Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 AM

497 posts, read 1,694,741 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how do you go about homeschooling your children? Like how do you choose a curriculum? Are there state laws that you have to follow as far as curriculum wise? Do the parents actually teach the children or do they bring in a certified teacher or something because I realize not all parents are equipped to teach things like calculus, biology,etc because it's really not their subject. So how does that work? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM

264 posts, read 820,033 times
I have no personal experience with this, but was told by a home schooling mom that alot of the work/lessons are on the computer these days, esp. in the upper grades, so the parent does not have to be an expert in the subject in order to "teach" it.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,988,301 times
I was wondering how do you go about homeschooling your children? Like how do you choose a curriculum? Parents homeschool with varied methods. I personally read reviews of homeschool curriculums, look at them at homeschool conventions, and make my decisions accordingly. We're pretty eclectic, and use a variety of books, workbooks, and other learning methods on different topics and subjects. Other parents choose a "curriculum in a box," which has the same company for all (or most) core subjects.

Are there state laws that you have to follow as far as curriculum wise? That depends on the state. Some states are very regulated, and other states have no or very little regulation. A certain number of homeschoolers in each state "fly under the radar," and don't comply with the laws, but I think that the majority do follow the laws.

Do the parents actually teach the children or do they bring in a certified teacher or something because I realize not all parents are equipped to teach things like calculus, biology,etc because it's really not their subject. So how does that work? My kids are in first and third grade, so I'm equipped to teach them their current subjects. As they get older, I anticipate considering sending them to a private high school or community college for some subjects. Other options include simply using a curriculum geared towards higher level math and science, finding a private tutor or mentor, and utilizing a homeschool co-op.

I hope that answered your questions! There are as many ways to homeschool as there are homeschoolers, so probably other people will have different answers.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 AM

650 posts, read 2,180,381 times
We purchase much of our homeschool curriculum from rainbowresource.com. I read up on the books or ask friends how they have worked for them before I buy. Sometimes curriculum is not a good match for a particular child.

My kids take classes with other homeschool moms for art, home ec, science and geography. I teach a history class for homeschoolers. None of us are certified teachers and we all use the classes as a supplement to our teachings at home. If my kids reach a point where I can no longer teach them all they need to know, I have no issues with finding a teacher/parent/class to help.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,946,800 times
We "homeschooled" for a semester, last spring. We used COVA (we were in Colorado at the time) but they are in many states - I think the website is k12.com. Do a search for "virtual academy" or "online public charter school" and your state.

The way it works -the kids have a teacher that they speak with via a computer and a parent is a "facilitator". The state paid for everything - books, computer, monitor, microscopes, scales, feathers, paints, music instruments, textbooks, reading books, a printer, internet access ... the list goes on and on. In some states you are reimbursed for Field Trips! The lesson plans were flexible and easy to follow, attendance & progress is entered into the computer nightly for the kids. Statewide mandatory tests were administered at various places throughout our area - we chose the place & time from a list and dropped off our child to the care of certified teachers.

They coordinate activities for the kids, have an online system that allows you to "hook up" with other homeschoolers in your area and suggest homeschool co ops and other meet ups.

If we ever need to homeschool again, that is the way we would go.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,919 times
If I were to homeschool my plan was to look at a complete program like Calvert or possibly Seton. I don't plan on it but if it becomes necessary for whatever reason, that is my first choice. I would definitely choose an accredited High School program if I were to HS at that level - I know someone who hsed her kids all the way through and she chose an accredited program to ensure the fewest amount of problems, if any at all, with college applications and acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting