Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old wears makeup sometimes. I bought her some shades that look nice and neutral and showed her how to put it on. She's using Maybelline BB to cover some spots that she's getting on her forehead and nose, it goes on very natural and light looking.

Middle school is such an awkward stage, if a little makeup will make your daughter feel more comfortable, it might not be a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,459 times
I'm a guy so I really don't know much about makeup yet i think that considering her age, 11 or 12, Makeup should be kept at a low minimal.
As she gets olders, restrictions become lighter.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
With my kids, I made a decision that anything that is just temporary isn't a very big deal. They can experiment with hair, clothes, etc., make-up isn't a big deal to me because it can be washed off. My daughter didn't want to wear makeup until sometime in high school, she preferred nail polish, all kinds of colors and would put blue or green in her hair before she cared about makeup.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM

18,394 posts, read 19,027,378 times
I would let her wear a light color lip gloss and maybe a touch of blush, if you say no to it all, some kids just wait till they leave the house before they put on a full face of make up

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I remember the big make up fight in 11th grade. I WANTED her to wear at least mascara and lipstick to the prom and she refused! She's 29 now and I don't think she even wears any to this day. maybe a tiny bit for work but probably not much more than sunblock on her face with a dusting of powder. She has beautiful skin and eyes. She is Korean and mascara just doesn't work for her lashes.

In my community I don't see the painted lady look like I used to in the 80's and 90s. Seems everybody is very subtle and light around here. My girlfriend's daughter just started experimenting a bit and she is a freshman in high school.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It is not surprising that she is asking in 6th grade.

Are you a mom who doesn't wear ANY make-up and doesn't believe in it? Or do you just think she is too young?

I don't think a little blush is that big of a deal. You could a nice moment out of going to the store and helping her choose the right color, then showing her how to wear it. It's a rite of passage, and it can be a nice memory if you turn it into something fun.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
My daughter is in the 4th grade and I cannot begin to imagine her wearing make-up in 2 years. I think around 16.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,689 times
Timely thread. DD is 12, and in 7th grade. She has been wearing a little eyeliner, tinted lip gloss, and mascara to school. I had told her no makeup outside of the house, but she's been wearing it anyway. When I point it out, she says "oh, I just curled my lashes", like I am stupid or something, lol.

I guess I don't have that much problem with it, as she is better than applying makeup than I am. Most of her friends wear it, too. She's lucky her dad is oblivious, though. He thinks she should be 16-18, if at all. My biggest issue I guess if that while 12, she looks older anyway. She's got her period, wears a bra, is as tall as I am now, and just looks older. Makeup just makes her look that much older, which is not something that is a good thing I don't think.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It's a big, bad thing if parents make it a big, bad thing. If you act like some blush and lip gloss is going to set her up for a lifetime of working the stripper pole, she will only feel shame about something that, for most western girls, is a large part of the culture.

So you are not thrilled that she wants to wear makeup at her age. But you know it is something she is feeling conflicted about (balance b/t pleasing you and pleasing her peers). Rather than setting you and your daughter up for more conflict, manage the situation by letting her take one step (blush, lip gloss, something minor) and making a big, NICE deal out of it.

You don't have to take her to Merle Norman and get the full foundation/concealer/eyeliner/powder makeover. Just a little bit will go a very long way with her.

One bit of blush won't turn her into this:

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 05:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,444,941 times
I started at 14 when I went to high-school ...and I think that will be a good enough time for my daughter too.
Below 14, I am iffy about it. After 14, I will actually strongly encourage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting