholarships are actually pretty plentiful. What people DON'T understand is hardly anyone gets a "full ride". The dollars still help though.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Quote:
I am completely honest with myself about my DD's athletic ability. There will not be any athletic scholarships in her future. I am just happy if she can make it a full day without tripping over her own feet or running into a wall.

Any sport that she plays is purely for fun.

Ok, and sometimes for my amusement.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am completely honest with myself about my DD's athletic ability. There will not be any athletic scholarships in her future. I am just happy if she can make it a full day without tripping over her own feet or running into a wall.

Any sport that she plays is purely for fun.

Ok, and sometimes for my amusement.

My biggest sports freak was like that as a young child. He SO wanted to go to a major college on a big time basketball scholarship but making the C team in 8th grade kind of dashed his hopes but we did point out his grades were good enough to get into that school without the scholarship. His application went in and now the wait....

Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Most kids who fall into this category go the JUCO route to meet the NCAA clearinghouse. Perhaps he is not college material. It can't be a surprise to his parents that his grades are not that good. Surely they knew he would have to meet NCAA clearinghouse standards.

You would think so, his mother is a teacher. I do believe they were hoping his athleticism would get him into college when his grades wouldn't.

What is extreme involvement? I don't consider travel teams at the U11/U13/U15 level to be extreme involvement. I am surprised to see so many U9 travel teams popping up. It seems pretty young to me. My son has asked for private goalie training. We haven't gone this route, preferring for him to participate in regular camps/clinics which are more social. However, he has asked to do private training in lieu of camps this summer. He still wants to participate on a summer travel team. We are considering it. The reason he gives is that camps do not focus on training goalies and he wants to train as a goalie. He is almost 14.
Good question. To me, extreme involvement would put the sport ahead of the overall family life. "No trip to the beach this summer kids, we'll be heading to PA for the Little League world series instead". Dinner is always eaten on the run, expenses tilt towards the team, etc. Sometimes it really is fun for the entire family. My younger boys used to love going to baseball games when their big brother was playing, and we all became close to other families. But I've had to find babysitters on school nights for the younger boys so I could drive 50+ miles each way with the eldest for a travel team game. It wasn't easy on any of us.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,364,074 times
Quote:
My son (a swimmer) wasn't involved in competitive swim at age 10 . He learned to swim when he was around 5, chose not to join a swim team when his ability was appropriate for a team, quit swimming, and was involved in other sports. A year before entering high school, he thought about applying to a high school out of our district and thought if he got in it would be good to join a team to meet others, and decided to go back to swimming. During the past 3+ years he advanced to state level. He enjoy's swimming, however as far as I'm concerned can stop any time he wants, it's all his choice. BTW, he never got into the other high school! Funny how things turn out.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
My oldest daughter wasn't involved at all in the sport (track) until High School. The coaches kept telling us how fast she was and how she could run at a collegiate level. We never pushed her to do it. We never insisted she accept any scholarships, if she wasn't interested in the school, so she turned down 2 of them. She was told to go to the best school she could get into and we'd pay for it - which we did. She was a straight "A" student, so she went to the Ivy League - which doesn't offer athletic scholarships.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Scholarships By Sport

Pretty much every NCAA recognized sport has scholarships for both men and women. I don't know where the other poster got the idea that you can only get them in football, hockey and basketball.

You table shows allowed scholarships, not available scholarships. In many sports there are no scholarship realistically available for men. In some there might be one or two men who get a scholarship on a team and those are usually miniscule amounts while women in the same sport are getting full rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting